Notices

Relapse Symptoms Check List

Old 05-24-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
living clean and free

Relapse Symptoms Check List

EXHAUSTION: Neglecting rest and health. Good health and enough rest are important. Feeling good helps good thinking, and feeling bad generates deteriorated thinking.

DISHONESTY: This begins with a pattern of unnecessary little lies and deceits with co-workers, friends and family, often followed by excuses for not doing what you should be doing and for what you know you shouldn't do but are doing anyway.

IMPATIENCE: Things are not happening fast enough or theres are not doing what they should or what you want them to do.

ARGUMENTATIVENESS: Arguing small and ridiculous points of view indicates a need to always be right. You could be looking for an excuse to drink.

FRUSTRATION: At people and also because things may not be going your way. Remember-everything is not going to be just the way you want it.

DEPRESSION: Unreasonable and unaccountable despair may occur in cycles and should be dealt with and talked about.

SELF-PITY: "Why do thes things happen to me?"

COCKINESS: Got it made, no longer fear alcoholism/addiction. Going into drinking situations to prove to others you have no problem. Do this often enough, and it will wear down your defense.

COMPLACENCY: "Drinking was the farthest thing from my mind." Not drinking was also no longer a consious thought. It is dangerous to let up on discipline because everything is going well. A little fear is a good thing. More relapses occur when things are going well than when things are going badley.

EXPECTING TOO MUCH FROM OTHERS: "I've changed, why hasn't everyone else?" It's a plus if they do, but it is still your problem if they don't. they may not yet trust you and may be looking for further proof. You cannot expect others to change just because you did.

LETTING UP ON DISCIPLINES: I.e., prayer meditation, daily inventory, AA meetings. This can stem from complacency or boredom. You cannot affort to be bored with your program. The cost of relapse is too great.

USE OF MOOD ALTERING CHEMICALS: You may feel the need to ease things with a pill, and your doctor may go along with you. You may never have had problems with chemicals other than alcohol or vice versa, but you can easily lose sobriety starting this way-about the subtlest way to have a relapse.

WANTING TOO MUCH: Do not set goals you cannot reach with normal effort. Do not expect too much. You will get what you are entitled to as long as you do your best, it just may not be as soon as you were expecting. "happiness is not haveing what you want , but wanting what you have."

FORGETTING GRATITUDE: You may be looking negatively on your life, concentrating on problems. Do not forget where you came from and where you are.

"IT CAN"T HAPPEN TOO ME": This is extremely dangerous thinking. Almost anything can happen to you and is more likely to , if you get careless. You have a progressive disease, and it will be worse if you relapse.

OMNIPOTENCE: This is a feeling that results from a combination of many of the above. You now have all the answers for yourself ant others. Noone can tell you anything. You ignore suggestions or advice from others. Relapse is probably imminent unless drastic change takes place.

Hope this helps all who need it.
Mike
Old 05-24-2005, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

me

wow, I read that and relized every single one of those things applied to me...and I use all of them as an excuse to keep using
Old 05-24-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bump.............

This is really good information.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, some of that was a little hard to read!!!