So bored....

Old 05-28-2005, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

So bored....

This weekend is difficult for me. exABF and I were supposed to go camping, he had it all planned out and was excited; another one of his "plans" only to decide to ditch everything and leave.

SO, I'm very bored, trying to keep myself busy, but there isn't a lot to do in this town besides go to the local bars. Any ideas? I'm spending the weekend alone, I don't have any close friends. There is only one Al-Anon meeting today and I missed it earlier. There isn't another one until Monday night.

This weekend is difficult, as someone said on another post, its kind of like the big "party" weekend. I feel like such a loner not having any family or close friends.

Any ideas would be great!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

sounds like a good time for a road trip! Get a map, find a place you have never been, and get the heck out of dodge! This is assuming you drive. If money is an issue, instead of spending money eating out and/or shopping, pack some food and use the money on gas and maybe even a cheap motel. Take a book. Sit outside of the cheap hotel and people watch and read a good book.

There are a bunch of little towns within 3 hours of here where big city artists/sculptors, etc have decided to settle. They got out of dodge too! I can get lost in other's craftsmanship as I don't have a creative bone in my body.

A different atmosphere does the body, and soul and mind good.

I know it is difficult taking that first step to go and do. I have been there, just wanting to stay cooped up in my "safe" house. I pray you will find the courage and strength to do something for yourself this weekend.

If you can't leave for a day or two, try a local church. See if they have any activities/picnics/celebrations. One of our local churches does a huge concert featuring patriotic songs and then picnic and ice cream. Again, listening to good music, may help you "get out of yourself" for awhile. I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all - I know myself, I get "stuck" feeling bad about the situation, unmotivated to do anything about it, and sink deeper into depression.

YOU GO GIRL! JUST DO IT!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh Savannah, I think a drive sounds good if you can do that, my mind is drawing a blank! Probably because it's a big jumble in there. I hope you find something though. I am going to drive out to my sisters and take the dog for a walk for a couple hours and just sit out in the yard there and try to get myself into a better place mentally. Seems all I can think of is how I wish I was at home working on the house or the yard, and I sure as heck don't even want to think about the blasted happy holiday weekend....i am looking forward to this drive. I am glad I finally have a car to drive. Do you have some country roads to drive on? I love doing that and listening to whatever music I want, or none even. Are there any good movies out, is War of the Worlds out yet?

I hope you feel better, wish I could think of something. I just wanted to say I understand how you feel I'm feeling pretty much the same way today and hope your day goes better
Old 05-28-2005, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, so much for walking the dog it's pouring down rain and thundering now. Savannah if nothing else well I'll come on here and talk to you because things ain't lookin too good for me either! I still hope you find something
Old 05-28-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

count me right in with you two. i went over to my new place today,brought some stuff over and put it away...i thought doing that all weekend would help, but its not. i am just like you with no one to do anything with. i could hang out with my kids, but im just not up to that. actually, dont know what i am up to........my funds are very low,so im limited....nights are the worst for me. i was glad for the long weekend,figured i can get alot done at the new place, but its gonna be a rough one,i think.i have to keep reminding myself that though the ex has his new woman with him this weekend, if i had been with him,it would have probably ended up still being a very boring weekend!!
Old 05-28-2005, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Some ideas:

Read and drink coffee at Barnes and Noble

Go to the airport and people watch (Not kidding, its fun!)

Go to open AA meeting, lots of fine peeps there, free coffee and good recovery messages

Make yourself a picnic, go to local park, read your recovery books

Feed the ducks at local canal, pond

Get out into nature, watch a sun set

Go to McD's. watch small children laugh and play

These things may sound silly, but if you go with an open mind, you will be amazed at how just being in the presence of human beings an transform your mood.

I, too, am bored and sad at this long weekend. I went to my meeting this AM, talked on phone and assembled some office furniture in the afternoon, and tonight wil go to another meeting, (Very luck in Miami, we have alot of meetings). Mon, having some al anon friends over to make some crafts for upcoming Alateen convention., Tomorrow? Who knows,,,will wing it. One thing I do know, I have a life,a nd will do what I can to live it.

Savana, you need friends,,,reach out to the fellowship, do service, set up chairs , voluteer to be on committes,,you will soon see that you are never alone and will have things to do and people to do them with!!
Old 05-28-2005, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FriendofBill
Go to open AA meeting, lots of fine peeps there, free coffee and good recovery messages
good idea. i am too late for today (the ones that say "O" for open were about an hour ago) but will keep this in mind for the future.

so they do not mind, if I go in there alone, as an alanoner, and not with someone in aa? i never second guessed it until i actually planned to go just now.

Cloudy
Old 05-28-2005, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Those are some creative ideas FOB and wraybear. Thanks! I seem to forget the simple things in life, I don't know why that is? Maybe because I have been involoved with an A for the last two and half years...

I used to love doing things with my son. Baseball games, going to the park, movies,taking him swimming, he used to love when I would take him out to restaurants even when he was only 10 years old. I miss him so much...

I never seem to think I deserve to do anything for myself sometimes. I want to change that mindset, but sometimes its hard too.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

You can absolutely go to an Open AA meeting alone! Hey, their fellowship is just like ours,,open, inviting filled with warm people. I have always been received there with big hearts and hugs.

They too are sometimes skittish about attending al anon meetings. We try to make them feel very welcome and that they are not the enemy, which sometimes they tend to think.

Intersting how we both feel that way about the "other" fellowship.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

True. I don't feel like the enemy so much but more like an intruder. But you're right. On my Friday meeting which is my very favorite one, they have AA just across the hall and I always am there early and go say hi and get a cup of coffee. I'd go to that one if it weren't for the fact I'd miss my favorite Alanon :- ) Thank you Friend

Savannah, how did your night go, I hope it was alright. How are your animals doing?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

My day and night was alright.Thanks for asking cloudy!! I stayed home and did a lot around the house that needed to be done. I really need to try and get out though today. All the animals are good; I've got three rescued guinea pigs, and two rescued rats, and my 6 month old Golden Retriever. He's so much fun! I'm going to try and go to the Dog Park today if the wind ever stops.

cloudy-how was your night and what did you do yesterday?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You have to love animal lovers!!! I hope things improve for you, you deserve to be happy. You sound very kind and caring, spread that to yourself to!!!