Notices

Yay! 2 weeks sober

Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ups_n_downs

Yay! 2 weeks sober

I'm two weeks sober today and pleased. The itching for a drink is getting worse though. I keep thinking "well, two weeks, that was good, I can enjoy myself now". It's scary because another part of my brain tells me exactly where it will lead. Ug. I keep reading all of your posts to keep me motivated. If I start drinking again it will be a straight slide downhill. All of you seem to understand that and it helps to read things from people who know where I'm coming from.
I have another problem. I went out (sober) with my friends for the first time in a long time this weekend. Everybody was great except for one friend that I have who is a serious alcoholic. He is so obnoxious and pushy and...well...drunk all the time that he depresses me. I don't want to be like him but he also makes me want to drink. Should I cut all ties?
K
Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi K
Congratulations on 2 weeks.... that is a great start for you sobriety.
I know for me personally, going out with friends and being around alcohol so soon after getting sober, would not have worked for this alcoholic.
Most of us have to learn a whole new way of life when we get sober, one that is not centered around alcohol.
In order to change the old groove in our life's record, we have to keep reinforcing for ourselves, the knowledge and habit that life can and is even better when we are sober.
Being around folks like your friend only confirms for me that being sober is way cooler than being sloppy and drunk.... it is also normal being new in sobriety to feel more like drinking when faced with being around the situation you were in.

Glad you are here..
Old 04-25-2005, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...

When I was a drinker ....so were my friends...
now that I am sober...so are my friends.

Way to go on your sober time Karen.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Conratulations on your 2 weeks!

It is a great start and sounds like you are mostly enjoying it. Wish I could say after two months that the desire has gone away completely...but, there is always a way to deal with it. I felt that with more time, (relatively little compared to others) , rather than thinking that I deserved a "break", I truly didnt' want to threaten all of the work I had put into getting it. You will be there before you know it!

As for your drunken friend, there is always a middle way I think. You can totally cut ties, or simply minimilize your contact...maybe one on one in the daytime would find him sober.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Way to go on 2 weeks, that's great. I know for me, I stay away from all my old friends, they weren't really friends anyway. Today my friends are my NA family.
Glad you're here.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ups and Downs, Congratulations!

In regards to your question, I think of getting sober as almost changing your culture. By culture I mean that we are used to going to certain places, being with certain people, listening to a certain kind of music, and recreating in certain ways. When pursuing recovery, so much of that has to change. I've lost some "friends" (they weren't really friends anyway) and had to not visit certain places that I always visited before. I have to say goodbye to old ways of "having fun." But I have made new friends and have found new interests. So there is a positive side to it as well -- pursuing a new and exciting way of life.

ChrisMan
Old 04-25-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your best bet is to cut all ties. I come from a family of drinkers and with me trying to refrain from drinking, being around that environment only prompts me to want to drink....besides, they always offer even when they know i'm trying to quit......
Old 04-25-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Two weeks...
Awesome!

Isn't it amazing how we sometimes see people differently, when we cleared our minds just a little? Your friend... Well, they tell us that we sometimes need to change some of the people, places and things, from our old life.

You are responsible for your sobriety.
And part of that responsibility carries with it the ability to make tough choices sometimes.
Your friendship with this person might just be one of them.

I wish you continued success.
You are so worth it.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think its a good idea to find new activities that really spark your interest. If you can devote enough time to it, before you know it you have a brand new hobby.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

congrats on two weeks I have 17 days today hope your 17 is as good as mine was
Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Well Done
Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

better and better

Congrads on two weeks. I am hitting 11 days today and had similer questions about what to do when you stop boozing.

Have not figured out yet,, but I am working on neglected projects, working out.etc.