A little update from me

Old 09-18-2002, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

A little update from me

Hi all

I've been lurking a little more since we are in a bit of a routine now. We are all doing good. I have come to the conclusion I may not be mother material - I have no patience. I try and I try and I keep telling myself she is six but my patience wears thin some times. All in all she is a good girl and I also keep reminding myself the life she has lived (especially now) has probably been a bit crazy. Anyway, I guess I am getting better with the patience thing but now I know why I never had kids

We've been shopping, and we have colored and played barbies, we watch the cartoon network and she absolutely adores playing the bath. She goes to school, but she tells me it is boring (I will brag here and say she is an excellent reader but needs improvement with her writing )

Anyway, just thought I would let you know I am still around but we are busy with homework at night too. I guess I go to bed when she does because I am beat!! lol

Oh well, thanks for letting me vent and brag a bit. Here is a picture of my sweetie on her first day of first grade. She really is a cutie....she posed for me

Talk to you all later.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 09-18-2002, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Barbiedeb

She is adorable!!!! What a cutie, posing for her Aunt.

Now for a bunny slipper nudge...you are a great mom!!!! Most women get 9 months to get used to the idea and grow with the baby. Babies sleep a lot...takes about a year before they can even walk out of your sight.

Getting a 6 year old would wear out even the most energetic parent. This is a wonderful age and they are so very cute, but they are busy and want attention constantly.

Just take more time for YOU. Put aside some time every day that is just for you...she can entertain herself or get a babysittter for a couple of hours and relax. Have her mother come over for a day on the weekend and you go out and do things you like to do.

Even the best child on earth can wear you out if you don't take a break once in a while.

And this lucky little girl is learning as much from you as she is at school.

****************{Barbiedeb}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old 09-18-2002, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Bonbon, Anns is right. Mothers get a warm up period that you didn't get! Hang in there, it will get easier in time.

Sherri
Old 09-18-2002, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Barbiedeb,
Awwwww, she is such a sweetie! Trust me I can relate to your exhaustion, My little one is 5 and I feel like I've been hit by a mac 10 truck sometimes by the time I stop trying to catch up with her.

Your doing a wonderful job. She is lucky to have you as her Aunt.

Keep on dropping by here!

Love ya!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

BD,

I am with the others...my grandson is 5 and boy does he keep me on my toes when he visits. When he goes home I drink in the silence. But no one can make me laugh like he can!

Can you pick a "quiet time"? Set an hour or more in the eve when only quiet "all by yourself" activities will do. Reading or puzzles...no crayons...you have to watch crayons. This could even be a before bedtime routine after bath and jammies so you both can wind down. Kids thrive on routine. Good luck!

Hugs,
JT
Old 09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Deb,

She is really cute and I can tell she is smart and has a lot of energy. Hang in there. It's quite a change from what you are used to. I used to stay up late to get my peaceful moments. I think that's why I'm still a nite owl. I never was one to get up earlier for peaceful moments. I know others that do though. I know you already get up pretty early. I've been thinking about you.

Hugs,
MG

Old 09-18-2002, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Barbie:This young lady radiates,smart,energenic,and whit.I have a quite time with music,and sometime a little masage for her,start with her feet and go to her back then the neck,teaching her how to relax her body.The little ones love it and they fall asleep quick once they are subject to it.It will also build trust,and she will know she is in a safe place.You are a good mom and a loving person.Tell yourself this at least 100 times a day.Positive thinking works also.God hears mothers prayers.Old Lady N Shoe
Old 09-18-2002, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fantastic Member

Barbie..........aka MOM....... : )
It is not easy to be a Mother....but I will tell you this ...my 26 year old daughter called me tonight, she is not a mom but a teacher for learning disabled children, and works with others who have kids. She paid me the ultimate compliment....she said, Mom you know I never realized how hard you had it when we were growing up. How did you manage all three of us, work, take us to sports practices all over town, dancing lesson, shop, cook clean, do laundry you name it and then get up the next day? She said I am exhausted from my kids and they are going HOME to their parents! I waited 26 years to hear that! I felt so proud. Some day that little girl who is wearing you down and is not even your daughter is going to thank you with all of heart for being there, playing barbies and giving her care when no one else could.
Hang in there...she is a cutie : )
Love Kitty
Old 09-19-2002, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Barbiedeb -

You are doing just great. And she is adorable.

I know exactly how you feel. It is different being a stepparent (like you are and like I am). We don't have the time to prepare to be a mom and then the baby years also.

Pauls kids were 5 and almost 2 when Paul and I made the committment to be together after getting clean. they were here a few times to visit then they moved to Montana (they are back now) and they came for visits during holidays and 6 weeks straight in the summer. the week holiday visits were fun the first few times I would take time off work and we would play every day. But the first 6 week visit in the summer knocked me off my feet. I had no idea what I was doing trying to work, take them to daycare, lunches laundry, pick them up drop them off, what are they gonna eat, crying cause they missed their mom, etc. etc. etc. I thought I was going to be sent to Napa State Hospital when they left. But...it got easier. The more I developed a realtionship with them the easier it got. Don't get me wrong, they still rock my world when they come for the summer, because my routine totally changes, and as they get older they change, but the greater the bond you build, the easier the changes.

Hang in there I am sure you are doing a great job - Us part time moms have to stick together!!!
Old 09-19-2002, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Ladies!!!

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. The routine is getting a little better, I just get rattled so easily. I have come to the conclusion I am over protective (perhaps because she isn't mine, I have no idea). Anyway, today she knew I was mad when she wouldn't sit down with me to go over her homework. I actually told her I was mad. She went in her room and pouted and then asked if she could please do her homework. She doesn't like it when I am mad. Can I tell you she broke my heart. That sad face. I know there needs to be structure and discipline but I am just too big of a softy!!

Oh well, I am getting weepy here. I think it must be PMS time.

Thanks again for your encouragement and support. I do appreciate it. We are going to the shore for an over night stay on Saturday and I just found out it was Ms America weekend. Should be interesting. Me, the kid and the A, maybe I should write a book.

Talk to you all soon.

Many hugs.
Love
Debbie

PS Remind me to tell you the positive effect she has had on my A........it really is amazing
Old 09-19-2002, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sign me up for a copy of THAT book . I'll bet it would be a best-seller. And "normies" would think it was fiction.

Have a wonderful time. You sound like such a great mom with a heart as big as Texas.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Barbiedeb,
I was wondering how the "A" was doing
in all this!
I think you're a angel, and patience?
I'm still working on patience, I was not
a patient mother, and even now when I've
had a little too much quality time with
my grandkids I feel myself wearing thin.
Step away from Gramma!!!
Have a great weekend!

Hugs,
Old 09-20-2002, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Barbiedeb,
Someone once told me that no one can be a "GOOD" mother all the time. But you can be a good enough mother. This helps me when I feel down on myself about my mothering skills. I may not be the most patient or the most consistent in dispensing rules and consequences BUT, I am a good listener and my kids can talk to me. That means more to me than I can describe. I have a relationship with them and I know what is in their hearts. I didn't have a very good role model for being a "GOOD" mother, but I think I did mostly ok.

You are doing ok. This is the hardest thing that you will ever feel called on to do. Harder even than the relationship with your A. Your whole world changes when you take a child into your life. You become vulnerable in a unique way and also you are open to the most wonderful love there is. Remember it is no small thing when someone so fresh from God loves us. It is a feeling beyond compare. It will be hard, but you can do it and it will enrich your life. Have a good weekend.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

You guys are truly the best!! I love you!!

I will be back tomorrow some time. You all be good!!

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie