Notices

28 days

Old 05-15-2005, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

28 days

28 days.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I woke up this morning feeling good – a characteristic of each morning of the last 28 days. No hangover, no blackout, no guilt, no remorse, no struggling to re-cap the night before.<o:p></o:p>

What a tough but glorious last four weeks. I can tell you one thing though – it sure does feel good to be sober. I keep reminding myself of this when I start to get cravings, and it does help. I feel like I’m regaining independence inside my head by not being a slave to the ever-so-cunning drink.<o:p></o:p>

I did come close to having a drink, but thankfully I called my best friend/significant other, who does not drink, and got some reinvigorating advice. That really helped and I did not drink. It’s really helpful to have support like that.<o:p></o:p>

So I guess I’m feeling like people should – not hungover all the time. It’s nice to have a clearer head and not feel all sluggish all the time. People aren’t meant to be drunk every night. The body and mind are not supposed to have a constant supply of alcohol running through it. It tells us that when we’re hungover by making us feel like crap.<o:p></o:p>

The main challenge with me though in my mind is that alcoholic jealousy that comes about when I see other so-called “normal” people drink. I always think “why can’t I drink like them?” I’ve tried, many times, but with no avail. That’s what got me to this point! What crazy thinking! I know I can’t drink like them, so why even try? That’s the thinking I’m starting to have.<o:p></o:p>

Also, the other main challenge is trying to get over the importance I always gave alcohol in my life. Logically speaking and putting aside all the characteristics of alcoholism, if one really breaks it down, why do we center our lives around a poisonous liquid? What happened to our instincts? You don’t see animals laboring over brewing/distilling a certain beverage that wreaks havoc. If an animal knows that something is bad for them, then they usually avoid it after the first taste. Generally speaking, it makes no logical sense to drink. It’s logically insane to build lavish buildings (i.e., a fancy bar) with the sole purpose of serving a poisonous liquid. It makes no sense that big parties are centered around a poisonous drink. I could go on and on about the logistics of things, but bottom line, alcoholism is not logical.<o:p></o:p>

But I have been reminding myself of these logistics every time I get a craving for a drink. I think “what is it really going to do for me?” The logical answer is “it will wreak havoc and cause destruction”. The alcoholic answer is “it will make me feel warm and good”. The alcoholic answer leaves out one thing though: “It will make me SEEM to feel warm and good UNTIL…I black out and wake up hungover again.” I’m beginning to think logically about this now and I’m forcing myself to remind myself of these simple things:<o:p></o:p>

Drinking is horribly bad for me, my mind, and my body.<o:p></o:p>

Drinking will do me no good.<o:p></o:p>

Drinking is not glamorous, no matter how much alcohol producers and other drinkers play it up to be.<o:p></o:p>

My choice to drink and my resulting actions will only hurt others around me.<o:p></o:p>

I don’t need to drink to be happy.<o:p></o:p>

And last but not least, there are so many other more constructive and fun things to do other than drink.<o:p></o:p>

These things are much easier said than done, but reminding myself of these things has been helping and will continue to help me achieve another 28 days. I just need to keep things simple. I am beginning to enjoy simplicity and am confident that I will not let myself slip, but I cannot get over-confident and rest on my laurels. I just need to keep working on myself.<o:p></o:p>

I will succeed.<o:p></o:p>

Thank you for letting me share.<o:p></o:p>
Old 05-15-2005, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 28 days!! I love your post. Reading your post really hits the nail right on the head with many good points.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

Thanks for sharing your insights and lessons learned in your first 28 days. I think that alot of people in recovery can learn alot from you.
Thanks, good job and God Bless
Jeff
Old 05-15-2005, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome.
And thank you.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Congradulations on your 28 days.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stark Raving Sober

Sounds like you're fairly intelligent. A good mind is a terrible thing to waste. I hope you keep putting those back-to-back 24 hrs of sobriety together. It's exciting to see what people become when they stay sober.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hoping For A Miracle

Congratulations!!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

congrats on your 28 days!! keep up the great work!!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 28 days and your host of inisights!! They were a welcome reminder to me this am.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Way to go on 28 days and your post was great
Old 05-16-2005, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you and I wish I was there too, it does feel so good not to drink. No more shame and feeling weak and tired. Best wishes to you.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your warm comments. It's great to see such a great place where everyone helps each other.

Today's day # 29. Normally on Mondays I would be lazy, totally hungover, and sluggish. Instead I have a very constructive day planned. I've noticed I sure do get a lot more things done when I do not drink.

Also, congratulations to everyone of you who has stayed sober today. A sober day is a successful day...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

A sober day is a successful day...
Amen to that! Keep on keepin' on!!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ama

Wonderful news - your 28 days!!!!! Thank you for this thread.....
Old 05-16-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats and a great post!

Kathy