Notices

A Quick Question

Old 04-22-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Quick Question

As my dad was an alcoholic and died from his disease and my mum had drug problems does anyone thing I was predisposed (even before my birth) to having a drug/stealing/eating issues?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

well i dont think you have been predisposed before birth howeve i do think that having a alcoholic dad and addict mom does increase your chances. keep a good eye on yourself.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It has not been proven scientifically, but it is common. I believe that we are predipositioned to it. For that reason, I pray extra hard that my 15 year old son never picks up the first one!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I

think it does not matter. The important issue is

what you do to find recovery.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I believe that drug issues and alcoholism can be hereditary because even though my mom doesn't drnk or use drugs and never has. My dad is an alcoholic smokes a little bit of pot now maybe 3 hits a month but at one time when he was about 25-27 he smoked over an ounce a week, I at a quarter pound a week but I was doing stupid ridiculous things...My dad also had a little problem with cocaine but stoped himself whne he couldn't go to work one day and he owned his own construction buissness and didnt want to lose it, kind of like me realizing cocaine was no good and not worth doing after realizing howe muchn I liked it after a few time doing it. I was also an alcholic up until 24 days go when I stoped doing everything because of 2 felony arrests in one year. Im gonna b alright in both cases because ones done and over with and the other was all illegal stop and will be supressed because I have a top notch attonrey but i relalzed my life will be full of those incidents if i didnt stop. Just stick to being sober no matter what your parents did, yeah it makes you more apt to use but when it comes down to it it's a choice.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

I believe that if you have alcoholic history in the family that it is not necessarily the cause of your own addiction, but yes, it does predisposition you toward that tendency. I would say a tad of genetics, but more behavior development. I come from relatives that are alcoholic, my brothers both are, and me, though neither of my parents are. I developed this theory when I was young and I mean I was pretty young to figure it out, in my family it skips a generation so far. Though with my kids and their cousins, my theory may be squashed.

I tried to figure out the why's for so long, that the why's became another excuse to drink, so like Carol said it's about recovery now. I may never get my answers.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Nice to meet you, my mom was a prescription drug addict, and I followed her unfortunate path. But the difference between her and I is I can do something about it, she was not capable of the same, try as she did. Addiction and alcoholism(my 30 year old cousin died a couple years ago, mixing antibuse w/ drinking) run very deep in both sides of my family. I want to help, by changing he pattern in my family, that way maybe ( I pray to god) my kids will not go through the life we have lived, the problems we have made. Nice to meet you, hope you stick around here. Luv, Becky
Old 04-22-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Angelgirl, sorry to hear about your cousin, must have been tough. I respect all your views, I know they come from a good place.

kissy kisses xxxx
Old 04-22-2005, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My parents are drug addicts and I think it does increase our chances. We have watched our family's behavior and whether we ever realize it or not, tend to act out the behavior that we learned by watching others. It is a self-repeating circle that can be stopped.