Notices

Flare up periods happen.. Be aware!

Old 04-18-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Flare up periods happen.. Be aware!

http://butt-trusted.org/flare-up.html

The term "flare up periods" or "flare ups" refer to definite time periods during which the recovering alcoholic/addict experiences an increased amount of tension and anxiety. Should he return to the use of alcohol or drugs, it will most likely be during one of these flare up periods. It is important, therefore, that the recovering alcoholic/addict, his family, his friends, his employer and anyone else who may play an important role during these periods become aware of how to recognize the onset of a flare up period and what to do when one occurs.

Flare ups occur at predictable intervals: five to six days, four to five weeks, eight to ten weeks, thirteen weeks, six months, nine months, and eleven to thirteen months after the last use of alcohol/drugs.

Factors in recognizing the onset of a flare up include feelings of irritability, moodiness, boredom, restlessness and difficulty in eating and sleeping. These emotional states grow in intensity and come to a peak which lasts up to three days. During these three days, the recovering alcoholic/ addict may be extremely depressed and irritable. He may feel all is hopeless, that nothing can go right and display outbursts of anger for almost no reason or because of something which would ordinarily be considered insignificant. There are also some physical signs indicating that he is approaching a danger zone. He may develop aches and pains, he may perspire more than ordinary and he may have headaches.There also may be behavior changes. These changes are sometimes so slight that they would be passed off without undue attention unless one is watching for them. Uncharacteristic juvenile behavior, unreasonable giggling and joy, expressions of weariness, restlessness or boredom, and a sudden concern about his health, job, family, loneliness, etc. are examples of such behavior changes

WHAT TO DO
The first step in dealing with a flare up is to expect them and watch for the signs.
When you suspect that you are entering a flare up period, seek help from someone who will understand what you are going through, your counselor or therapist, your spouse, a fellow group member, AA, CA or a good friend (who won’t offer you a drink or drug) are possible sources of help. Sometimes just calling someone to talk to , going for a drive or working on a hobby will help reduce the tension of a flare up. In any case, it is best to keep busy.
Realize that the storm will pass. Flare ups usually last from one to three days. After it passes, things will return to normal again.
DO NOT DRINK! DO NOT USE DRUGS! One drink or drug will set off a chain reaction and you’ll find yourself completely loaded and right back where you started!

This is a really interesting site about the chemical changes that occur in our bodies during drinking and with the onset of sobriety. Check it out and be aware that it's not all in your head when you have an impulse to drink/use.

Hope this helps someone get thru the 3-4 month urges that will turn your past into your future.

Yours in sobriety,
Michele
Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Peace,

Tyler
Old 04-19-2005, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

On a somewhat related note, several years ago in outpatient treatment I was told to remember the word HALT. It was a lesson about never getting too:

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired.

These are all things that can set up a relapse. Just my two cents worth.

Kathy
Old 04-19-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes.. H.A.L.T. is one not to forget.. even with years of sobriety!

P.A.W.S. is the abbreviation for Post Acute Withdrawel Syndrome which is what the link above is about.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats great info.Thanks for posting.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

yes good stuff...thankyou..wondering if you could tell me the addy for the main page as i'm interested in checking out more of it but could only go to that one page?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

http://butt-trusted.org/ is the guy's site. Interesting guy and wonderful that he can share his ES&H online.

This information really helped me "white knuckle" it thru that very tough 3-4 month period of my early sobriety. Also around 1 year I occasionally found myself crawling up the walls and wondering why. It was a relief to understand why and realize that this too will pass.

yours in sobriety,
Michele
Old 04-22-2005, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post Mishki...

I am in and have been feeling one of these periods (8-10 weeks) and it helps to have some hard science to help me through it.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. This is true because I have noticed times where things just "flare up" out of nowhere and it is better to be prepared in advance instead of being blind sighted and fighting without weapons. These flare ups caused me to revive my past many times. Hopefully now I won't pick up anymore and hopefully be done with withdrawals for good.

been sober since April 9, 2005
Old 04-22-2005, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thats so interesting and worth taking on board, thanks.