What are the best anti-depressant pills?

Old 04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are the best anti-depressant pills?

I am thinking of going to the doctor to ask for an anti-depressant and was wondering if anyone would share what works for you with the least amount of side-effects?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

HI-I am on Wellbutrin XL...it has the least amount of side effects and NO weight gain....the other anti-d's have that issue. Paxil, etc....I gained weight on them and then lost it later.....wish you well on your Dr's visit..let us know what happens......Kahlia
Old 04-15-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I've heard that there are many factors involved, including body chemistry, dietary habits, and so on. It would be best to consult a doctor or psychiatrist...

I wish you well!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ACOA in Maine

Hi Gal, I just spent the better part of two years on Lexapro and I am weaning myself off of them as we speak. I did't really notice any improvement being on it but it had plenty of side effects, ie, erection difficulties, lack of drive, etc. Once I started weaning myself off I felt lighter and not as troubled. I would say they did't do a thing for me. Again consult your doctor and are you in counseling of some sort? The two need to be done together for full effectiveness. Also exercise of sorts, a walk if anything, Bob, Maine
Old 04-18-2005, 12:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

hi, i've suffered from depression in my life and for 4 years was on various medications including ZOLOFT, EFEXOR, EFEXOR-XR, LITHIUM, MIRTAZAPINE AND CIPRAMIL to name a few

now before i go into the side-effects i would like to say that pills alone are not the answer. without supportive counselling, psychiatry or some sort of interaction with a doctor or professional, i think taking the pills can be quite dangerous. anti-depressants obviously distort 'reality' and for me i felt many side effects such as lack or no existence of a sex drive, (a real surprise when coming off them after years of feelin likie porridge) but after coming off i realised how much of a cloud id been lost in when on them. i lost the intensity of life, no longer tasted full flavour or saw the brightest colour. i went on the anti-depressants with my psychiatrist whe i was sucidal, and felt alone, sad and angry. it wasnt until 3/1/2 years later that i found alanon, i find talking about how i feel gives me validation and then sharing that with a TRUSTED professional gave me a sort of plan of action on how to change my life and get out of the misery zone and how much i did want happiness. alanon inspires me and breaks down isolation.

i would only ever recommend pills as a last resort but for Me i think i just wanted something to numb the pain despite that i had to face it one day at a time. I believe that mental illness is mre of a scarring in my inner tapestry that has to be healed.

also, each drug has different effects for people. if you do still decide to take anti-depressants some may not do anything, some may make you worse...when i was onl Lithium my body had a reaction of where i felt very very irritable and my body began to shake,,,my body was shutting down so death could have resulted if i didnt stop. ALWAYS mentin all feelings to a professional no matter how trivial because you arent worth damaging, your worth saving and living happy joyous and free!

also i didnt take seriously enough that if im on a medicated drug its even more imperative that i pay close attention to alcohol use and NOT use any other drugs.
If i feel down today, after accepting that life is ups and downs i see if ive eaten slept and exercised well lately.

hope you find your bliss
toby
Old 05-01-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been on Zoloft for about a year. I went to the doc on Friday because I was wondering if maybe My weight gain (25lbs in one year!!!!) was the cause of it. She changed me to Lexapro. I have only taken 2, so I don't know what the outcome of that will be. I know with the Zoloft, it was a life saver to me! I didn't have that "down in the hole" feeling! It never occured to me that the zoloft may be causing my weight gain. I don't know if that is the reason, but I will soon find out! Talk to your doctor. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
and that is all that matters..

I had been on Zolhoft about 8 years ago, but it was a bit harsh and I didn't like the side affects. I tried St. John's Wort about 6 months ago and it worked great! I only used it for a couple months. It is over the counter. But the quality really depends on the brand. Most people don't have good luck with the brands at the local Wal-marts and such. The best brand and what worked wonderful for me is Perika. Your health food store might carry it or do a search online. I know Amazon.com has it.

Here is a private website including a user forum about St. John's Wort - http://www.sjwinfo.org/

Good luck and "God" luck.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Cool Breeze in Hell

Having been on many different types I just want to give you some advice...
If you do not like how you are feeling on a particular drug that your doctor has chosen or you feel the dose is too high, tell him or her to lower your dose or change your prescription. Not all anti-depressants are for everyone and not everyone needs the doses "recommended". It took me quite a while to find something that worked for me. I did feel like a guinea pig in the process sometimes but it paid off in the end. I'm one of those people who respond on lower doses. I have had additional drugs recommended to me and have chosen not to take them. You are in charge of your body so please make sure to pay attention to how you're feeling and reacting. Good luck
Old 05-19-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ditto on what nocellphone posted....*smile*