Notices

being sober is so boring

Old 04-15-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

being sober is so boring

i'm not used to this at all and it's coming up on the weekend which will by first sober one ever. my friends that don't drink are so boring i went out last night for coffee with some old friends i thought i was going to cry i never wanted to drink so much in my life. i know i have to do this and i don't want to drink anymore but who thought it would be so hard?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ha!! I said that too early in recovery. My sponsor would say to me "Maybe your a boring person". I didn't like :-) Keep coming back my life has never been filled with so much excitements and I can feel these feelings.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Yeah, I miss getting F#CKED up and puking too AHHH the good old day

What do you like to do?? That's y the fellowship of AA is so important. Finding a group of people to have fun with and not drink. What is it you can't do and have fun? There's nothing that you can't do and have fun. You just don't drown out your brain cells to do it.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi April

I felt like that too - but that was my addiction talking to me, or my obsession with alcohol. I don't get it anymore, but boy do I remember it. My mind would tell me that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was just so bloody boring, unless I could drink. In fact I think I did cry.

I had to get rid of the alcohol obsession and when I did, that sort of thinking went too. I use AA (there are other programs) and today I don't want or need a drink to have fun - but I had to get a program to change.

It will get so much easier if you really want it.

much love
JC
Old 04-15-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Moontime
Ha!! I said that too early in recovery. My sponsor would say to me "Maybe your a boring person". I didn't like :-)
lmao, i like it! I bet you felt like punching your sponser's face in.

April*rain, please forgive me for i am going to run one of my favourite sayings by you. It sounds cliche i know but this one has helped me through so much stuff;
'when one door closes, another one opens BUT it can be bloody uncomfortable in the corridor'

I guess that is where you are right now; the corridor. You are moving away from an old life and have not moved fully into your new one. Early recovery is hard i know. I didnt have a clue what to do with myself for the longest time when i came around. These days i do things that i never even imagined as possibilities and i am hardly ever, almost never bored. Being sober has so many possibilities. You will find your doors.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

boring? I wish my life was boring some days.. usually it's so jam packed wit things to do that I can't get to it all.

Stick around your life in recovery won't be boring ... just a lot less chaotic and dangerous.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just keep hanging on to sobriety. Really getting into a new sober life takes some time to get used to. Things are so much better sober and you will realize that there are so many things to do that you could never do while drinking.

Don't give up on the possibilities. New things ahead.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi April,

I know how you feel and I think it will be a challenge for me too. I'm a thrill seeker by nature and I've always enjoyed intense activities. I like to snowboard, mountain bike, jump off cliffs (into water of course) etc. Part of the appeal for me of alcohol, pot, LSD, etc. was to intensify my thrills and feel like I'm pushing the limits. To be just barely in control tearing down that mountain. The sad thing is that the substances took over and gradually I lost the drive to do any of these things. Now I have to relearn to enjoy these activities sober. Watch a movie sober? Sing karaoke sober? Snowboard or mountain bike sober? Hell ya! And if I'm sober, I might actually get off the couch and go!

Doorknob
Old 04-15-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi April,
Can I relate! I'm going to the Caribbean in July, and I'm wondering what I'm going to do there since I can't drink.... how messed up is that! Alcoholism has twisted my thought processes so much. What I have found helpful so far (I'm only 3 months sober) is 1. change my daily routine when I get home from work, dont do the stuff if would normally do when i drink (like flip on the TV, I now flip on the radio). 2. Exercise until im exhausted 3. Stay out of Mexican restaurants where they advertise Margaritas on the table! 4. Keep talking to other revcovering AAers and reading these boards.
Be encouraged, the first few weeks really sucked, but it has gotten a lot better over time and starts to feel more normal, and new activities have just naturally come up.

RB
Old 04-15-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I had a counseler tell me " Only boring people get bored " and I havent been bored a day since ! I did have a lot of free time in the begining of my recovery.I went to meeting 2 or 3 x a day and spent alot of time here at SR trying to help myself and others.To tell you the truth it was a relief to me to just sit and do nothing.I was sick and tired.I also did out patient treatment which helped me get into a routine.I have since made alot of new friends who are anything but boring !
Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

It feels that way right now, but your still trying to settle in to the sober way of life which is difficult the first few weeks. Enjoy it now cause if you stick with it, your going to get so busy you'll have very little time to worry about being bored. You just have to find new avenues to keep busy, pursue differnt interests, it get's better hang in there!.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My life is far from boring.Today,I have more of a life than I ever had.It does get better.But you cant expect it to happen over night.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Hi,

It's me again. Check your PM. And call me tomorrow day. We can play to grab dinner before a meeting, get coffee after. Whatever. Make it through this weekend, and soon you will realize there is plenty to do out in the world besides drink and drug. I promise!

Call me
Old 04-15-2005, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

April,

It does get better. I read once about the boring and "flat" feeling people get when starting sobriety -- it said, "After living life on the edge for so long, the real world seems so boring." And it is by comparison, but life on the edge is deadly. I'm just starting again, too, and it helps me to hang out with friends I am making in recovery. Also, I am calling my sponsor and he is helping me a lot. Keep up those connections!

ChrisMan
Old 04-16-2005, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

april

check out some of the past posts by folk here w/ multiple years-
like many of them, i have pretty much forgotten how to be bored- just took some recovery time to get a grip on how many choices i really have in my life.

now i understand that using was just an insidious way to fool myself into believing i was 'really' doing something!!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

April,

It can be so much FUN to be a non-drinker! Focus on the positives and call up some of your NON-drinking friends and go celebrate your new found sobriety.

They should only honor your new choices! If they dont, go get new friends then. Because if they dont support your new choices, then they're probablly not real friends anyway. Make since?

Sobriety can be so exciting and unpredictable. That's the fun part of being sober! Drinking cant. It's boring actually. And predictable.

My opinion only though. *wink*

SN
Old 04-16-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi April! I have recently had the exact same feelings as you. In fact, if you search, you'll see I've posted similiar questions about what sober people do for fun.

Somewhere between those posts (a few weeks ago) and now, I have come to terms with my sobriety (2 months) and have started to allow myself to have fun. I think I knew all along what sober things there were to do, what things I liked to do, etc, ....but I was just feeling sorry for myself. Poor me, if I can't drink, I can't have any fun.

That's not true, and you will realize it as continue to stay sober and go to AA. Hang in there! Sober people (in AA) are freakin' crazy...they're always cracking me up in my meetings and afterwards! You just have to embrace it.

Renee
Old 04-17-2005, 12:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ups_n_downs

I've been sober for exactly 6 days. Instead of drinking, I've been renting movies. I also think to myself "God, this is boring". Then I think about the drinking. A week ago I was sitting around trying figuring out where to buy the booze; how much I should buy; what kind I should buy. Every day it was the same thing. Now THAT is boring. At least I can get a different movie every night.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

From what I can remember, laying in bed in a drunken state or passed out, for days on end, is pretty boring.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

April, I was reading my devotionals early this morning and came across this -- it made me think of you:

"Sometimes we're out of ideas. We think and think but nothing comes. We don't know what's next. It feels like we're at a dead end. But we're not. That void, that dreaded blank spot is really a glorious magical place.

Sometimes we have to run out of our ideas before we can open to any new ones. The reason we can't see any further is because our ideas are limited by the past, by past experiences, by what life has been like before. Our future doesn't have to be limited by our past. Life knows that. Now we can learn it too. We're not at a dead end. We've reached a new beginning.

Now is a time of magic. Let the universe take your hand and show you things you have never seen before. Now, at last, you're open and vulnerable enough to begin. Celebrate the magic, the mystery of the unknown. Clelbrate the miracles that will certainly come."
--By Melody Beattie

Best wishes to you!! Kathy