Starting to understand what this disease does...

Old 04-21-2005, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Unhappy Starting to understand what this disease does...

I've been doing a lot of thinking today about this disease and how it has changed my ex Abf. I spoke to him today, first time in 3 weeks and this may sound mean to say, but he is pathetic. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way either; he kept repeating himself, and rambling on not making any sense. He said he has been staying at his A Dad's house and has been walking everywhere, as his brand new truck was repossesed. And I'm sorry to say this about his Dad, but he has had troubles with holding down a job, runs a tab at the local bar, stays until closing every night, leaves drunk after they kick him out; and is known as the "town drunk." He also has a gambling problem. He's just pathetic.

I used to pity his Dad when my ex was sober, I felt bad for the way that he was, and now my ex A is becoming him at the young age of 26. He's a loner, travels from place to place after the person he is staying with gets tired of him and his drinking. This is so not the guy that I used to know. He used to work, come home watch TV, and we would take the dog for a walk, go to the park or go and grab a Mocha at Starbucks. We would just enjoy the simple things in life.

Now he is starting to become his Father, and he has no desire to stop at this time. Although I will not enable him and realize its his disease. It's just so sad what this disease does to people and their families. It's definatley progressive...I wish I could knock some since into him, but I know it doesn't work that way. What a waste of a once wonderful guy...

Goodbye C..I hope you can find your way back to sobreity someday....

Last edited by Savana 54; 04-21-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

wow, good for you for recognizing this so early on. I have lived with it for 17 years. Every few months or every few years there is hope, and then WAM... same old, same old. You are right, it is so sad what this disease does to families. I am on the brink of divorce, possibly supervised visitation for him since he is uncapable of keeping his children safe. The word pathetic does come to my mind too. And these men we were in love with weren't pathetic. So, I dream for that man to come back, but I believe he is just too far gone now. And yes, progressive. I know about 6 people that have died in the past few years as a direct result of alcoholism. The youngest was 22, just died a few months ago in a 4-wheeling accident - had been drinking and didn't have a helmet. Two were in their late 30's-one was suicide, the other's liver stopped working, one had just had his 50th b-day, liver stopped working, one was late 30's - ran himself into a pole at about 50+ miles per hour on a 15 mph curvy brick road and the other was late 50's. It is so sad.

Thanks for sharing - it helps me to read encouraging stories like yours.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I don't know how encouraging my story is..LOL!! Thats so sad about all the people that died as a result of alcohlism...what a waste of a life