Notices

very sad news

Old 04-05-2005, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

very sad news

I have had such a bad time lately.
My best friend & workmate died on the weekend. He was an alcoholic & was suppose to go onto combination therapy. I thought he had already started the treatment & read up on Hep C & Cirrohsis of the Liver etc… I was one of his support people. I find out he never started the therapy but he was being treated for substance abuse first. I believed he was sober for at least 6 months, but I think the withdrawlal treatment & substances he was using contributed to his death. I understand that it takes time to die from liver disease & he most likely overdosed.

“He travelled the world & had such a quality of life, he died in his sleep.”
That is what the people at work are to believe & will probably make up gossip. They thought he was a hopeless drunk & struggled to stay sober. But for those who truly understand the addict/alcoholic’s life it was not ‘sugar coated’…but he did share with me the grateful things like a roof over his head, food in the cupboard, his daughter & son’s love.

I am so grateful I have 2 great friends who came over who I could talk to & they both understand from a 12 Step point of view. They helped me understand that it is not my responsiblility & that my friend has his own life & choices. No matter how close I felt to this person he still had only one connection & that was with the God of his understanding. I was feeling resentful when I found out he lied about the therapy. But It is also not my business, it was his recovery. I rang my A (whom I’d only told less than a week ago that he could find me when he finds recovery) as he had met this friend & also has Hep C & continues to drink & use. He is still in denial & I found myself getting very straight with him told him I will not agrue with him & that he will not convince me that there is another way.

From the words of both these addicts “You don’t abuse yourself for so many years drugging & boozing & come off scott free ! Your body just can’t take it & as a result have Hep C, liver damage, mental problems etc…..” also said to me was the belief in the 12 Step programes that saved their life many a time, the program, the people, when they couldn’t find hope a God & others were there time & time again.

He didn’t give me anything material to hold onto except 3 AA Reviver Newsletters.
But what he did give me faith & hope when he introduced me to AA (83 days now)
& I truly beleive that “it works if you are willing to work it”.

Love & prayers to all
T(focusontoday)
Old 04-05-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paige

Hi T,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, and I understand how difficult it can be. Stay strong. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us up to date on how you are doing. You will find much support here! Paige
Old 04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

T

HEART FELT SYMPATHY

my brother is in the same situation.
your post helped me reconnect to the respect [and yes, fear] that i have for my disease
congrats on your 83 days

mackat
Old 04-06-2005, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear T

Am sending my prayers and sympathy to you today. Your loss and your share was extremely important for me to hear on a very personal level. I was diagnosed with Hep C last year and went on with my drinking until 38 days ago. I am doing everything I can now to dedicate the rest of my life to being sober and well. As soon as I feel a little stronger, I will be doing all of the lab tests to face whatever damage has been done and to take whatever steps I can to treat it.

Thanks again, and conratulations on your 83 days.

Peace and strength,
Lance
Old 04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

My condolences on your loss. *hugs*