Notices

Waking Up

Old 03-29-2005, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking Up

Please tell me there is life after addiction. I'm 28 years old. I'm married and after this past weekend I've come to terms with the fact that I need help and I can't do it alone. I'm taking the first steps tonight and going to an AA meeting.

I'm also coming to this site for help. I'd appreciate any words of encouragement right now.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

At 28 you're just starting to live. Be thankful, so many of us fight this for years. You stop now, you have a lot of good 24 hours ahead of you

Chris
Old 03-29-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hello, and welcome!!!

I'm 27, and I finally came to the realiztion of what I was doing a couple years ago. I can definitely tell you that there IS life after addiction. An awesome one too! I can definitely relate to how you're feeling right now, but I want to tell you that there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel. The whole age thing with me was a big struggle (after all it seemed like the only thing my friends and I did was drink), and the first few days may seem like an eternity, but if you work through it I guarantee that you'll feel so much better!
Good job on deciding to go to an AA meeting!!! There are a lot of really helpful and understanding people there as well as on here.

Danielle
Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Welcome to SR. I do believe there is life after addiction and that's why I haven't given up. Way to go on your decision to go to a meeting. It's a great place to be for support.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, TLN! Welcome!

Yes, there is life after addiction. Congratulations on deciding to go to your first meeting. I have found both meetings and this forum to be wonderful helps to recovery. You are right, it can't be done alone. I sure couldn't do it alone. And what it great is that you don't have to do it alone. You are not alone. Welcome!

ChrisMan
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paige

Hi there,

I was fighting to stay sober by myself for 10 days before I went to a meeting! After I went to the first one...I had no idea why in the WORLD I waited so long. Now I go as often as I can get to one. Congrats on recognizing that you want to get help and go to a meeting. You will not regret it. I will pray for you, and I wish you the best in your sobriety. Keep coming back to SR, I feel like this site is an all-day AA meeting! The people I have met here are wonderful. Keep us posted....

Paige
Old 03-29-2005, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm so glad you're here! I am guessing you had a real doozy of a weekend. Just remember that today is a new day and anything you've done in the past can and will be put behind you. You will find that recovery is really incredible...although equally as difficult at first. But it is WORTH IT. YOU are worth it!!! I'm 25, married and have put my husband through he!! and back with some of my drunken stupors. Being sober is the best thing I could do for myself and for my marriage...you will find that to be true too!

Please keep writing to us and let us know how you're doing! You're not alone!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Now that you have recognized you have a problem.....you have the opportunity to change. If you REALLY want to do this, you are going to have to throw yourself into it. Getting sober isn't a 'sometimes' thing. I think one of the BEST things you can do is learn as much as you can about your problem. Education yourself, and educate your family.

I am glad you found us. I am sure people can suggest some good places to start poking around.

-pedagogue
Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome TLN!

What a great step you are taking. You have so many wonderful years ahead of you. I can be pretty safe saying that most of us wish we had discovered our sobriety much earlier in our lives.

All the best to you.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Really thanks so much to everyone who posted. Last night and this board made me realize that I'm not alone and I'm not crazy. My first AA meeting was good. It was weird and scary at first. I was of course the only newcomer But that was nice actually because for the first time in a while I received positive attention. The stories where also great to hear. People from all over experiencing the same chaos and heartbrake from addiction. Well I'm going to another meeting today over my lunch hour. Last night the women in my meeting suggested I go everyday for 90 days. Which was a good suggestion because I'm going to need it. Transitioning away from a life built around alcohol is going to be really hard. Thanks again to everyone on this board.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paige

Way to go TLN!!!

I am so proud of you for getting to a meeting!! The very first time I went to an AA meeting I was terrified. Then this brilliant man at the meeting said to me, "The hardest part is getting to the first meeting...now you have been strong enough to do that...you will NEVER have to go to your FIRST meeting again!!" Very wonderful words of wisdom. And, words I keep close to my heart, as they give me strength. The journey ahead may be difficult, but it is worth it! Keep up the good work. You are on your way....

Paige
Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paige

TLN,

By the way, thank you for sharing about your meeting last night that it was "the first time in a while I received positive attention." Thank you for reminding me how wonderful the people are at AA meetings. At a meeting, everyone understands how you feel, because they have been there. When you are at your bottom, it is wonderful to feel the strength and support from people at a meeting...they will guide you to the positive. Oh, and when you go back...you may even feel that way again !!

Best Wishes,
Paige
Old 03-30-2005, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Awesome!!!

Glad to hear that your first meeting went well. 90 in 90 is a very good suggestion, especially for those that are totally new to AA and a sober lifestyle.
My suggestion is to really listen and take to heart the adivce given to you by those with the most sobriety. They were where you are right now and they're obviously doing something right.

Good job!!!

Danielle
Old 03-30-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

TLN
That's so great that you did what you said you were going to do!!! I remember putting off so many first time AA meetings! AWESOME! Well done!! 90 in 90 is a BRILLIANT idea too! As Renee said too, getting sober, through AA, (you will learn as many of us did that just stopping drinking is not enough - often it can be worse!!!) (Dry Drunk) is just a wonderful thing to do for YOU and for your marriage! I'm 31 and had also made my husband SO unhappy - I could no longer pretend I was just a 'party animal' ha ha - I didn't even like going out anymore, just liked drinking at home - ALOT. Used to be 1 bottle of wine, and soon it was two and then it was 3 blackouts a week. Feeling dreadful for the other 4 days. AWFUL!!! HOw could I have lived like that!!! Thank God there is AA - and this board.
Welcome again!!!
Love
Cathy31
x
PS Patsyd1 wrote a GREAT post on a thread on Newcomers Board called would appreciate some input on my story by Tommy79 - all about identifying with people at meetings - especially if you have been lucky enough to not hit 'rock bottom' - give it a read.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TLN! Welcome to the most loving "family" you'll ever know! congratulations on your decision to stop the madness!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

TLN welcome to SoberRecovery.Im glad to hear you already hit your first AA meeting.Thats great,and it sounds like your also willing to listen and follow the suggestions.90 in 90 is a good one.Try and get a sponsor ASAP to help guide you through the steps.It can even be a temp sponsor until you find the right one.Just look for someone who is working and living the program,has a few years clean and sober and preferably someone who has thoroughly worked all 12 Steps.Pick someone out and ask them either before or after a meeting.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi TLN,

Great job in deciding to do something and try that first meeting. You may start finding the peace and happiness you are seeking in AA. I certainly have begun to experience it and I do attribute it to AA and my sponsor. Good going and let us know how that first meeting went.

Jup.