How many meetings do you attend?

Old 04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

How many meetings do you attend?

I was just curious. I've heard different people in the program say you should attend one every day, some say one a week...I have just heard so many suggestions. How do I know what is right for me? How many works for you?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My line of sponsorship requires me to attend 2 meetings a week of AlAnon and one AA. So I go Sundays and Tuesdays. I see my sponsor at the Sunday meeting but we have alot of other activities..(that's just how our line of sponsorship works..it was an agreement I made to get sponsored by my current sponsor..not all groups work this way.just mine)..

If I need it, I go more..Sometimes wish it would be less but for now 2 a week is good for me..
Old 04-25-2005, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Everyone is different according to the area and availiablity of the meetings. When I started going to Al-Anon I went to 2-3 a week. Sometimes I went to A.A. meetings.

Now there is only 1 meeting in my town and 2 that I know of in the next nearest town.

However, most all of my friends are in the A.A. or Al-Anon programs so we see each other almost daily. I have whole network of people I can call when I need to talk who know me better than I know myself.

I hope that anwsers your question. I know I would go to more meetings if they were available simpley because I feel so much calmer and serene when I go.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Hi Minx,
I think thats great that you go to AA meetings too. How does that work? I mean when you introduce yourself do you just say you are from Al-Anon? Also, I've been told to attend new meetings to find one I really like. Each time I go to a new one, do I need to introduce myself as a newcomer? Or is that just in relation to being new to that particular meeting?

Ahhhhhh,,,,so many questions on how all of this works....
Old 04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sav, the only AA meetings that I am aware Anons can attend are open AA meetings. They are generally speaker format, therefore no need for introduction.
Someone me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I go to the open AA meetings - but 2 different formats..We have one that is a speaker meeting and the other is a mixed format (blue book study, steps etc.)..I don't participate other then to listen..only the A's actually share or introduce themselves.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I attend one meeting a week that is all I have time for with me still being in high school and i really like my home group that is where my sponsor is but I have tried other meetings. It is what ever is right for you. If I could I would go to more.
LOve,
Shana
Old 04-25-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add that I think the open AA meetings have been great for my recovery. The open speaker meetings are actually fascinating! I love to hear the A's story of recovery..very inspiring..
Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I went to an AA meeting back with my Abf when he was sober, and they had me introduce myself. I felt a little ackward, since I was the only non AA person there.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Almost all of the AA meetings here are open. And I'm not sure we have any speaker meetings. But... I live in a semi rural area in Central Washington. I'm an alkie, btw, tryin' to get my gf to check out Alanon here. There's only a couple in the area. She has PTSD and some serious abuse, neglect, and abandonment issues from childhood. She is always calling herself stupid and unworthy. I want to help but don't know how. Plus she see's my working on sobriety and talking to "stangers" about my problems as betrayal. I dunno, we may be toast.

Doorknob
Old 04-25-2005, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I see what I chose to see...

how do you know which meetings to attend?

the whole meeting thing sounds overwhelming. Don't get me wrong I know that I must attend but how do you know which meeting would be best...my husband's been clean and sober for over 30 days. He didn't have a major alcohol problem but one did lead to another and he rediscovered a drug addiction. My mother was an alcoholic who also abused prescription drugs ( who died in 2002, crohn's disease), my brother is a dry drunk, quit alcohol cold turkey, no meetings, some counselling but smokes pot almost daily. My father-in-law, my husband's best friend, was almost 10 years clean when he relapsed these last few months...and my mother-in-law is in the program...
Should I be checking out NarAnon or Alanon?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jus ... meeting suggestion

Go as often as you wish. Some weeks I practically live in the rooms, other weeks I find myself consumed with school work and don't go as frequently. But .... I've found when I stay away for awhile I start to get crazy so I keep going back as often as I need to. I know one woman who goes to meetings all day every Saturday. It sounds like overkill to me, but if it works for her, then it works.

I go to A.A. meetings as well as Al-Anon. Actually, I get more out of A.A. because I can relate to more that the alkies are saying. On the other hand, I find Al-Anon literature to be very uplifting and enlightening.

Everyone finds their own nitch. Just go with the flow and do what feels right for YOU.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Meetings are exactly what you make them.

If I go with an open mind and a willingness, I attend a great meeting. Both AA and Al-Anon work the same 12 steps except for one word change in Al-Anon.

I always introduce myself as an Al-Anon member when at an A.A. meeting even if I am the only Al-Anon there. I am truly gratiful to A.A. for sharing so generously the program with Al-Anon. While I can't always relate to the alcoholic the thing I need most is hearing of their recovery which in my family is nil.

At first it may seem confusing but usually the format is nearly the same at all of the Al-Anon meetings.

I can only tell you what my home group does. 1st Mon of each month is Step study, 2nd Mon is open or chairpersons choice, 3rd Mon is a Tradition Study, and 4th Mon is either open or a Concept study. Funny how it works out too, 12 Steps, 12 Traditions, 12 Concepts and 12 months in the year. If there is a guest we always go around the table and introduce ourselves.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

For me, a meeting is a meeting. All recovery oriented meetings help. When I first got into recovery, it helped to go to meetings that I could identify MY problems. Al-Anon was the place I found out who I was and the truths about myself. Once I identified, I found that all meetings, AA, Al-Anon, Nar-Anon etc, were all focussed on the same 12 steps. The problems are different, the solution the same.

I go to about 3 Al-Anon meetings a week, and about 3 open AA meetings. It's not about how many meetings. It's about getting involved and making contacts. I have a phone list, am active in a home group, and have a sponsor. Making more meetings gave me an opportunity to do those things. Hugs, Magic
Old 04-26-2005, 06:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't go to enough meetings, I know that. Problem is, there aren't enough around here. I will be starting one in my nearby town, but I think it's probably a good idea to get working the Steps first.

Off to my first one in a couple of weeks tonight. It will only be my 2nd one since I've moved, but already I feel so welcome. I also keep in touch with my friends from my old meeting too.

I think it'll take time to find out how many meetings you need to go to and which ones. Try them out would be my only advice. If they aren't for you, then what have you lost?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Love

Minnie
xxx