Notices

Help me please

Old 05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me please

Hi all! I am desperately trying to helpa friend into recovery, I have been trying for about 4 years now. We were in a relatinship for a while, and still i do love him, however I have had to move on with my life in hopes he will get some help.

We are dealing with Alcohol addiction (over 7 years) and some drug addiction. That is where i need some help, he refuses to admit the drug habit. However I can tell he acts different then when just drinking/drunk. The drug makes his speech slurred, balance off, and leaves a chemical smell on his breath. It kinda smells as though he maybe had an oxygen mask on or something (does that make sense?). Anyway, if any of you can advise me ona drug that maybe causing these symptoms I would greatly appreciate it.

Also any advice on getting him to go to rehab. I ahve tried so much and he has lost so much, I am not sure what else to do.

Thank you
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering from 10 yrs of Weed

He has to choose to quit...whatever he is doing....It really doesn't matter what it is. All of them are bad.

All you can do is tell him you know he has a problem and you love him and wish he would get help. Maybe an intervention with some of his other family members. But really he has to make the descision to quit. You can't quit for him. He can't even admit what he is doing...so he is prolly in denial.

But if it is causing you to have problems in your life and you are at the end of your rope...then you might have to leave him be for awhile. Sometimes when people leave...it makes a wake up call for the addict...and they are more willing to get clean. Just tell him you can't be around him...but if he ever decides to get sober...you will be there for him...to help him through it.

I'm not a therapist...but I have had family members including myself who are addicts...and that's why I am saying all this to you. I have been the helpless one trying to help an addict and I have been the addict.

Take care of yourself !!!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Walk into the rooms of Al-anon. http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

That is the ONLY way you can learn to help an alcoholic or addict.

You simply have no power to get him sober.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Addiction

ADDICTIONaddiction
Originally Posted by friend2bled
Hi all! I am desperately trying to helpa friend into recovery, I have been trying for about 4 years now. We were in a relatinship for a while, and still i do love him, however I have had to move on with my life in hopes he will get some help.

We are dealing with Alcohol addiction (over 7 years) and some drug addiction. That is where i need some help, he refuses to admit the drug habit. However I can tell he acts different then when just drinking/drunk. The drug makes his speech slurred, balance off, and leaves a chemical smell on his breath. It kinda smells as though he maybe had an oxygen mask on or something (does that make sense?). Anyway, if any of you can advise me ona drug that maybe causing these symptoms I would greatly appreciate it.

Also any advice on getting him to go to rehab. I ahve tried so much and he has lost so much, I am not sure what else to do.

It sure sounds like pain killers, Possibly Oxycotin, OR any of the opiates, Percocet, Vicodin, Lortab, Lorcet etc Dilaudid , morphine they are all just as bad, I am a addict, My recent drugs of choice prior to my detox was alll in the opiate family, the #1 symptom is nodding, itching, and being very irritable, it was the hardest addiction I ever experienced, NA HAS HELPED ME 100%, but he will have to want help or it will never work, I,m 40 yrs old and have been experimenting with drugs and alcohol since i was 7 yrs old, it was a way of life, the hardest part in changing is learning to except reality sober, I honestly feel 100% better than i ever have, I have only been in sobriety for 2 months, Finding a support group such as NA was what saved my life, my addiction was one that I could not kick on my own, and i did,nt have the support i needed so i looked to God and attended as many meeting i could, both AA AND NA, mY 20 YR OLD DAUGHTER AND 16 YR OLD WERE AND STILL ARE A BIG PART OF MY RECOVERY, mY HUSBAND IS AND WILL BE ON PAIN MEDS FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE, HE LOST HIS RIGHT LEG TO A MOTOCYCLE AND HAS SEVERE degenerative disk disease and has been on Oxycontin and Dilaudid for 5 yrs now, after my detox he dropped his prescription of Oxycotin for Dilaudid so the temptation would be gone when i arrived home from detox, I still have to live everyday with the fact that he has meds under the same roof as I ,but he is supportive and hides the meds from me so I dont relapse, I learned a big lesson from all this, If you want it bad enough you can do anything, My god is my strength, and i have now realized and accepted the fact that he needs the pills, and I dont, If taken properly as prescribed he will be fine, after 9 back and neck surgeries they (the DRS) are contemplating a pain pump being inserted in his body, Eventually he will be slowly weaned off the drugs himself, since after all this time he is also dependent on the pain meds and really would like to come off, the Drs are going to try to detox him slowly if they can, 2days ago he went in for his 6th back surgery, 3rd neck and there is a good possiblity they may not need to put in the pain pumps since that would be determentle to any hope of recovery on his part and he too would like to be living a clean and sober life
Sorry to go on and on , but no matter how you look at it, becoming a recoverying addict is a choice u need to make for u and no one else, some people have no choice to take meds and take them as prescribed, I became a full intavenous Opiate addict, stemming from many yrs of drug abuse, So hang in there Darlin, nothing is easy, it s hard, the hardest thing i have ever done, Just remember alot of it is PSYCOLOGICAL ADDICTION, work it, do 90 meetings in 90 days and work the rooms and if u really want it , God will lead the way. GOD BLESS, AND REMEMBER ONE DAY AT A TIME.
RECOVERYING ADDICT IN FLORIDA, OPIATE_ADDICTSU
Thank you
Old 06-10-2005, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Real Quick answer!!

Originally Posted by friend2bled

I did,nt think about it in my other post to u, but if he has a funny taste on his breath he might be smoking Meth or crack, either way he,ll need to want to quit, Good luck, Darlin Any of the drugs mentions will definitely change his personality, I have been a addict all my life till recently and its a constant battle, but its something I want more than anything in the world, If u can, there is a possibility of having him baker acted into a rehab, he may hate u for it at first, but in the end u might just save his life.
Thank you
Good luck!!!