Notices

Don't know where to start...

Old 05-29-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beginner

Don't know where to start...

I have a question about the 12-Step Treatment Program. I am 19 and I live in Seattle. I'm looking into this because of my excessive drinking and drug use. I am alone in this journey since my friends and family are all involved in that lifestyle. I have been reading over the 12 different steps and wanted to know what the time frame is for each one. It says take time on certain ones and I feel like I'm going to fast for real progress. For the past few hours I've been writing about each step and learning a lot, but I'm already to step 5. I guess I'm confused if I'm actually reaping the benefits by going so quick. Please email me @ [email protected]. I would appreciate a reply. Thank-you.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((((((abergirl)))))))))
Halo, my names Brett, an alcoholic. Got sober over in Kirkland Redmond area myself. Attended a lot of meetings there in early Sobriety. I would suggest calling either the AA or NA hotline numbers in your local phone book to begin with. I can PM you the AA one shortly after I dig it up from an old schedule if you wish. Glad you made it to SR. I would suggest not rushing into those Steps but find a sponsor if possible face to face who has been through which ever Basic Text you are going through presently.

(((((((((Abergirl))))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service,
Brett
Old 05-29-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Abergirl - great decision especially being so young!!! Awesome!

My advice : look up the nearest AA meeting (you can phone them even arrange for someone to pick you up or meet you outside the venue) That's where it all starts..it's great that you are showing so much initiative re the steps, and no work you have done has/will be wasted...however, first things first...go to your first meeting...I won't say TRY cause that could end up taking years, lol! Just do!

You will find support, empathy, warmth, fun and a whole new wonderful way of life. You deserve to give yourself this gift.

Welcome to SR!

Love
Cathy31
x
Old 05-29-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello and welcome to SR! As others have said, I think it is great that you are so young and are seeking help. Good for you. However, I would not recommend trying to work the steps on your own. It is important to have a sponsor who has worked through them before to help guide you. Not to mention that there is more to recovery than just working the 12 steps. I think it is vitally important to get the support and fellowship you can only get from face to face meetings. Do everything you can to not pick up a drink or drug--Look up AA or NA in your area. Start going to meetings and meet some people. And keep hanging out here. You will find alot of very supportive people.

Hang in there!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Trust me you are not alone in this. There are people to help you here and many in the rooms of AA or NA. Being that your problems are with both drugs and alcohol I would suggest NA as some AA groups do not like to talk about drug problems. However, NA considers alcohol to be just another drug. The 12 steps are really not meant to be worked alone, but with a sponsor. You will learn more about sponsorship at a meeting. Feel free to post any other recovery questions you may have. There are also other programs other than 12 step treatment programs you may want to look into also. Take care and keep posting.