Notices

Employment in Recovery

Old 05-28-2005, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Employment in Recovery

I will be "celebrating" my first year shortly, but hardly feel like celebrating. With three DWIs, one a felony, and an aggrataved harrassment charge on my record, I cannot find ONE decent job. I have no problem securing interviews, and often am asked to return, however, after the usual background check, most interviewers will not even take my follow-up calls.

I have a degree in chemistry and economics, and do have excellent, albeit dated, references. I have tried the honesty approach as per my sponsor's suggestion, which only gets me a pat on the head, and a quick end to the interview.

I have been reading on the Net about changing one's identity. I was wondering if anyone else has been forced into this step? I understand this certainly not in the category of rigorous honesty, but what other choices are there? Am I doomed to a life flipping hamburgers? Any success stories or solid info on ID change ( I am NOT talking about identity theft) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jeff
Old 05-28-2005, 10:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know it may seem frustrating but I would keep trying before I would go as far as changing your identity. I'm sure you'll come across someone you recognizes how educated you are and the potential you have to offer their company. Your only human and everyone makes mistakes and there are a lot of people out there that believe in second chances. Keep trying!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

Way to go on your sober time!

Never heard of changing your idenity. How would you deal with your Social Security account? And the IRS? Any your banking and utilities companies? And your fimger prints?

If changing your idenity site wants money...Hmm???

How about the alcoholism/addiction industry?

Many of us got new carreers from other recovering AA members. Ask around your meetings.

Stay in focus...stay in sobriety.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

I know employment issues are very frustrating. I had to deal with that for quite awhile. No one wanted to touch me with a ten foot pole due to my past drinking. Your day will come. There is a plan for you. It takes time and patience. I now that is a difficult thing to aquire when the rent is due, but it will happen when the time is right. Someone out there will be willing to give you a chance to shine. The new identity thing? Not a good idea for obvious reasons. Sounds complicated and dishonest. Good luck...
Old 05-28-2005, 11:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

The extent of your background check should be on your application, which typically you fill some time early in the interviewing process.

If it only checks felonies, I'd leave all non-felony incidents out of the interview. I would agree with the advice to be honest, but keep it short, and only related to what may be asked for in the background check, including how you have learned from the incident, optimistically without seeming to dwell on the subject.

You may have more luck with smaller companies, who typically dont do the extensive background checks that someone like a large bank may do.

You might also try the old fashioned way of joining associations related to your field or a group like Toastmasters (the irony is killing me) to network your way into a company by meeting folks in your line of work who are aware of your entire story, not just a line on a background check.

Just a couple suggestions.

- Greg
Old 05-29-2005, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

I am in the UK. We have the 'rehabilitation of offenders act', a law which after certain lapsed time periods an offender (not working with vulnerable children or adults)need not declare their offenses. However, changing your name would not absolve you from this in the UK.

I have been turned down at 20 years sober for having a drunk driving conviction in 1982. (Ambulance driving policy).

For most jobs I would only tell them what I am legally obliged to. For social care jobs where there are vulnerable people I might reveal even my 'spent' past if I think not doing so might backfire later on.

Unless there is a legal or practical reason to reveal your past Iwouldn't say anything. It's good to get rated, compared and employed alongside non-alcoholics.

I had to live with the the consequences of my actions and after a short whine it is to be accepted and absorbed in the grand scheme. I have a criminal past some of which can never leave me and will always be revealed for some jobs no matter how much time has passed - that's something I did (abeit forgivably) to myself. Other people cannot fulfil their dreams or are handicapped because they live in poverty in Africa or they choose to look after a sick parent or child, etc. Nothing's ideal.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jack

?

Last edited by jbm125; 05-29-2005 at 06:19 AM. Reason: delete
Old 05-29-2005, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jack

Play now, pay later

Hi Jeff, changing you ID will lose you your degrees, experience and anything else you'd be proud to put on a resume/application. Not what you want if you plan to stay in the field you've been in. Networking at AA/NA meetings, professional associations, social organizations where you don't mind sharing your true past with one or two discreet potential employers are all good ways to find a job. I would think at this point just a foot in the door till you prove yourself should be your goal. AA/NA meetings would be best because you wouldn't have to go into your background too extensively. They probably know or guessed what it would be and they're the kind of people who'll give you a chance. Independent consulting or contract employment is another way to go if that's applicable in your field.
It worked for me in the IT/telecom industry.
They say we pay in sobriety for the sins of our addictions. All too true. I wish you the best of luck. God bless.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jack

addition

Hi...Sorry for the redundant messages. It had something to do with the posting. I guess I hit the wrong button, maybe twice. God bless.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On a tear

Why was this moved to follies?

[Eek!] Somehow *I* got moved... from follies to Newcomers. (Always tryin' to blame someone else, aren't I?!)

Sorry (blush)

Last edited by BigSis; 05-31-2005 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Because I don't know where I am, apparently....
Old 05-31-2005, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanx

Just wanted to thank y'all for providing some feedback. I understand that things will occur on God's schedule, not mine, but at least he could provide a timetable....lol.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
9:40 5K

Hiya Jeff,

I was just thinking you could find some volunteer opportunities. Lot's of good can come from that:

a) current references
b) make connections for employment
c) keep you busy, get some pride and satisfaction going...

(When I first started freelancing, I did a few pro-bono jobs and it worked like a charm to get things moving along.)

Also, I've found this on-line board to be a really good resource:
http://albany.craigslist.org/
Old 06-01-2005, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

How about working for yourself Jeff.??

No one needs to know doo-didly squit then

Seriously - you sound like an intelligent guy - your recovery is going well - how about it.?

much love
JC
Old 06-01-2005, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmm since my background is a lil ehm messed too I've been playing with the idea of starting my own business.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Just A Diva With A Purpose

Jeff--the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says that in God's hands our past is our greatest asset. Let the Force guide you and don't quit five minutes before the miracle happens. I found that I could achieve things in recovery I never even visualized in my addiction. Who would think that a former prostitute, dope dealer, thief, go go dancer could end up working in television? The first year of my recovery was incredibly hard emotionally and financially. I remember clearly standing in the IHOP on the 3rd shift with my tips for the night equaling 50 cents thinking--"God, I don't want to drink or drug again--but I would like to die." At that moment I couldnt conceive of ever having a car, a place to live, and enough money to pay rent/water/lights. I had to make a decision to work nights--sleep a few hours and continue to look for more lucrative job opportunities by day. It worked, and the story is too long for this forum--but, it happened--I've been employed for 13 years by a TV station, and been sober for 16yrs. Ironically I also work a second job as a cleaning lady when I'm not at my day job. And there's no shame in my game--I'm a darned good cleaning lady and I'm earning my money standing up with clothes on. No shame in my game today. Keep hope alive! Queenshenique