Notices

The Dictionary on FORGIVE

Old 05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

<TABLE cellPadding=6 width=600 bgColor=#ffffcc border=8><TBODY><TR><TD>
I find it interesting that we are quick to forgive others for their weaknesses, their acts of hatred, their lack of understanding us "addicts" ..... but we have such a difficult time forgiving OURSELVES. I live in guilt over my addictions and what my actions have caused and wonder if I can or will EVER to forgive MYSELF!
... anyone have feedback on this issue?

</TD></TR><TR><TD>for-give (fuhr giv') v. <-gave, -giv-en, -giv-ing></TD></TR><TR><TD>1. to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, sin, etc.); absolve.</TD></TR><TR><TD>2. to cancel or remit (a debt, obligation, etc.): to forgive the interest owed on a loan.</TD></TR><TR><TD>3. to grant pardon to (a person).</TD></TR><TR><TD>4. to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.</TD></TR><TR><TD>5. to pardon an offense or an offender.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 05-02-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

So true. I wish I could say that I have forgiven myself for the things I have done, but I have not. I have done so many bad things to so many people I love it keeps me up every night. Many nights I lay in bed for hours thinking about all the things I have done, but the fact is there is nothing I can do about the past. It is in the past and all I can do is try to have a better future. I say that, but I need to believe it!!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

Originally Posted by tyler
So true. I wish I could say that I have forgiven myself for the things I have done, but I have not. I have done so many bad things to so many people I love it keeps me up every night. Many nights I lay in bed for hours thinking about all the things I have done, but the fact is there is nothing I can do about the past. It is in the past and all I can do is try to have a better future. I say that, but I need to believe it!!
Tyler,

I know exactly what you mean. It is so hard to forgive ourselves. My mind doesn't stop at night because I think of all those I have hurt and dissappointed. I suffer from INSOMNIA so very badly because of it.

No, there's nothing we can do about the past .... I'm just hoping I can prove to my family, especially my girls, that MOM is back!

Give yourself credit, Tyler, you are trying hard to change your ways. It's a great thing.

Wishing you Peace!

Much love,
Maria
Old 05-02-2005, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

findingme-

I am going to pray that you forgive you. I am sure that reliving guilt and shame is a major cause of relaps. Just be gentle with yourself let the cr@p fall away from you. Keep writing about it and keep moving forward.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes! We can forgive ourselves! First we have to maintain abstinance.. in order to find te peace we seek, we have to stop clouding and befuddling our thoughts and emotions.

then we can go on to the awareness that there is hope for a new saner way of thinking and we learn to make decisions in our present that prevent us from repeating the painful acts of the past.

Eventually we can find the freedom to own all of our past including the mistakes, the harm we've dome to ourselves and others, and come to peace with the knowledge and faith that our future is founded in the healthier manner of living we practice today.

we don't forget our past or shut it out, we come to terms with it, and use it for a refernce of where we don't ever want to go again.

The deepest resentments I've held have been against myself. And as long as I was trapped by those, I wasn't able to break some of the harmful ways I treated others.

Hang on.. there is a way out.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Thanks Gooch I really respect your opinion.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are always so hard on ourselves. We beat ourselves up when we could just forgive and be gentle with ourself.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
toxicwarrior

Hello findingme, It is very hard to forgive ourself when we live in guilt over what we have done to ourself and others.What works for me most days is looking in the mirrior and say I forgive myself and those who donot understand us as addicts . And I love myself today!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I will

share what happened to me...

When I did my AA Steps 4 and 5 I forgave myself.

Simple remedy for years of depression remorse misery and guilt.

I think it was easy for me as I beleive He forgives those who ask.

If God does..why would I not?

Blessings..
Old 05-18-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We can pray and ask God to help us forgive ourselves. It isn't easy, but it makes things a lot better when we are not always beating ourselves up.