Notices

The honeymoon period is over....

Old 05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

The honeymoon period is over....

Day 11
I think the honeymoon period is over with my new-found sobriety and now the real work begins. Physically I feel pretty good except for being a bit tired especially in the afternoons.

Today I'm having alot of cravings and it's not even 7AM in the islands.
Could use your thoughts and prayers today.

Pearl
Old 05-23-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
still moment by moment

Pearl - that is exactly how I felt. The real work is those cravings that come when you think you are in control and you think you've got this thing licked....

I am amazed at how hard this has been and how hard it continues to be. But I am sure that I want it now. Just remember that all those people that have a ton of sober time - well they went through this too. And they are good examples that remind us that it is possible and it gets better and better.

Good luck today!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
living clean and free

Congrats Pearl on 11 days. The sobriety honeymoon is never over, it really gets better as all the toxins are leaving your body. Heck it takes your brain a while to adjust to the new you. A bad day is just a bad day. Stay sober and dont make it a really bad day. Keep up the good work, you are WORTH it...
Choose sobriety, Choose life.
Mike
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pearl, I know you can get thru this. The cravings do pass when
we don't give in to them. Hang tough and keep walking straight ahead.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Alcohol is so devious and tricky...That little nagging voice says,

Just one today, but of course that will never be my reality. I'm enjoying my sobiety, and the rewards I have reaped, but I feel so betrayed (the best analogy I can come up with) and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. I'm not sure why I thought it would come easy.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Oops...

Hang on there, have to take my head off and put it on straight...

aahhh, that's better...Lol
Old 05-23-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

((((((((((Pearl))))))))))) In a sense you have been betrayed--by alcohol. And it will only betray you again and again if you let it. Early sobriety in particular is one helluva rollercoaster ride. You will have up days and down. The best thing you can do is what you have already done--tell on yourself when you have doubts. We are only as sick as our secrets. Just by coming on here and talking about your cravings you take away some of their power. As far as the tiredness goes--give in to it, if you can. Be kind to yourself--let yourself take naps, eat good food, drink lots of healthy fluids--you deserve it. Your body is still recovering from having all that poison in it.

Great job on the 11 twenty-four hours. Here's to another 24!!!

Hugs--
Old 05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Thanks all,

I remember reading the posts for the last few days and feeling nothing but compassion for those folks who were having tremendous cravings and had their work to do, but hey I AM one of those folks. I suppose in a way this is the dawning of realization of what I am (an alcoholic) and where I'm going (on to a new, beautiful sober life). I need to remind myself daily of what has to be done, again thankyou.

Pearl
Old 05-23-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Congrats your 11 days pearl...I remember reading somewhere not too long ago that a physical craving only lasts about seven minutes and I have asked some substance abuse counselors about this info and they have verified it. SO...if a physical craving only lasts seven minutes, the rest of the time it is a mental craving. For me, I have to find something else to think about, do, etc...to get past the mental craving. I usually say "Thy will be done, not mine" and go from there...
Old 05-23-2005, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Hi Pearl,
I have 11 days too. As this is not the first time I have stopped, I know that craving for me start to get really bad around now, and then around 30 days.

I know you can get thru this!! Like others have said, the cravings do pass. I find hope in the many who have lots of sober days and they don't seem to be constantly assaulted by the cravings like the newly sober.

One day at a time we can get thru this!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know you're talking about alcohol, but I'm getting off pills and I'll tell you, it sucks and doesn't feel like any kind of a honeymoon I'd ever care to go on.

I feel like something has taken my entire chest cavity and emptied it of all things. It’s a cavern, and there’s only one thing that can fill it. And that’s just not really cool at all. But then, why be sober? Why be straight? These are the things I'm trying to figure out.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

O yes...De tox was only a start! I remember being shocked that I was expected to actually
work to stay in recovery!

However the work is the most rewarding task I have ever done.

Hugs and Prayers Pearl
Old 05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Pearl

My name is Calvin. I know you don't know one thing about me but there is a girl on here that calls herself CarrieG who spent alot of time the other night making sure I knew you were better than sliced white bread. I want to let you know what you are feeling right now is just a blip on the screen and if you get past this time without drinking it will make you stronger ( I have been clean since 1989). Right now write down every terrible experience you had when you was drinking. Every sorry thing you can think of that made you feel ashamed , embarressed and low. Write everything you lost and the look on every face of everybody you hurt . Get back on here for about an hour or so then go back and read it . Then read it again before you go to sleep so your mind absorbs it before you lay down. Take the word of a crazy old man just this once o.k.?
Calvin
Old 05-23-2005, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We are all in this together.