Notices

I need help

Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mandysmeaow

I need help

hi, im new to this forum, Im a stay at home mother, who is addicted to hydrocodone, Ive been abusing for 5 years. Ive attempted to quit, but I get so deathly ill. What do I do? I also suffer from chronic lower back pain. I thought about going to a methadone clinic. I need help. What to I do? If I tell my pain management Dr, what will he do?

Its so expensive, I cant function without them, I have 2 little girls who depend on me. If I dont take them, I cant function. What do I do? Someone please help.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

HI Mandy.. We cannot "tell" you what to do but here is one very stong suggestion: Please talk to your Doctor.. Honesty is the beginning to getting help..

None of us has an easy time when we quit our drug of choice and many need medical guidance..

Linda C.

"Nothing changes if nothing changes"
Old 05-10-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mandy, glad you are here at SR!

Talk to your doctor. Once you get past the initial withdrawals of the hydrocodone, it will get easier.

Many doors will open for you.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Hello Mandy, I also was addicted to hydrocodone, I also suffer from lower back pain.
I also use to think that I could not function with out them.

I don't think methadone is your answer either.

Tell your Dr. & family the truth.

I can promise you this, it will only get worst the longer you are prisoner of this drug.

This is what I did to find myself again, I went to a detox center and then re-hab. Came home from re-hab, found this wonderful site and started attending meetings.

There are many ways to win this fight, the above is what worked for me. You have to pick up your armor and fight for your life.

Mandy the most important thing is to do it for YOU.

Mandy I wish you the best. If you need to talk I am here for you.
My thoughts & prayers are with you.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

Mandy, My wife is addicted to hydrocodone. You are among friends. Everyone is right. Go to meetings. They really do help. There are some online as well as F2F (face to face). You need the support. You also need the support of your family. You will need it. Youl will also need the support of your doctor. He will help you with the withdrawl symptoms. They can be severe but the meds help ALOT. My wife tried several times to stop without treatment and was not successful. She tried very hard but the addiction was too strong. She is going to come home tonight. YEA!!! She will be in outpatient treatment.
You need to be whole for your babies. It wont be easy but you will be able to be the best mommy to them when you are clean. My wife also started due to back pain. Your doc will find an alternative therapy.
Check out the meetings. Check out the posts and ask alot of questions.
Thanks and God Bless
Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jcw1964
Mandy, My wife is addicted to hydrocodone. You are among friends. Everyone is right. Go to meetings. They really do help. There are some online as well as F2F (face to face). You need the support. You also need the support of your family. You will need it. Youl will also need the support of your doctor. He will help you with the withdrawl symptoms. They can be severe but the meds help ALOT. My wife tried several times to stop without treatment and was not successful. She tried very hard but the addiction was too strong. She is going to come home tonight. YEA!!! She will be in outpatient treatment.
You need to be whole for your babies. It wont be easy but you will be able to be the best mommy to them when you are clean. My wife also started due to back pain. Your doc will find an alternative therapy.
Check out the meetings. Check out the posts and ask alot of questions.
Thanks and God Bless
Jeff

Well said. Welcome to the board, im also glad you made your way to us. Keep posting and reading through other posts, you will see you are not alone.

Take care, bonnie,xxx
Old 05-10-2005, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definately see your doctor. You need his/her support (along with that of your family) to get over this hump. Detoxing needs to be supervised by a medical professional.

best of luck.

-pedagogue
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I would agree with what everyone else posted and would also strongly advise against going to a methadone clinic. If you think the hydorcodone withdrawls are bad, you should read some of the posts about methadone withdrawal over on the Substance Abuse and NA boards. It is nasty stuff and will not help with your back pain anyway. Talk to your doctor about it, if he is a pain management he will be familiar with the problem, it is not unusual for people with chronic pain to become addcited to their pain meds. Good luck and keep posting here. Take care.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

I agree with Tyler. I have heard that methadone is only for extreme situations. Your doc will find the right course of treatment. My wife has never been put on methadone. THere are many better alternatives but your doctor will know.
Thanks
Jeff

I have learned that you cant take an addiction too lightly. I just realized that recently. Keep coming and getting info.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there, my name is Becky. I am a pain medication drug addict. But oxy was my favorite. Although other pain meds worked when I couldn't get them. Anyway, I am a mother of 4. My husband and family depended on me alot. I also had a job, a very good paying full-time, shift working job. But what I want to say to you the most is--- Nothing is as important in life, nothing, than your being clean of drugs. I can tell you that, if you aren't clean, you CAN'T be the mother, wife, or emloyee, they need you to be. I was in a drug haze for over 4 years. I started when I had enodmetriosis, and a hysterectomy. It began as something that I needed to control my real pain, but turned into something I could not LIVE without. I had top go to detox. at the hospital. I know people do it at home, but I could not do that, when the pain got to be to much, which never took to long while detoxing at home, I would just start popping those pills again. It took that pain away. So I could not do it on my own. It CAN also be dangerous to do on your own. I had to give up my job, or I was going to be fired anyway, everyone knew something was wrong, because no matter how much you believe it doesn't effect you as a person, it does. I would talk slower, I slurred my words, and my eyes always looked terrible.
In the end, what matters the most is my family. My kids did not deserve a mother who was always drugged. They needed all of me, not some of me. Kids do know, even when you think they don't, they do. They are very smart. My mother was a prescription drug addict, she died at 46 from her hard life. I never wanted to follow in those foot steps, as much as I loved my mom, I was not going to follow in her footsteps. I did, and I must stop this addiction, or my children will also follow in my footsteps. They will. See why it is so important for you to stop. No matter what. Please go to your doctor, tell him, and let him help you. They can help you learn different ways to deal with your pain, and you'll also see there are many people with chronic pain, that do not take narcoticts. They just learn a new way. Get help. Don't try and do it on your own. It is the hardest thing I have ever done, but i am doing it. I have been clean of the pain killers for over a month now. I am not going back to those drugs. God Bless, I will pray for you. Love, becky
Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

Originally Posted by angelgirl
Hi there, my name is Becky. I am a pain medication drug addict. But oxy was my favorite. Although other pain meds worked when I couldn't get them. Anyway, I am a mother of 4. My husband and family depended on me alot. I also had a job, a very good paying full-time, shift working job. But what I want to say to you the most is--- Nothing is as important in life, nothing, than your being clean of drugs. I can tell you that, if you aren't clean, you CAN'T be the mother, wife, or emloyee, they need you to be. I was in a drug haze for over 4 years. I started when I had enodmetriosis, and a hysterectomy. It began as something that I needed to control my real pain, but turned into something I could not LIVE without. I had top go to detox. at the hospital. I know people do it at home, but I could not do that, when the pain got to be to much, which never took to long while detoxing at home, I would just start popping those pills again. It took that pain away. So I could not do it on my own. It CAN also be dangerous to do on your own. I had to give up my job, or I was going to be fired anyway, everyone knew something was wrong, because no matter how much you believe it doesn't effect you as a person, it does. I would talk slower, I slurred my words, and my eyes always looked terrible.
In the end, what matters the most is my family. My kids did not deserve a mother who was always drugged. They needed all of me, not some of me. Kids do know, even when you think they don't, they do. They are very smart. My mother was a prescription drug addict, she died at 46 from her hard life. I never wanted to follow in those foot steps, as much as I loved my mom, I was not going to follow in her footsteps. I did, and I must stop this addiction, or my children will also follow in my footsteps. They will. See why it is so important for you to stop. No matter what. Please go to your doctor, tell him, and let him help you. They can help you learn different ways to deal with your pain, and you'll also see there are many people with chronic pain, that do not take narcoticts. They just learn a new way. Get help. Don't try and do it on your own. It is the hardest thing I have ever done, but i am doing it. I have been clean of the pain killers for over a month now. I am not going back to those drugs. God Bless, I will pray for you. Love, becky
Angel/Mandy,
As the family member of a prescription pill addict, I can tell you that your family is more grateful for your efforts that you will ever know. We know it isnt easy for you and you know it isnt easy for us. But it is going to be so wonderful to have my wife back again. I am crying just thinking about it. I know that you have to do it for yourself, but your famliy will be so thankful to have you back.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Becky,
Welcome to the site that has given me hope when I have had none. My bf is a hydrocodone addict. We have went through detox, and he has had a relapse. I too, know the pain for the loved ones. It creates such a monster..I just want my healthy man back in my life
Go to meetings, get help, and ask for what you need here. This is a great support system.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mandy,
Welcome to SR.
You have some wonderful advice, have you seen a pattern?
Step #12 in teh 12 step tradition is to share our experience, strength and hope.(ESH)
My experience is that trying to detox alone is hard. Doing it with help is still hard, but the side effects are lessened when you have medical help.
My Strength and Hope for you is this:
You can do this. Find NA meetings, find a therapist and tell your doctor. I did and after 10 years of doing it the wrong way, I finally got it right and with medical and psych help, I have been clean and sober for 6 1/2 years!
They are the best 6 1/2 years of my adult life.
Hang on ,, Mandy and keep posting. WE care.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

By His Blood that makes sense. It made me think of my sister who became dependant on pain meds after some major dental work. she had bad withdrawal but when it was over, that was it. She is not an addict. I'm definitely an addict.
Mandy you may feel like you can't function if you don't take the pills but that feeling WILL go away. I can tell you to continue using them, you will really learn what it means to not function. Talk to you doctor and be honest. Go to NA meetings they have been such a blessing.