Notices

walk the walk

Old 05-27-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

walk the walk

People may doubt what I say, but they always believe what I do.
--Ellie E.

It's maddening and frustrating when people don't believe what we say. Not that they think we're liars, exactly, just that they don't believe us. When we tell them we've made a commitment, for example, they may just roll their eyes as if to say, "Oh sure, tell me another one."

Actions speak a lot louder than words. Before, maybe many times before, we might have told the same people about making the same commitment. And then we gave it up almost as soon as we said it. Eventually our words have no credence to anyone including ourselves. If we want people to believe us, we have to follow up on what we say. We have to make a plan of action and stick to it. Talk is cheap.

It is amazing how quickly we can regain credibility when we walk our talk.

Today, I will be aware of talking a better game than I play. I will not say a thing today that I can't back up with action.

Have a beautiful clean and sober 24 my friends...and i'll take one myself!!
\\// Wendy
Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey Wendy...thanks for posting this. I can definitely relate. My parents and those closest to me take whatever I tell them with a grain a salt...and I don't blame them in the least. I knew if I was someone else, looking in on what I was saying...I would be wary too. It is nice to know that this can change...in time of course...as long as you keep doing the next right thing. For a lot of newcomers, with every good intention they may have, they might not exactly know what it takes. I know when I first became a member here about a year ago, I really wanted to stop drinking. I thought that I had it all figured out...but I quickly learned after a couple of relapses that that wasn't so. Stubborn? Me? NO WAY! Thank God, I finally had some light shed on my situation after this past relapse...but I think a lot had to do with the fact that I admitted I was utterly and completely defeated. I had nowhere else to go, but to accept the truth for what it was. Self-knowledge alone wouldn't help me recover...I knew I was (am) alcoholic...but it wasn't enough. Finally, I have accepted that I have lost all power of choice in drink. I have an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind. All the information, speeches, movies, etc can't cure me of this dis-ease. I have to walk the walk and do whatever it takes so that I don't have to contend with alcohol and all the suffering it brings. One day at a time, of course.
Thanks again, Wendy. Has Hope been MIA as well? My prayers are with her, too.

Danielle
Old 05-27-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

yes, thats how i do it...everyday...accept that i am a drug addicted alcoholic...surrender to a power greater than myself...what i have today is an obssession of the mind for recovery going to those great lengths for serenity, sanity and peace of mind. If i am walking the talk, setting an example for my children, my peers and doing in my heart what i feel and know to be right I can go to bed at night with a clear conscious and what i reflect on that i could do better the next day or amend then thats what i work on tomorrow. It is a one day at a time thing, period. And i must remember everyday that i have a disease and do what i can to keep it in remission.
I to relapsed a year ago...my family really gave up hope on me. Today they are seeing a new me. A clean and sober me and learning to trust me more and more. I have hope today. I almost gave up on myself. Thank God I saw the light to!!! I'm almsot positive I'd be dead today.
I really try to think twice about my choice of words today...the concept of a promise has changed for me. I've learned to never say never...But i can live in today..and promise I won't pick up that first one TODAY. That's all i must concern myself with.
I haven't seen Hope on here for a while, I am praying for her too!!
Stay safe and smilin'
\\// Wendy
Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is funny about sobriety: sure is hard to say something knowing you don't mean it or that it isn't true now. It hurts to do that without the alcohol in you to kill the pain. I used to lie to my wife about my drinking, hide the cans, etc., etc. and not give it a thought. Now I do try to be honest in everything I do. Funny how it works...

Daniel
Old 05-28-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

funny how it works....
My concsience is bigger than life these days!!!
Actually sometimes it pi$$es me off!!lol
someone told me once if i'm considering doing or saying something and i have to lie to even one person about it...including myself...then it';s not worth doing!!! now that's keeping it simple!!
Then there is lying by omission....thats a concept in itself...