Notices

please advise using methadone for detox

Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

please advise using methadone for detox

i am going to start detoxing myself from opiates ( i am taking about 40 percosets a day for the past month) i will be using methadose. do you have any advice or can help with the usage schedule?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to
SoberRecovery!!!
:na2

And congratulations on getting clean! Did the prescriber or the pharmacist not give you instructions on how to do this? Seems like they are the ones you should be asking this. They can also give you stuff like clonidine to help with any "breakthrough" withdrawal symptoms. I'd say work closely with a professional during this taper, so they can minimize your discomfort.

For your long-term recovery, I highly recommend involvement in a support group such as Narcotics Anonymous. It can make all the difference in the world! Best wishes and let us know how you're doing and how we can help, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-29-2005, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

My wife works at a program that has methadone as part of it. Oops, ex-wife I mean. One thing she recomends is that you have a plan for getting off the methadone, it is addictive and a drug too, not as bad as pills, but a drug no less. Methadone detox can be very difficult, so know this going into it. It is better than the pills, but you are trading one addiction for another, just be aware of that, alot of comercial places won't let you know that because they make money off of you having to dose there. It can be a good thing, but be aware of the risks. Take care.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

Eddie and Tyler said it perfectly.
See a doctor about dosages and then getting off of the Methadone. My wife use clonadine for her withdrawl from hydrocodone/vicodin. It helps. She has also used some herbal stuff from the health food store for releiving stress. Kava Kava root is one of them.
Keep coming back and good luck
Jeff
Old 05-29-2005, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I don't know about the Kava Kava. We were told in treatment to steer clear because it can be mind/mood-altering itself. When I was detoxing, I drank good old chamomile tea with lots of milk. Very soothing. And very safe. Best wishes!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-30-2005, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

Originally Posted by eddie z.
I don't know about the Kava Kava. We were told in treatment to steer clear because it can be mind/mood-altering itself. When I was detoxing, I drank good old chamomile tea with lots of milk. Very soothing. And very safe. Best wishes!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Thanks. I will pass that on to my wife and not pass it on to anyone else.
Jeff
Old 05-30-2005, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you said "i am going to start detoxing myself from opiates ", where are you getting the methadone from?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have started my detox...i last took percoset 12 hrs ago and i started with 15 mg of methadone..i feel fine now..i will gradually cut back on the methadone by 20 percent each day until i get down to 5 mg which will be in 5 days then i will just stop. so far so good
Old 05-30-2005, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I choose to live

I wouldn't use it on my own...Like someone said it's a drug too and adictive too...But it's the only way so u wont get an psychical detox...Make sure the doctor (and especially yourself build it down...After a few months...Cos it really is a drug too and otherwise u would only replace one addiction with another...Anyhow I wish you all the best and be very proud you get this far...Love from Stefanie
Old 05-30-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good stuff on wanting to stop comingdown, but you still haven't answered my question........ where are you getting the methadone from?

are you in a clinic?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by jcw1964
I will pass that on to my wife and not pass it on to anyone else.
You're welcome, Jeff!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-30-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

no i am not in a clinic i am home and still hanging in there
Old 05-30-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Are you getting help from a doctor?? Are you doing it on your own? I don't believe anyone here will advise you to do it on your own. If you are doing this on your own, and getting the methadone from some where other than a doctor , who knows how to prescribe it, you may be switching one drug for another, far more powerful and harder to get off from in the end. Please go see a doctor, if you aren't working with one now. There is ALOT of support here at SR, we are all here for you, but you really need to go about getting help the right way, so you don't make it worse. Check out NA/AA. There is also much support there. Love, Becky
Old 05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by comingdownnow
no i am not in a clinic i am home and still hanging in there
I guess folks are just worried about you trying to do this on your own, that's all. Do you take the 15mg just once a day or several times? I'm glad, though, that it's going all right so far! Just keep on posting and let us know how we can help? And I would stay in close contact with your physician through this, too, as I probably mentioned before. Take care!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-30-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks for the support...i took 15 mg more which will be all for today a total of 30 mg. i will cut back to 25 mg total for tomorrow and keep cutting back 20 percent each day untill i am 5 mg and then the plan is to stop. so far so good , i dont feel good but i am determined to tough it out no matter what it takes. i am lathargic but not in alot of pain so i am optimistic. after my last dose of 5 mg what should i anticipate?
Old 05-30-2005, 07:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by comingdownnow
after my last dose of 5 mg what should i anticipate?
You're welcome and I wish I could answer your question. Maybe someone else will come along who has direct experience they can share. In the meantime, just hang with us and continue to let us know how it's going.

Love and hugs,
Eddie