Today he's been drinking.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Michelle

Unhappy Today he's been drinking.

My 26 year old son admitted to me a while back that he has been doing weed and cocaine along with his drinking which I already knew about. Things had been pretty quite since then until today. I can tell he has been drinking because his eyebrows go funny and his mannerisms are different. I have been coming to this web site since then to try and learn how to cope. I thought I was doing OK but today I realize that I have a long way to go. My anxiety level goes sky high when he is like this. He admitted that he needs to change his life but I guess he is not ready to do anything yet. In the meantime, I just feel rotten. I went to a couple of alanon meetings but all they did was read from a book. I didn't get much out of it. I keep saying I will go to another alanon mtg on a different night but so far I haven't been able to get there. So far I have gotten more out of just reading threads from this web site but I still feel so frustrated and sad.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how hard it is to just sit back and watch. I also know how rotten that makes you feel... but you said the right thing that is a start.... HE is not ready to do anything about it.

Al-non is not my favorite either... but Im going to try it anyway, just because I either have to get healthy or I will drive myself insane (wait... that is what I was doing) ok... more insane. *grins* SR is wonderful, and I need to be here too, but I have been told there is nothing like face to face contact.... people who are going through what we have or are still going through... maybe give it another try?

*hugs* wish we all had a magic wand to me it better... but for some reason we have to go through it.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Dear Mitch,

Don't give up on the alanon meetings. Find others. Please. You need the support you can get from them. but you also can come here and we'll always be available for you.

Blessings
Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Michelle

Thanks so much. I am going to need this site.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My anxiety level goes sky high when he is like this.
I know this feeling well, more than anything I wanted to feel more grounded in my emotional response to my hubby drinking. I know Al-Anon has helped lots of folk but counselling helped me do this.

One thing I would say with certainty is that it's good to get help. This IS hard and it's best to gain every advantage you can.