Notices

New to this...

Old 04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this...

Hi my name's Karl and I'm English. I live on my parent's farm near Glastonbury. I'm disabled and can't get about much, so I spend a lot of my time reading books and listening to music. I get disability for a mental health problem too - PTSD.
I joined this forum because I drink alot. Sometimes I feel suicidal. I can be a real pain in the neck. My folks thought it might be beneficial and that's why I'm here.
I'm writing this at 4.30 am - I've been up all night listening to Led Zep and trying to decide what to say.
Anyway, thanks for reading this,

Karl.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey karl..thanks for introducing yourself..this is a great place to start, and i'm new to this so i don't really know what to say other than hang in there and the thing i like most about this group is we are here 24 hours a day so you could be from japan for all i know/care. don't forget no one is here to judge you we have all been there so feel free to say whatever's on your mind ( but you can't swear or they'll *** you out) anyway glad you're here and stay sober and i just might too...

ps... life is beautiful i know how it feels to want to die but you DO have a reason to live...you.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Karl and welcome aboard....
Sounds like you are ready to make some positive changes in your life.
Make yourself at home and check out the various forums... you will find out that you are not alone and that there is experience, strength and hope here.
Most of us find that it is too much for us to conquer our demons on our own and that sharing it with another helps us to get back on the good red road and lead happier more prductive lives....
Old 04-20-2005, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Karl...

A warm welcome to Sober Recovery ..

I know that old ways of thinking got me into the shytehole I was in before I entered recovery... but that slowly I changed my thinking... and my life then changed along with it.

We all have handicaps... in one form or another.

That's why we need support from people that understand and can help us find our strength and find a life that is happy... joyous and free from emotional chaos.

I know I was happily surprised at the outcome of my efforts. I think you will be as well if you go after your truths.

Praying for you..
Old 04-20-2005, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hey Karl,

Welcome!! Too much Zep can bumm you out like that!!
Seriously, I do understand where you are comming from. I suffer from depression as well and have had to deal with suicidal thoughts for a long time. One thing I will say is that drinking usually won't help with that, at least for me. I take meds for my depression and when I drank and smoked pot (my DOC) I found it often caused the meds to have the opposite effect. Alcohol is a depressant, of course you probably know that, I know it doesn't make it any easier. This is a great place to meet people and talk about stuff. You will always find an open ear. Take care.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey karl, Im in the uk as well, west sussex, I stumbled upon this site yesterday cos I woke up feeling desperate. I'd been up all night banging coke and just thought, what the **** was that all about? I too suffer from PTSD, so I know what a downer that is. We are all in this together, and it looks like there are lots of friendly people here. Keep your chin up mate. xxx p.s peeped at your profile and just want to say I love Leftfield!!
Old 04-21-2005, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Karl,
Glastonbury, eh? I just moved back to Australia after living in Surrey and up in Glasgow for two years! OK, so thats nowhere near where you are, but anyway!

Thought this link might be helpful for you too, it's very similar to this site, only it's for people with Anxiety disorders, its really helped me through some tough times with panic attacks etc...

http://www.algy.com/anxiety/ib/index.php

Jen

PS I've also battled with the black hole that is deppression, for many years, but, I'm basically over it now, things can and do get better.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Looking forward to hearing more about you and your story. I am sure you will have many new mates here soon...especially those English types!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Karl,

Your folks sound wise. Big welcome to the forum.

I can relate to the depression, suicidal thoughts and being a royal pain...i used to get that a lot, still do sometimes but not as intense now i have been sober a while.

Real pleased you found us. I live not far from you (Chew Valley area) so feel a special kinship for a yokel.

Warmest wishes
Evanna.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Karl--Welcome to SR! This is a wonderful place with very supportive people who truly know where you are coming from. My name is Laura and I am a recovering alkie/pothead. Sobriety has been such a gift for me.

Make yourself comfortable, read some posts, and post some more yourself. We are all glad you are here!

Hugs--
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Blimey, so many and so fast!
Thankyou - april*rain, KelKel, bikewench, tyler, littlebopeep, Jen26, Time4Me, Evanna, and lulu70. It really cheered me up to find that my first post wasn't hanging out there all on its own. I notice you've got some interesting names, so I thought I'd post them all here again (that's a cool pic as well, tyler) -

Karl
Old 04-21-2005, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Hiya Karl and welcome! Boy you found a great community for friendship and support, we're glad you found us!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HI there Karl just want to welcome you to SR ,the people on here have helped me more than i can put into words and i just know they,ll help you too.....
Im from England too.......
Sounds like youve got a great mum and dad lookin out for yer Karl .....
Lookin forward to you posting some more love Lulu xx
Old 04-21-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Karl! This is a great place to be and make new friends!

ChrisMan
Old 04-21-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Really glad ya came back Karl.. ;o)
Old 04-21-2005, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all - and again to Jen26, I checked out the site - looks good!

Karl
Old 04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome!

We are so pleased to see you here!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i am new to this also and i just don't know when people get on and chat or is this the way this forum is run and for you karl if you just don't pick up and be honest with yourself and reach out as you are doing then things will get better one day at a time
Old 05-21-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Chy

Ahh great you've joined us bscotia! If you have questions just ask away, someone will always be along to help you out. Scroll around and get comfy, and don't worry you can't break anything! Welcome!

Now Karl, where you been hiding? Hurry home!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi I Am New To This Also And I Have Read Some Of The Help That Is In This Forum And Would Like To Chat Is There A Good Time To Log On To Get A Meeting On Line Or Is This It , Please I Could Use Some Response To How This Works