Proud of me dogs!! Off topic.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Proud of me dogs!! Off topic.

We were at my Mum and Dads and my Dad wanted to show us some piccies on his comp but didn't want our dogs in the study.

My Mum went to shut them in the living room - but I know they're little monkeys when 'trapped', so I told them to lie down and stay but left the doors open. We got carried away with the piccies and ended up in the study for about 1/2 an hour, when we came back in the living room boths dogs were just laid exactly where they'd been told to stay!!

My Mum was gobsmacked (actually so was I - normally they'll try to sneak at least once!!).

The dogs got mega fussed - I reckon they grew about an inch a piece with so much praise!!

Okay - do I get an award for the silliest, most pointless Easter posting?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And you should be proud! Dogs and children...taught to behave they are THE BEST...always misbehaving-The MOST annoying!

Now...am I correct in my translations...

gobsmacked
= Amazed?

mega fussed
= A great deal of praise?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Proves you know how to train your dogs properly. Want to consider training alcoholics? If the dogs listen, maybe...

Great Easter Post.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I used to teach a new groom riding, (actually how to school a horse - they don't get paid for nothing) I used to teach all the basics but I'd tell them two rules that matter more than the basics:

1. Don't expect perfection - unless you think you've mastered it first.

2. Whatever you reward you get more of and of all behaviours 'effort' is the most valuable. When a horse tries, when it gives you effort don't ever forget to reward it.

I do the same with the dogs, and funnily enough I found it worked a treat with teenagers too. I definately apply rule number one with all people - rule number two I wish I could say I always apply but I often forget.

With animals it saves a whole load of frustration, battles, feeling defeated etc, but most importantly it makes training fun for both human and animal - both enjoy it so both want to do it.

It doesn't change their nature though, or make them perfect.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Walkingtheline -

Flamin' ada you got talent for translation!! Yup - you got it!