Feeling sad - lost a dear pet

Old 04-20-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling sad - lost a dear pet

i am feeling down today as i had to "let go" of a dear pet last evening.

Lucky was the sweetest, most loving, friendly, dear cat i have ever had. she was a parking lot find and my ah took her in before we were married as i already had one stray living in my apt. and wasn't even supposed to have that one.

she was almost 17 years old and had developed kidney disease a couple weeks ago and in trying to treat her, other problems were found that compounded treating her without many risks (heart, possible internal bleeding, etc.)

i will miss her and her sweet little noise she made, her purring when sitting on anyone's lap, her rubbing up against all who entered our home.

thanks for letting me share my sorrow with those who i know will care!

i post the following link in memory of my little Luckster - if you have ever lost a pet - "The Rainbow Bridge" is a wonderful poem.

www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

(for some reason when i put this in as a link - it won't bring up the page , so type this in the adress box).
Old 04-20-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AWww! cwohio - I am so sorry for your loss - I have two kitties (they are both only about 2 years old), and they are my only roomates. It's so good to come home to them - pets are such a great source of unconditional love, which so many of us are unaccoustmed to getting....
Old 04-20-2005, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your loss, it is tough to loose something you love. 17 years wow, she lived a very long life. It sounds like she had a very good 17 years.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))
Old 04-20-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry cwohio, I remember losing my old dog - I was prepared for it but it still hurt like hell.

I joke about giving my muts away but if I lost one I'd be gutted.

Hope you start to feel a bit better soon, at least she had her whole life with someone to love and care for her - not a bad deal in return for hanging out in car lots!!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It worked sorry How very sweet!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, thanks for making me cry at work! I am SO sorry. I think our pets are so special to us because they love us unconditionally. I'm sure she will be misses terrably.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very sorry, I felt like I lost a pet when my ex took her cat from my home which bonded with me during the entire 4 months my ex was in recovery. I watched over our kid and we bonded very closly because the cat was so lonely and missed its mom, it had nobody but me to keep coming on my lap while I tried to use the phreaking computer. Eventually, we started playing with each other, I miss him much.

I feel your pain, but at least the cat was let go with love, and that means it lived a meaningful life. There couldnt be a better way to go but with love...
Old 04-20-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((cwohio))))I'm sooo sorry - I've lost several pets in the past year or so & it never gets easier...
Old 04-20-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Something's just come to mind. When I lost my old dog I remembered the lodgers I grew up with, many of them had fought in WW2.

One of them told us that in his unit they talked about friends that were dead and they all felt some part of them was still there. He said that they began to think the will of a person, their courage and worth stays with all those they loved after they die.

I remember thinking about that when my old dog died because she had a will of iron and I adored her pig headed streak to bits. She did teach me lots especially about love and companionship - none of that will ever leave me any more than the words of an old soldier who most likely died decades ago.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

all - thanks for your kind words!

I feel your pain, but at least the cat was let go with love, and that means it lived a meaningful life. There couldnt be a better way to go but with love...
codemaster - the above were my sentiments exactly!!! i am sorry you are missing you newfound buddy.

the cats that have lived in our household are treated like royalty and spoiled and loved to the core so they do live good lives and 17 years is above average so i have been very blessed!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

equus - how beautiful - thank you for sharing that. i feel as if her love and sweetness are surrounding me now!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This poem by the late actor Jimmy Stewart has been posted all over the internet and I think it sums up how all of have felt when we've lost a loved pet. It makes me smile and cry yet has brought comfort. I hope it does the same for you.

"Beau"
by Jimmy Stewart

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it,
But mostly he didn't come at all.
When he was young
He never learned to heel
Or sit or stay,
He did things his way.

Discipline was not his bag
But when you were with him things sure didn't drag.
He'd dig up a rosebush just to spite me,
And when I'd grab him, he'd turn and bite me.

He bit lots of folks from day to day,
The delivery boy was his favorite prey.
The gas man wouldn't read our meter,
He said we owned a real man-eater.

He set the house on fire
But the story's long to tell.
Suffice it to say that he survived
And the house survived as well.

On the evening walks, and Gloria took him,
He was always first out the door.
The Old One and I brought up the rear
Because our bones were sore.

He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on,
What a beautiful pair they were!
And if it was still light and the tourists were out,
They created a bit of a stir.

But every once in a while, he would stop in his tracks
And with a frown on his face look around.
It was just to make sure that the Old One was there
And would follow him where he was bound.

We are early-to-bedders at our house--
I guess I'm the first to retire.
And as I'd leave the room he'd look at me
And get up from his place by the fire.

He knew where the tennis balls were upstairs,
And I'd give him one for a while.
He would push it under the bed with his nose
And I'd fish it out with a smile.

And before very long
He'd tire of the ball
And be asleep in his corner
In no time at all.

And there were nights when I'd feel him
Climb upon our bed
And lie between us,
And I'd pat his head.

And there were nights when I'd feel this stare
And I'd wake up and he'd be sitting there
And I reach out my hand and stroke his hair.
And sometimes I'd feel him sigh
and I think I know the reason why.

He would wake up at night
And he would have this fear
Of the dark, of life, of lots of things,
And he'd be glad to have me near.

And now he's dead.
And there are nights when I think I feel him
Climb upon our bed and lie between us,
And I pat his head.

And there are nights when I think
I feel that stare
And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair,
But he's not there.

Oh, how I wish that wasn't so,
I'll always love a dog named Beau.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dax

I am so sorry for your loss. hugs dax
Old 04-20-2005, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Chris)))

I am so sorry for your loss. I had 2 cats and one got run over on the road when he was 18 months old. He was very accident prone and had broken a bone in his paw - it was all strapped up and he found his way out of the house and couldn't outrun the car. The pain of that loss was incredible. I still think of him all the time. However, I still have his sister, who will be 6 in June, and she is my little pal. I have just come back from a week away and she is still in the cattery and it's really odd without her here. After Butch died, Mia started to take on some of his characteristics. It was really strange, but it still feels like a part of him is living on in her.

At least the suffering is over for her.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 04-20-2005, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hadlbran

((((((((CWOHIO))))))))))))))

I am sooooo sorry for your loss! My best friend just lost his dog two days ago and I have sat and cried with him. It's so hard to lose a pet - I know because I have lost some before too. They are never far from your thoughts even when they are not here physically. Although these wonderful animals cannot speak, they can communicate in their own way. They truly are special! My heart really goes out to you! Just know that your beloved cat is much happier and much healthier now and is no longer suffering across that rainbow bridge!

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))
Old 04-20-2005, 04:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my baby to renal failure too. It's a very hard way to lose a pet. I'm sure she knew how much she was loved. I'm sure in 17 years you have built up a lot of memories to hold on to. Take care.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

(((((((((((((((((((((cwohio)))))))))))))))))))
Old 04-20-2005, 04:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

so sorry.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((((cwohio)))) I'm really sorry about your pet.

That poem hit home with me in a big way. My parents had to put our family dog down the other day. He was 14. He for some reason was just starting to lose his motor control although if he could have lived on spirit alone he would have. We all miss him so much. There's been crying for days!

The poem was wonderful, thank you for that.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

(((((CWOHIO)))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost many four-legged friends along the way and although it hurts terribly when they leave, they enrich our lives beyond measure. Sending hugs your way and prayers for your special friend.

A Pet's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than my loving heart. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I would lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do. Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when the sound of your footstep falls upon my ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside for I am now a domesticated animal, and no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater joy than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. If you had no home, I would prefer to follow you through the ice and snow, rather than to rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me fresh food, that I may stay well to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing, and able to protect you with my life.

And master, when I am old, if the Great Master sees fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold my trusting body gently. I shall leave knowing, with the last breath I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Amen.