Notices

New guidance

Old 05-14-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guidance

Hi, I'm new here. I have 2 sons who are both drug addicts. Heroin, crack are their drugs of choice. One is currently in prison for a crime he committed while on dope. The other spent six months in county jail for resisting arrest, fleeing the police, misdemeanors. He's been out since December and the first 3 weeks stayed completely away from drugs. Now he's back on. I have custody of his 4 year old daughter because his girlfriend (mother of his child) is also an addict and is on house arrest. I do not see a light at the end of this tunnel. I know that nothing I do or say will make him stop. Even the love for his daughter won't make him stop. He's been living with us since December. We wanted to give him a fresh start and help him get back on his feet. He has a house but cannot make the payments so we've been doing that for him. Oh btw my name is on the loan of that house too so I don't want my credit ruined. He starts a new job on Monday but being on drugs I don't expect it will last long. Any advice on how me and my husband should handle this situation. It's really wearing us down. Thanks so much.

T
Old 05-14-2005, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

((((T)))),
Welcome to SR! You probably ought to check out the Nar-Anon forum here.
Also, here is a link your son could use if he is willing to try Narcotics Anonymous meetings: South Shore Area NA

Wish you and your family all the best!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-15-2005, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi and God bless you and your husband for caring this much. I got myself homeless pulling that crap. If truly desperate call 911 and commit him/them as suicidal. They'll give him meds to prevent seizures(common while detoxing) and the counseling he/they will need.Don't forget yourselves. A junkie will steal, rob, cheat, hurt and hit if desperate enuf. To do either one of your sons any good you need to be spiritually fit and strong. Pray. Go to nar-anon. Learn the tools you need to deal with this. Giving him/them a fresh start is great but sooner rather than later personal responsibility has to come in to play. Take care of yourselves and teach/show them how to be responsible thru counseling, meetings and the tools they will get from those things. AA and NA are simple programs but very, very hard. You're all in my prayers.
God bless
Old 05-15-2005, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My son is also an addict and I know the pain of watching someone you love destroying themselves.

There are a lot of moms like us on the Nar-Anon forum here, who would be happy to meet you and share their experience, strength and hope with you. We may not be able to do much to help our addict children, but we have learned that we can help ourselves and live healthy lives again regardless of how they are doing. We'd love to have you join us on our journey.

Hugs
Ann
Old 05-15-2005, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Indiana Nar-Anon meetings

Indiana Al-Anon meetings

T,
Here are some links that may be useful for YOU!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-15-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi T and welcome!
Please visit our Friends and Family forum as well as our Naranon forum. You will get a lot of support and gain strength from the experiences you find here.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your replies and words of encouragement. I will definitely check out the Naranon forum and the friends and family forum. I never know what the day will bring when I wake up in the morning. I pray every night and every morning that God will give him the strength to resist using, to wipe away all cravings. I've prayed this prayer for years but I guess God will answer when he's ready

Many thanks again.
T
Old 05-18-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

T,
You're very welcome! Do keep us posted, OK? Oh, and I take naltrexone for my opiate & alcohol cravings and it seems to help. Just another thought. Wish you all well!
Love and hugs,
Eddie