drinking buddies

Old 04-03-2005, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking buddies

hello everyone,

well i finally got to the bottom of my part in the big Easter day blowup. i just cant handle the "drinking buddies". its one thing to try and combat the feelings that alcoholism builds up within a person. its another whole fight to realize that if he chose not to get a recovery program, my future meant having the drinking buddies as part... and i am not willing to pay that price.

what is it with drinking buddies? why doesnt the A realize that they are just using him and that they are a circle of codependency and sickness? i knew when his drinking buddy came back from Florida for the winter that my nerves got on edge. and when he went out on Easter and got bombed with him rather than talk to me, i was in way way over my head.

drinking buddies suck. they really do. all they do is use and abuse the A for their own sickness. anyone else ever walked away because of a drinking buddy? i find i had enough energy to combat our relationship and the problems it had, but found myself unwilling to enlarge my circle of friends to include the "buddies"
Old 04-03-2005, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Qietsins,

Your A is going to realize what he is going to realize it when it is his time...

its another whole fight to realize that if he chose not to get a recovery program, my future meant having the drinking buddies as part... and i am not willing to pay that price.
Do you have a plan? Since he is not going to be changing any time soon what do you think you might do in the future to keep peace inside yourself??

Hugs,
JT
Old 04-03-2005, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i am walking away. been down this road with him for three years, his sobriety was shaky at best when he started trying this winter. i am not up to a summer of cook outs and throw ups.

he is spending more energy on trying to figure out a way to be a "social drinker" than he would have to spend getting a program. its his choice. i choose not to be with someone without a recovery program. i wont watch him die. he came too close last summer. i wont go thru that again.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

(((Quietsins)))

There are so many different types of drinkers. I left one, then married another. I am more happy and fulfilled in this marriage than the first because of the changes in me and the morals of the man, in spite of the drinking. But if that changed I know I have options.

Hugs,
JT
Old 04-03-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a problem with the drinking buddies too. My exABF had these 2 friends that so clearly used my ex for their own gain and at times my ex would admit he knows they are using him but other times it was all just in my head. I gave up on that argument a long time ago - when he would bring up how they use him I would just nod and try to change the subject. The worst part was most of our social activites centered around what they were doing - if they were cooking out of course we had to be there - primarily because my ex brought all the meat (he owns a meat market) and of course I would always bring some sort of side dish or dessert and then my ex would chip in on the cost of the beer. Last spring when we were sitting down in his friends garage for one of the cookouts I looked around at those people and I thought to myself what the hell am I doing. I told my ex after that night I really didn't want to spend another summer hanging out with his friends every weekend. He really couldn't understand why. Could it have been that I was the third wheel and the only female????
So yes, I do understand your situation and while the addiction was the main reason I left my ex the friends were definately a contributing factor. I think if my ex had not been so into hanging out with them maybe he would not have been so into drinking and the drugs. I know we are all responsible for our own actions but my ex is definately a follower and for some reason he really looks up to these two friends so whatever they do he will do. Sad isn't it?? Especially for a 40 year old man.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Last spring when we were sitting down in his friends garage for one of the cookouts I looked around at those people and I thought to myself what the hell am I doing.
Ahhh the warm weather is approching and time to look forward to another season of fun. I can't freaking wait!!!
But really I know what you guys mean it's the same here. We moved about 45 minutes away from his first set of DB's then I find out he has two more that are only 5 minutes away. Can't they just find friends to play golf with. (sober of course)
hugs to ya'll
Old 04-03-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So yes, I do understand your situation and while the addiction was the main reason I left my ex the friends were definately a contributing factor. I think if my ex had not been so into hanging out with them maybe he would not have been so into drinking and the drugs. I know we are all responsible for our own actions but my ex is definately a follower and for some reason he really looks up to these two friends so whatever they do he will do. Sad isn't it?? Especially for a 40 year old man.
geez, did I WRITE THAT?????????
Last spring when we were sitting down in his friends garage for one of the cookouts I looked around at those people and I thought to myself what the hell am I doing.
................AND THAT?????????????????????????
Old 04-03-2005, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

About 10 years ago, I was in a similar position. We had hung out with a fairly group of "friends" that all partied. I was the ONLY one that didn't. I remember feeling like you - I looked around at all those people and knew that I didn't want to have the life they did, didn't really want to be a part of that scene anymore, and things changed from then on. I stopped hanging around with all of them - unfortunately, AH didn't. After an incident with one of them, AH finally stopped hanging around with them, BUT he only went on to find others to drink with.
There was another time before then that we had moved an hour away. I was relieved. However, I found us coming back every weekend so that AH could party with his friends. And through the week, well, he simply drank by himself if he didn't have any new freinds to drink with.
I also remember a phase I went through where I despised his drinking buddies. But it was short-lived because I soon realized that it wasn't his friends fault that AH chose to do what he did. They may have had some influence on him or whatnot, but in the end, it was still AH's choice and actions that hurt me. I was married to him, not his friends.
There is a "code of ethics" if you will among drinking buddies as well. You know, like when you call a bar and they all tell you that your AH isn't there when he is. It's not so much a matter of his friends just using your AH (IMO) but a matter of them all using each other. They feel safe within their own group and when they are all doing the same thing, they feel accepted etc. (Again, just my opinion)
I'm sorry that your AH is hurting you and making you feel third-best (after the alcohol and his friends). I remember well how that hurts.
(Interesting side note for you all.....my AH did take up golf a few years ago. Sometimes he drank while golfing, sometimes he didn't. Interesting enough, he was always gone golfing then so I still never saw him.) I guess for me, I wanted him to want to spend time with me. I wanted him to have a life with me. So whether it was drinking, his golfing, his hobby or whatever that took him away - I always felt low on the totem pole of his priorities and wants.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

It's not so much a matter of his friends just using your AH (IMO) but a matter of them all using each other. They feel safe within their own group and when they are all doing the same thing, they feel accepted etc
I am in complete agreement with this...they dont feel like tis wrong, because others are doing it...very childish, but safe for them.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ever seen the movie Bull Durham? theres a line in there when Nuke goes off to the major leagues. it said, dont worry about him, hes not blessed with self awareness. he will be ok.

seems to be what drinking buddies provide. an aura of denying self awareness.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

guess where mine asked me to go today next weekend??? one of those bbqs!!!!!!!
yes,i said no.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The drinking buddy...

I hate that man. And I hate who my husband becomes when he has been with him.

And I rarely say HATE.

My husband has drank 4 times in the past 4 months and ONLY in the company of this man. My husband knows he is dangerous and yet can not stay away.

And what sickens me even more is that this man's wife HATES my husband, as he is the "drinking buddy"

It is sick all around.

Jenny
Old 04-03-2005, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my ah knows every drunk in town and they are all his best friend. I am the witch of course as i have run most of them off at one time or another. Usually saying something crappy like, "can't you get a life?". HOweva, we'll see how this summer goes as my first detachment exercise he said he was going up to the bar after we came home from a party and i said "see ya!" and next thing i know there is a knock at the front door and it is him- he didn't go. hmmm. he hasn't been running up there perpetually ever since. hmmm. guess maybe he thinks something is up as i am not reacting the way i used to. hmmmmmmm.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't forget that your A partners are the drinking buddies of their friends. Maybe their wives are saying that same things about your partners. It can be a cosy little clique where each one validates the others for what we would call unacceptable behaviour. The clique provides a means for each of them to say "I'm doing nothing wrong - Joe Bloggs does it too".
Old 04-04-2005, 10:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Every time you get rid of 1 drinking buddy, there is always one behind the next...It doesn't seem to end......I wish we could move far, far away from them
Old 04-04-2005, 10:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And don't forget the female drinking buddies as well! they always had a special place in my heart..

My ex A did always say I could meet them though..never took him up on that offer..
Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

drinking buddies enlarge the circle of alcoholics in your every day life. i mean... come on.. its almost impossible to deal with one. and that one you love. but to deal with the fake, plastered on smile of someone i dislike.. now that is too much to bear.

as for the women drinking buddies.... now there is a whole nother situation i dont even want to get into. lol
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just LOVE this topic!

My ex and I have been apart for 3 months. He threw me out 3 times and emotionally abused me for years. The clincher is that he has only 2 drinking buddies....MY sister and her husband. I think it is a lovely arrangement.

There are NO boundaries for an alcoholic. As a matter of fact, if they can get a reaction....all the better.

My sister is an alcoholic AND she has gone out of her way to become close friends with ANYONE that I was EVER involved with. After my ex-husband abandoned myself and our 6-yr. old daughter, my loving, faithful sister invited him to her house for supper. She even brought my ex to our mother's 70th birthday party.

Always looking for a reaction. Always wanting to hurt me OR should I say bring me down. MISERY LOVES COMPANY!

But I know, as I'm sure some of you do too, once the alcohol is gone, so is the so-called friendship. They are NOT friends, they are simply drinking buddies. We have to learn to ignore it, but for me that is a little more difficult. I'm sure that my sister will be bringing my ex to all the family get-togethers. Like I said, there are NO boundaries.
Only head games.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace
As a matter of fact, if they can get a reaction....all the better.
Negative or positive as long as they get some sort of response out of you..

But I turned my tables on my ex when I talked to him 2 weeks ago and he told me about his new "love"..

Absolutely NO REACTION from me..in fact I just wished him the best and told him I was glad he was happy.

Of course before I talked to him (on the phone) I wrote in big block letters on a piece of paper: THIS IS A SICK MAN!! BE COMPASSIONATE!

I kept looking at that paper the whole time I talked to him..it must have worked..I was so proud of myself..

of course the minute I got off the phone, I lost it..but that's ok..he didn't see or hear me doing it..

The other favorite of mine was telling him: "you might be right"..see I neither agree or disagree with him..