Counseling or Al Anon??

Old 04-06-2005, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counseling or Al Anon??

I talked to my GP today. I have been very stressed and he is treating me for high blood pressure. Anyway told him about AH. He seems to think that going for counseling first would be a better option..... then Al Anon. He recommended interactive counseling services for those who want guidance and advice that's private, affordable, and most of all, helps you through challenging times. These services are used as a source of personal growth through problem recognition and resolution. GP says that when I have done counseling then Al Anon will be more valuable.
Any thoughts on this? Advise is appreciated. Trying to look at this from all opinions.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll be going to my 4th counselling session tomorrow. I've found it VERY worthwhile, it's individual and lets me feel utterly in control of the process itself.

Before my first session I decided what I wanted to get out of it. My primary goal was to find an emotional balance so that things could happen around me without me feeling swept away. We've spent plenty of time looking at childhood/adult coping mechanisms and as part of that the counsellor has been sharing with me some of the skills they use to keep their feet while hearing about awful situations other people are in.

One thing that meant so much to me was to have they way I deal with things validated - I'm not saying it was without any criticism but on the whole it left me feeling more confident.

I don't get on as well in groups as I do one to one so that's probably made a big difference as well. I'm a lousy politician and easily get taken the wrong way. I really rely on people getting to know me over time and getting the picture of actions rather than just first impressions - one to one makes that easier for me.

It's actually helped so much that I was thinking of switching topics for my next session to talk about my worklife - which is a mess!!

All of the above referes to counselling not specifically around alcoholism - it's a mainstream thing through work. I also went for one counselling session through APAS (Alcohol Problem Advisory Service), it's free and open to family of alcoholics. Again I found it very positive but as I was having regular counselling at work we both decided I would need it on a regular basis. I know it's there now, I've made the first contact and if stuff gets rough I'll be heading back fast enough to melt my trainers!!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bluester - i started with al-anon and then added counseling. i guess it just depends on the person. i find both have merit and i think one enhances the other and vice versa. i get something different out of al-anon (fellowship, etc.) along with the tools to help me in my recovery. maybe try a couple meetings while you are doing the counseling and if it doesn't seem like a fit for you at this time, then wait a while.

hugs- chris
Old 04-06-2005, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

My experience was a lot like CW's. I started attending Al-Anon meetings because I was pretty desperate, and they had a meeting that night. I made an appointment with counselling for a week later. Both worked well together. I went to counselling for about 8 months, and still attend Al-Anon. Whatever step you take toward helping yourself is the right one. It's when we sit back and don't try anything that we don't get better. Good luck, and let us know what happens. Hugs, Magic
Old 04-06-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think both are very valuable..I've actually done three types of support: AlAnon, Counselling (since I was 18) and Life Coaching..All three opened my eyes to areas I could improve myself...

I would probably recommend both..just because AlAnon will give you daily support and a network of others going through similar stuff which is invaluable..Being able to talk to people who understand what you are going through (besides this bulletin board..) My friends (not in Alanon) got so tired of hearing about my problems with my ex..it caused strain on my relationships..

Just because you attend AlAnon meetings doesn't mean you have to immediately start working on the 12 steps..