He wants help and now we can't find it?

Old 03-29-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation He wants help and now we can't find it?

My son put himself into the local hospital yesterday and asked for help with his diabetes and his alcohol problem .. he asked them to help him detox ... they kept him less than a day and discharged him with pheynobarbital and warned him not to take it with alcohol??? they didn't even let him stay long enough to detox ?? They sent him to a local outpatient mental health facility and told him to put himself on a list for admission to a facility and that it might take 6 months or more to get in?
First of all isn't it a bit irresponsible of the hospital to give pheno to an alcoholic with no monitoring??
While i realize there are thousands out there needing help it is getting harder and harder to find ... when my son told me he was having trouble finding a place to get help i did NOT believe him ... butttt after spending the whole day trying to find someone to help us i now know what he was talking about. We have no money or insurance so it's hard and while i realize these facilities need money to function it is usually the indigent who need help the most..
I am so frustrated and at the end of my rope ..
ps we are in a small town in western north carolina.

Last edited by Eden45; 03-29-2005 at 12:36 PM. Reason: a ps
Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((eden45))) - i'm sorry for your pain. i can't offer any advice but yes, it does seem very unfair. i am truly grateful for the health insurance i have and my husband has!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a similar problem several years ago when AH tried to get himself clean... we even had health insurance that "supposedly" covered rehab - after the mental health evaluation only gave us authorization for a 2 day detox.. WTF do you have to be court ordered to get help??!! The experience ended up discouraging him to the point that he just chose to continue to drink....

Sorry I don't have any advice but I do feel your pain!
Christine
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((Eden))))

Your local AA could help you find out more about detox places and also they could probably help your son in other ways too. I hope you will check them out I am sure they have a local listing in your phone book....
Old 03-29-2005, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Salvation Army

Please Try the Salvation Army

Good Luck !

Keegandsad
Old 03-29-2005, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions .. it helps to know you are all out there and the salvation army might be a good option right now i will suggest that to him.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Eden45,
I just went through the same thing, and what ened up happening was a very drastic cry for help, my friend/man slit both his wrists, and kept on cutting.
I want to help as much as I can before anything goes wrong for you.
I don't really know about North Carolina, but if he's on any kind of probation I belive he can get a county paid bed at a rehab center, some rehab centers also have a slidding fee scale, there are also some christian based places like victory outreach that charge a small amout at frist, but will let you work it off if you are tottaly broke.
I belive that Victory Outreach is international so there should be one pretty close to you. If you look up rehabs on Sober.com you can get a list of rehabs in your area, and what I did was call around and told them my situation, then if they couldn't help me some would give me a number for someone who might be able to.
I wish you and your son the best of luck,
Valkeryheart

P.S. My friend is okay and taking antabuse, I just wish it didn't take that to get him help.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Eden...

Your situation sounds frustrating. Here's a link to a list of treatment centers in your state. You might call some of them and inquire about publicly-funded treatment centers that they might know of.

I hope this helps.

Peace...