Any advice?

Old 05-15-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advice?

HI, I am hoping that someone out there can just give me some information and maybe some advice. First some info about me, I am 35 yoa, while I do socially drink, I am not an alcoholic and I am very responsible,as I have seen first hand the disaster that alcohol and drugs can cause. I hope I am not hypocritical for drinkning myself, while urging my mom to be clean.....(Also I do not use any drugs...ever)
My mom is a severe addict and alcoholic, and has been for years. I am pretty sure most of the drug addiction is Pain pills, but not certian. Anyways, I am proud of here because for the past three weeks, she has not taken any. I am pretty sure she was up to 8 vicadin a day, and has stopped cold turkey. Still drinking, though not nearly as much. I dont know if I should urge her to quit drinking or let her fight one battle at a time. She becomes very defensive when I come on too strong, and pushes me away.
While I am very proud of here for being strong, this is my problem, she is having such a hard time, she is so depressed and crying all the time, very overly emotional, and paranoid. I know it is the withdrawl, but how long will this last? She does not want to get out of bed, and when she does, is so tired and irratiable. She feels horrible, and I am trying to be supportive for her, but I dont know what to tell her, I keep telling her the worst is over and it will get easier, but it is not getting easier, and she still feels horrible. What can I tell her to get her through this. She would never go for treatment, cause she is so embarrassed of people knowing her business. It causes some problems in our family, and I am always in the middle trying to mediate the situation, but I am not worrying about myself, just trying to figure out how long she will hurt and what I can do to be supportive and help her.. I want very badly for her to get better. Any advice is very much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

Originally Posted by solid
HI, I am hoping that someone out there can just give me some information and maybe some advice. First some info about me, I am 35 yoa, while I do socially drink, I am not an alcoholic and I am very responsible,as I have seen first hand the disaster that alcohol and drugs can cause. I hope I am not hypocritical for drinkning myself, while urging my mom to be clean.....(Also I do not use any drugs...ever)
My mom is a severe addict and alcoholic, and has been for years. I am pretty sure most of the drug addiction is Pain pills, but not certian. Anyways, I am proud of here because for the past three weeks, she has not taken any. I am pretty sure she was up to 8 vicadin a day, and has stopped cold turkey. Still drinking, though not nearly as much. I dont know if I should urge her to quit drinking or let her fight one battle at a time. She becomes very defensive when I come on too strong, and pushes me away.
While I am very proud of here for being strong, this is my problem, she is having such a hard time, she is so depressed and crying all the time, very overly emotional, and paranoid. I know it is the withdrawl, but how long will this last? She does not want to get out of bed, and when she does, is so tired and irratiable. She feels horrible, and I am trying to be supportive for her, but I dont know what to tell her, I keep telling her the worst is over and it will get easier, but it is not getting easier, and she still feels horrible. What can I tell her to get her through this. She would never go for treatment, cause she is so embarrassed of people knowing her business. It causes some problems in our family, and I am always in the middle trying to mediate the situation, but I am not worrying about myself, just trying to figure out how long she will hurt and what I can do to be supportive and help her.. I want very badly for her to get better. Any advice is very much appreciated.
I will pray for you and your mother.
She needs to get to a doctor. The vicodin (my addicts drug of choice) withdrawl wont kill her, she will just wish she was dead. It is terrible. She should be through the worst of it. The alcohol is a different story. I have been told that withdrawl from alcohol can be very dangerous even deadly. I have also been told that you cant just address the addiction. There are always other issues that need to be addressed. There are certainly other issues that your mother needs to deal with. She needs to get help to uncover these other issues so that she can abstain from using drugs and alcohol.
You should find an al-anon meeting. they are for the family of addicts. This site has meetings just about everynite. There is a schedule on the newcomers board. Check one out and see what you think. It does work. There are lots of people here who will help and support you.
Ask some questions about the program.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-15-2005, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is what she is telling me that she feels as if she has nothing to live for, and I am able to direct her thoughts elsewhere. Obviously I am not able to be there all the time, or even close to it, we live nearly 45 minutes apart, yet I am her support system in its entireity.

I also thought that the worst would be over, like I said it has been three weeks, but still today, she says she feels horrible, and could hardly speak without crying, and was going to bed. I urged her to go to bed, thought her body was telling her that she needed rest, is this right, or should I push her to be active...I just dont know.
I have tried 1000 times throughout my life to get her to go to a Dr. for this, she flat out refuses, and I do not have the strenght to force her.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Welcome to SR, solid. Sorry to hear about your struggle...

My best suggestion is always Al-Anon, as that is where I learned everything I know about how to deal with the diseases of alcoholism and addiction.

Withdrawal can be a tricky thing, and the physical consequences of not having medical supervision can sometimes be quite serious. I hope your mom's position on this softens.

In the meantime, keep coming back to SR and, if you'd like, give Al-Anon a try. In both places, you may find helpful information about how to take care of yourself through all this and further down the road.

I wish you peace...