Notices

Memorial Day

Old 05-25-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lightbulb Memorial Day

If you would, please take time to say a prayer for all the men and women that have died fighting for our freedom. please keep in mind the people on here that have family serving as well.

thanks

chris

Originally called Decoration Day after the Civil War (1861-1865), Memorial Day has been a day for Americans to remember all U.S. men and women killed or missing in action in all wars. The American tradition of Memorial Day began more than 100 years ago. It was at the end of a brutal war, a war in which brother fought brother and the best of friends became the worst of enemies. It was the Civil War, one of the worst wars ever fought by the people of this nation, and it was fought on our own soil. It is believed that Memorial Day began when two Civil War veterans saw a woman and her two children decorate the grave of a fallen soldier with flowers. At the end of this war this became a familiar site as family members of the many soldiers slain in battle would visit the grave sites of their fallen relatives or friends and decorate their graves with flowers. In 1868, General John Logan, commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, ordered that the 30th day of May be designated for the purpose of decorating graves of the war dead. General James Garfield spoke at the first national observance of Decoration Day on May 30, The northern states celebrated this day every year, but the southern states celebrated a day similar to this on a different day until sometime after World War I. In 1882, the name Decoration day was changed to Memorial Day, and in 1968 Memorial Day was declared a national holiday to be held on the last Monday of May every year. The modern celebration of Memorial Day is similar to the original celebration, but today we have expanded upon the original idea.

Today, Memorial Day is a time of the year when people come together to honor their close friends or relatives who have died. It is still very much about honoring America's fallen service men and women. such as in gatherings at places like the Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia to visit such moving tributes as the tomb of the unknown soldier, which represents "every man" who with bold patriotism layed down their life for this country. It is a day to celebrate and thank all people who died to create the freedom we enjoy today. This day of memorial is something ingrained in our culture, and in - every culture of the world - a tribute, to honor the people who embodied the dreams and the passionate fire of an entire country. Parades, tributes, special memorial services are held throughout the land. Memorial weekend, has become in more recent times, also a time for the beginning of the summer season. Families go for picnics, open their cottages, plant their flowers, and begin their "weekend vacations".
Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know little about American history Zing. I will nonetheless salute the people who died for their cause.
Peace my friend indigo
Old 05-25-2005, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I learned something from that. Thanks for sharing the history.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Prayers...

Peace
Old 05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes I

honor Memorial Day by attending the services held by our comvined veterns service organizations.

And my nightly prayer includes those who fight for freedom.

'All gave some...some gave all'
Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

My son is serving in the United States Navy on the USS Nimitz in The Pacific headed west. Thanks for your prayers.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Thanks for sharing, my son is on the Truman, they just got back from the Persian Gulf after 6 months Second stint over there for him.

Tell your son we're all proud of him
Old 05-25-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Please tell your son we are very proud of him as well.