Codependency kills.

Old 05-22-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codependency kills.

Codependency kills.

No really. I knew that addicts can easily kill somebody else while driving under the influence, and they eventually kill themselves from the side effects of whatever chemical they're addicted to. What I've recently learned in the program of Al-Anon is the my codependency is just as dangerous as a chemical addiction.

What I did was I neglected my own health. Skipped doctor and dentist visits, didn't get checkups. All in the name of getting my pill-head wife to change. My life style became ever more stresful as I tried to keep our faltering business afloat, look after her needs and get myself back to school to find a new career. Can you spell "stress"?

Last October I had a heart attack as well as a minor stroke. Had I been taking care of my health properly the docs would have been able to see it coming. I could at least have postponed it a couple decades, if not prevent it altogether. Since October my health has improved enough for me to take a very low stress job, and my emotions have improved as a result of Al-Anon.

I've been going to lots of doctors, finally doing what I should have done years ago. They found a small hole in my heart, technically called a "Atrial Septal Defect". A fairly common condition they _could_ have diagnosed years ago, if I'da shown up.

I also have a fairly defective pancreas, which causes a condition called "hypoglycemia". It's gotten much worse with stress. The heart and the pancreas are messing with each other, and things are going bad in a hurry.

The good news is I'm being scheduled for surgery. They're going to fly me out to some fancy-pants clinic and do open heart surger as well as some kind of partial transplant of my pancreas. Tomorrow I get to spend all day with my docs working out the details and trying to get the insurance company to cough up some cash. I'll be outta town for a couple weeks, soon as I get a date, and then flat on my back in bed for at least 3 months.

I'll let you guys know before I go, and I'll get back online as soon as I'm well enough.

For those of you who haven't been taking care of your own health, my story will eventually become your story. I'm praying for you, and that the program works it's miracles in your life the way it has in mine.

I hope the nurses are cute, I need to learn how to date again.

Mike :-)
Old 05-22-2005, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh Mike, my prayers go with you!!

Your sense of humour is amazing as is your courage. Please keep us posted and let us know how it all goes. I hope when all this is done you end up feeling so very much better.

And I'll pray for some cute nurses too, Mike. It's nice when we codies can get someone to look after US for a change.

We will all be going with you in spirit Mike.

Hugs
Ann
Old 05-22-2005, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hey Mikey,

Have missed seeing your posts and I'm sad to hear you've got to have this fancy-pants surgery. Darn... My prayers are with you. Keep us up on your progress.

Blessings
Old 05-22-2005, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Mike, how kind of you to remind everyone of this important lesson!

Will pray for a remarkable recovery and for the cutest nurses EVER!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'll be praying for you, my special friend. Wishing you a healthy heart, a healthy pancreas, some cute nurses to tend to your every need, and many bright, happy, and healthy days ahead. And oh yes, a surgeon who has experience in treating broccoli heads--sorry, couldn't resist.

Miss Scarlett
Old 05-23-2005, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

mike - i will also be praying for a complete success with your surgeries.

i wish i could clone my stepdaughter to send over to the "fancy pants" clinic - she just graduated with her 4 yr. nursing degree and she is, if i must say so myself, a real cutie!!!!

we'll miss you input on the boards!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Mike, I'll put a good word in for a cute little redhead nurse (they're the best kind, donchaknow ) who can keep you in touch with us.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow thank you for the reminder....

You take care, get well and hurry back to us..... and be gentle on those cute nurses! (Im still laughing at that one)
Old 05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Mike)))
Once more, excellent advice. I'm with ya on the stress factor.
I pray for your total recovery - of body and spirit.
Thanks for all you do.
Shalom!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Mike)))

Hope eveything goes really well and that you're back sharing your wisdom in no time at all.

Don't be looking at those nurses too much - you have to look after your heart now!

Let us know how you get on.

Thinking of you.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish you the best on your road to self focus. I have described the same story to friends though fortunately I dont think my health got too bad yet. I did notice an unusual amount of stress hit me and caused some physical stress induced problems but as I broke off all contact with my ex, a sense of peace has covered me and this stress slowly but productively started to disappear, and my focusing on self has really made me feel so healthy, my body, mind and soul has been thanking me so much.

I've arranged dental and health appointments, I workout everynight, I do what I want to do and I stopped denying myself for so long...

I hope you get well and so long as you have the will and determination to continue forward and fight hard, you will succeed in whatever you put your mind to! Afterall, all these stress symptoms are in the mind, the mind is a powerful thing!

Best wishes to you always...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
Codependency kills.
Amen...

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
They're going to fly me out to some fancy-pants clinic
That's encouraging. At most hospitals, they don't even let you wear pants, just those backless gowny-things with yer a$$ all hanging out for the world to see...

Wishing you a speedy recovery and some cute nurses,
NCP
Old 05-23-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oh yes, and wish you many cute nurses ... !!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((( Mike!!!! )))
Old 05-23-2005, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
believer

(((((Mike)))))

Take care and get well soon!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

Mike, thanks for the update and wishing you a very speedy recovery. Take care!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I'll be praying for you Mike!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Mike,

Gosh darn dang it!

You are in my thoughts and prayers and hope we hear from you soon.

Hugs,