Notices

just back from AA

Old 04-30-2005, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just back from AA

Hiya all, i am just back from my very first AA meeting and i will tell you, boy do i feel better! I was very nervous at first, i turned up late and lingered outside for a while. Eventually a nice man came out as he saw me through the door and greeted me with a big hug!!! Its was so nice. I told him i was scared and get anxious in small spaces, but he said that i could just sit by the door and if i wanted to go to just do that. He said no one will judge me. So i did. I went in and soon became relaxed esspecially as people were coming and going out of the room because they needed to. This made me feel like i could to if i wanted, but i never! i sat through the whole thing and listined to other peoples storys. Everyone was so nice and i could relate to some of what they were saying. When i was asked if i wanted to share i just tolod everyone i was an anxious speaker and they says just to take my time. So i did. This is what i said:

"My name is Bonnie and im not going to say i am an alcholic because i dont understand if i am or not. All i know is that i have a problem. Everyone is telling me to stop but i cant resist the cravings. I will just say i have a problem for the moment, its a step for me."

Is that ok what i said? I was sooooo scared, and my voice was trembling.

All in all though i really enjoyed it. A few people gave me there numbers and one of the ladys actually stays on the same street as me! i was very wary at first as most of the people were twice my age and i thought they might just think i was a silly wee girl, but they never. They actually said that they were envious of me for getting there so soon. This made me feel good.

I will deffinetly be attending more meetings!

Take care all, bonnie,xxxx
Old 04-30-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

What you said was GREAT!! I copped out and passed my first time!! The important thing is that you introduced yourself, got some numbers, and found out that there is nothing to be afraid of. Good for you!!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Yea Bonnie!!!! That is so great. I am glad you went and even happier that you found it a rewarding experience. As far as what you said, it sounded perfect to me! There may be more meetings in your area, and if you look around, you might find one with more people your own age. However, any meeting where you feel comfortable is a good one!!!

I am very proud of you. This was a VERY big deal. Be nice to yourself today! You deserve it.

Hugs--
Old 04-30-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fantastic!!

You were so brave and you sound so positive!

Keep going forward
Old 04-30-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FishyFishy,
I am so happy for you for going to your meeting, I read and reread the posts about your concerns of going and I am so glad that it turned out like it did for you. I hope that I can be as brave as you were, when I make up my mind to go. Thank you for sharing your story.
Quilter
Old 04-30-2005, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm really proud of you Fishy! Good on ya! Whatever you say at a meeting is the right thing. That's so awesome you got up the nerve and had a good experience. You've given me hope for today.

Thorn
Old 04-30-2005, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you had a good, positive experience at the meeting. What you said was just fine. You were honest and that's very important to be honest with yourself. You're searching and seeking and all of us were like that at one time. Just keep going to meetings and you'll eventually be able to answer the question of whether or not you're an alcoholic. Great job!
Old 04-30-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Great job! I hope that is the step that brings you closer to sobriety. Good luck...
Old 04-30-2005, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

That's How it Works.
Welcome Bonnie
Old 04-30-2005, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Doug

Way to go Bonnie!

Old 04-30-2005, 09:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

bonnie that was a great step to take welcome to the AA group!!! at my first meeting i can totally relate to you i was and am the youngest by far!! i'm 24 and the people at my first meeting were mainly men (two women) and they were about 50 and up. anyways i love this meeting still to this very day. they are all like my grandpas!! i love them. dont let the diease tell you, your young your just having fun. dont give into that. if you didnt think you had a problem you wouldnt have gone right. i fight with myself everyday about how young i am. and then i have to remember i didnt go through those doors because i wanted to see what the alkies were up to. i went through those doors bc i had a problem too. i can go back out... but... what will that get me. nothing but those yets i never go to. like i never went to jail... yet... i never got a DUI... yet... i never drank in the morning... yet... i never drank all day... yet... i'm not like my mother... yet... so when your having those thoughts (and if your anything like most of us here you will) remember to play through the whole experiences of your drinking. that usually helps me. good luck and keep up the great work
Old 05-01-2005, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Drunk

good on ya........seriously. That is the first and bravest step anyone can take towards recovery. Everybody here seems more than willing to help and very nice as well.....! The only other thing I can think to give you as advice is take this one day at a time. Dont try to picture yourself days or weeks or months from now, and where you might be. Just dont drink today, go to a meeting, and get throught just today!!! it really does work.

Oh yeah, and GET A SPONSOR......as sooon as possible!! This person will help guide you in the right direction and will function as a sort of "mobile AA meeting" when you need it most. Your sponsor will be there ANYTIME you call, and can be a great friend to you in the Program. If you do what is suggested to you in this program, and NOT what you think is good for you, ......then recovery can be yours!!

This is a simple program, so dont think too much about it. All the thinking will come later, just keep up what you are doing and DONT DRINK NO MATTER WHAT!!!! IT DOES GET BETTER!!!!

Beleive it, we have all done it........you can too!
Old 05-01-2005, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ama

(((Bonnie)))

You are great and that was brave and more importantly HONEST!!! and honesty is at the core of recovery and sobriety.......
Old 05-01-2005, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Way to go Bonnie!!!!!!
I am sooo proud of you!!!
One day at a time
Keep it simple
Keep coming back, it works if you work it, so work it, you're worth it!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

(((Bonnie)))

Lotsa hugs.

When I was 33, I'd been going to Al-Anon and ACOA (Adult Children of Alcoholics) meetings for several months. I got married (#2) that summer too. I started thinking about my own use and abuse of alcohol. One night at an ACOA meeting, I shared that I'd been thinking, and maybe I should check out AA. I went home and told my wife, an Al-Anon member for years, what I'd shared.

The next Saturday evening, we went to see the new home of a married couple, program friends of ours. We spent 5 minutes looking at their house, then he took me aside and his wife took my wife aside. He got me talking about my drinking history. I laid it out for him, then asked him, "Do you think I'm an alcoholic?"

He said, "I can't answer that. But from what you've told me about why you drank, how you drank, and how it affected you, you may want to try some meetings."

Here's the important part for you: I went to AA meetings every night for the next week and introduced myself by saying, "My name is Harold and I might be an alcoholic."

No one criticized in any way. That was enough.

The next Sunday morning in church, I went up to the altar for communion as I had done every Sunday for about three years. I hadn't had a bar drink in about two months. As soon as I sipped from the cup, room temperature wine mixed with water, I wanted to grab the chalice from the priest and chug it. I'd never had that reaction before. Of course I couldn't do that, but I delighted in the knowledge that I'd be communion assistant next week and I'd get to finish what was left over.

I went back to my pew, knelt, and took AA's Step One. I admitted that I'm powerless over alcohol and that my life had become unmanageable. That was on November 27, 1988. I've had continuous sobriety since. I went to church this morning, took and ate the communion bread, and, as usual, kissed the chalice. That's all I can safely do.

No situation is so bad that a drink won't make it worse. For me, much worse. I would lose an important part of my identity.

This is my 100th post on this site.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments and stories I really am so glad i found this site
Old 05-02-2005, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paige

Awesome! How wonderful. The first meeting was a huge step for me...and what I found there was very similar to your experience. Keep going back! You are on your way!

Paige