Good article on dry drunk

Old 05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good article on dry drunk

Found this a while ago, figured it maybe help for someone out there, I have two other really good links if interested...

http://www.minnesotarecovery.info/li...e/drydrunk.htm
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

codemaster thank you, reading that article was like I was reading a description of my ex. I always thought he was dry but reading this I am sure he is. to bad he doesn't see it himself or want to see it.

Jewel
Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here are a few other really good ones I found from good sources:

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/info/a/aa081397.htm
http://webhealthcentre.com/general/da_dry.asp

Hope some people find it helpful, it was the very little info I could find for understanding people post sobriety. I guess its too easy for researches to believe once they found the answer to get people to stop drinking, they won achieved their goals and stop there, but really, after you stop drinking is when an even harder challenge in life for both the A and those around really start to begin...

Oh and it was amazing for me to find these articles because I literally wrote down what these articles documented BEFORE I even read it, it just confirmed I wasnt crazy or seeing things... dry drunk effect was really in full force and its a real surreal thing to experience since usually when you go into the hospital, your suppose to come out healthier, happier. But really what I've had to realized is you come out post getting hit by the truck but at least you stopped getitng hit by the truck, now you just have to try to start healing and the hospital just taught you how to stop getting hit by a truck is all...
Old 05-19-2005, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Hey
I've been finding it very difficult to find material on this subject.
Living with a non-drinking alcoholic can be so wierd that you start to doubt your sanity. The fact that there isn't a mountain of related literature has sometimes reinforced the idea that I'm making a fuss over nothing.

Thanks a lot for this, it's good to have my worries and experiences validated.

The thing about dry drunks is that there can't even be the hope that maybe things will get better if they stop drinking - and that can make you feel even worse.

It found a really good page yesterday, it was about signs of relapse. I don't see much difference between sliding to a relapse and the bizarre, logic-free world of the dry drunk.

http://www.clinicalsolutions.org/Sym...f_Relapse.html

I went through them and I think mine got 26 out of 33.
I know these things don't really make a difference but it does to me. It helps me form my thoughts.

If you come across any other literature, I would be more than grateful if you could pass it on.

Many thanks
Jane
xxxxxxxxxx
Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
There is so little written about the dry-drunk syndrome.
And yes, I believe that most people believe that once the alcoholic stops drinking, all the problems are gone. So, so, not true. And the really sad thing is the alcoholic believes that too. My ex-ABF has not had a drink in over 5 years. He attends meetings on a very regular basis. He believes he is working his program. But I think there is something missing Something hasn't clicked for him. We are not together anymore and this really isn't my problem, but it's hard to let go of it. To stop caring about this person and what happens to him. I don't want this information for him, I want it for me. I want to try and understand what the heck happened.
In a book I have at home, there are a few books listed on the dry-drunk syndrome. I need to check and see if they are still in print. I will print the names of them here.
Again, thank you for bringing up a subject that nobody seems to talk about. In the Al-Anon meetings I attend, it seems that either the A in their lives is either drinking, the A isn't drinking and everything is going well, or they got rid of the A and don't know how things are going.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You guys are all very welcomed! I'm really happy it helped even one person! It really really helped me personally, because man I literally thought I must be going crazy because I thought she was suppose to be perfect now so maybe she is perfect and maybe I'm the one who is going nutz... but after reading it, it confirmed my feelings that she is doing wrong and it REALLY helped me with sanity.

I'm not perfect myself, but I know I was really trying to work out any issues but she was only interested in being blindly self centered and that was that...

If you guys ever find more info whether from web or link or counselors, please post it! I am always interested in learning....

bahookie, thanks for posting that link... good stuff...
Old 05-19-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Hmmm... A Google search for "dry drunk syndrome" brings links to several pages about... George W. Bush.

I'm not judgin', I'm just sayin'. I certainly have no opinions on outside issues, political or otherwise.

Anyhoo, I think I've seen a pamplet from Hazalden entitled Dry Drunk Syndrome.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Binge poster

CAdrmn: "... bringing up a subject that nobody seems to talk about. In the Al-Anon meetings I attend, it seems that either the A in their lives is either drinking, the A isn't drinking and everything is going well, or they got rid of the A and don't know how things are going."

Oh such a relief to hear another human being say this. i still don't feel as if I fit in at meetings. I'm not dealing with some of the truly awful things I hear there, but I am dealing with irrational behaviour, upredictablility, horrendous moods, judgementalism, lying, escapism .. the list could go on and on. My point is that all these things, even if present in the original personality, are maginified by this disease.

Codemaster: "I'm not perfect myself, but I know I was really trying to work out any issues but she was only interested in being blindly self centered and that was that..."

My partner's idea of working on our relationship is when she's decided to be nice to me.
God, it would make you laugh.

Anyway, to end on a happier note, yes, I moan about the way she is, behaves, avoids, etc. but you know what? I'm not perfect either, and dealing with this disease has turned me into a mad woman sometimes.
I'm hanging around in the hopes that Alanon can help me pull myself out of it and maybe keep me from falling in too often in future.

We're going to learn more, deal with things better, keep our sanity and we're going to be ok. Even if the As in our lives don't.

I know it.

I will keep looking for literature sifted from a sea of presidential pap.

Happy Friday
Jane
xxx