Canadian Thanksgiving - And I am Grateful

Old 10-09-2002, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Canadian Thanksgiving - And I am Grateful

Hi gang

This weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving, and it is a time when I remember all the many things I have to be grateful for...so I thought I would start a list...feel free to add your list to this

I am grateful for my health. I'm not so young anymore, nor am I an old lady, but this is a time in my life when I look around and see that not everyone has made it this far in good health. I am grateful for a body that funtions and a mind that works (most of the time ). Thank you God.

I am grateful to live in a free country and have the best neighbours in the world to the south. Thank you America.

I am grateful for the 12-step program and all it has taught me. I am grateful for my she-devil sponsor who keeps me on track, and I am grateful for all the pain that brought me here, because without it I wouldn't have what I have today. Thank you Bill Wilson and all those original 100 who took the time to write it down.

I am grateful for my family...as dysfunctional as we may be at times. I love them all and feel blessed to have them in my life. Thank you family.

I am grateful for my cat, Toby, who loves me unconditionally and dances on my head to wake me up in the morning. Thank you Sheila for giving him to me.

And I am grateful for these boards, and every single person here. From those who got here before me, I acquired wisdom and hope, and from those who came after, I acquired compassion and understanding and a reminder of how wonderful this program is to have brought me this far.

Thank you friends, for being here always, for loving and caring and sharing and for holding me up when I am exhausted and for making me laugh when I really need to laugh.

I love you all and am thankful for each one of you.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Well that answers my question. I saw Thanksgiving on my calendar and wondered what it was. I had to look on next months calendar to see if they changed ours, lol.

Happy Thanksgiving Ann. I'm thankful you're here with us.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-10-2002, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anns and MG - I'm grateful to YOU, and to all the other people on these boards who help me realize that I can find the courage to change. God Bless you all, and Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canucks!
Old 10-10-2002, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Happy Thanksgiving Margo

You've helped me so much.

I'm thankful that you and all the others here are a part of my life.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-10-2002, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!! Guess I am a little behind. I am still under the weather. Better late than never I guess!!

Love you guys!!
Debbie
Old 10-12-2002, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

I am thankful for all the good things life has to offer, my family, my friends, my wit (hehe) I'm also thankful for ALL the bad life has offered this far, without it, I have learned nothing!

Be well everyone!
Old 10-12-2002, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I would certainly be interested in hearing how your Thanksgiving originally started. What do you eat on Thanksgiving? Is there a traditional meal?

I'm curious.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-12-2002, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Yes MG - We eat moosemeat and jerky LOL. Just kidding - we eat big fat juicy turkies.

I have no idea how ours started...we probably saw what fun our American neighbours were having with this and decided that we needed to be thankful too. I will search the net and see if anyone knows the real start. Maybe the other Canadian here know...come out come out wherever you are.

I am cooking turkey, turnip (a must), potatoes (need something to hold the gravy) and corn. I usually make my mother-in-law's cranberry recipe which is ground cranberries and a little orange and orange peel added...YUM. For desert it is definitely pumpkin pie with real whipped cream!!! No other option here - pumkin pie it is. And the stuffing is the best part - I do a traditional bread stuffing with onions, celery and sage....no fancy add raisins or sausage for me.

You have me hungry now - I'll be looking like a stuffed turkey when this is over.

I have lots for everyone, if you all care to join me. My house is your house.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Sounds very similar to ours Ann.

I love pumpkin pie.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-12-2002, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Okay MG - I am going to try to cut and paste here....well poo - it didn't work, but if you click on this you will see our history LOL.
I'll practice MG - and I'll get this cut and paste down pat...this old dog can learn new tricks.

http://www.kidsturncentral.com/holid...anksgiving.htm
Old 10-12-2002, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Happy
Thanksgiving
Canada
Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated on the 2nd Monday of October. This year Thanksgiving will fall on Monday, October 14, 2002

Thanksgiving in Canada has generally thought to come from three traditions.

European farmers in Europe held celebrations at harvest time to give thanks for their good fortune of a good harvest and abundance of food. They would often fill a curved goat's horn with fruits and grains. This was known as a cornucopia or horn of good plenty. When Europeans came to Canada it is thought to have become an influence on the Canadian Thanksgiving tradition.

Around 1578 English navigator Martin Frobisher held a ceremony, in what is now called the province of Newfoundland to give thanks for surviving his journey there. Other settlers later arrived and continued these "thankful" ceremonies. This was also thought to be an influence on the Canadian Thanksgiving tradition.

The third influence happened in 1621 in what was to become the United States. Pilgrims celebrated their first harvest in the "New World". Around 1750 this celebration of harvest was brought to Nova Scotia by American settlers from the south. At the same time, French settlers arriving were also holding feasts of "thanksgiving". These celebrations and offerings of "Thanks" influenced the Canadian Thanksgiving.

In 1879 Canadian Parliament declared November 6th a day of Thanksgiving and a national holiday. Over the years the date of Thanksgiving changed several times until on January 31st, 1957 Parliament proclaimed....."that the 2nd Monday in October"........"be a Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed.".

In the United States, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the 4th Thursday of November according to a declaration by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863. If you think about it this does make sense - since in Canada we have a shorter growing season and our harvest is sooner then in the US - our Thanksgiving celebrations should be earlier to celebrate the harvest time.

Old 10-12-2002, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks Barbiedeb

YEAHHHH!!!!!! THIS TURKEY IS A CUT AND PASTE ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!!! HAPPY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

THANKS MG!!!!! FOR THE LESSONS AND THE NUDGE!!!!
Old 10-12-2002, 06:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Thanks Barbiedeb. That was interesting. I never knew all of this.

Ann !!! Good Job. Now you can cut and paste a book if you want to.

The possibilities are endless.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-12-2002, 06:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anns - LMAO! Moosemeat and jerky indeed.....Actually, I just got through baking 2 pumpkin pies and I'm waiting for them to cool (yum! yum!) Actually, they're supposed to be for dinner at my brother's tomorrow, but we'll see if there's any left by the time I go to bed tonight

Barbiedeb - that was so interesting! Thanks for posting it.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Old 10-12-2002, 07:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks MG - that was so cute! Is that a disguise from the Survival Kit?

Last edited by margo; 10-12-2002 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Old 10-12-2002, 08:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ahhhh - You guys are great!

The invitation still stands - and Margot - you can provide the pies.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! AND HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY TO MY FRIENDS IN THE USA!!!
Old 10-12-2002, 08:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Fantastic Member

Anns, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Heyyyyyyy you look like a young turkey to me!
Love Kitty : )
Old 10-13-2002, 01:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Now if I just had that motor home,
I would be rounding up the gals and
knocking on your door!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs,