Notices

On the road back home

Old 03-27-2005, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Post On the road back home

Don't really know where to start with this, I guess for beginners I'm a alcoholic or I wouldnt be here. I was born to be a drinker like so many of the men in my family were. I've been strugling with this thing for some time now. For a few months I was able too keep it under control, only drinking once a month but lately I've been sliping back into the void as I call it. I keep trying to tell myself that now I need to break for a good month but it's almost as if I hear some little devil laughing in my head saying yeah right, see you in 2 days. I'm not literaly hearing that mind you, I havent lost that much of my mind yet

Anyway it seems to me I have two options, I can either keep drinking or I can quit all toghether. This controling ******** doesnt seem to work. But it's tuff I hate drinking but at the same time I love it. I know when I pick up that drink it's going to give me that same good feeling that it always have done, but on the negative side I hate hangovers, blacking out, losing control, etc.

So that's me and that's my story. I never considerd my self a quitter, but in this case I dont think it's such a bad thing.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bard,

I'm ChrisMan, a recovering addict.

"Half measures availed us nothing" I think it says in the Big Book. It is very true.

I found that really desiring sobriety made a big difference. Also, what has been helping me, is to live sobriety as a positive reality. That is, living sobriety as more than just NOT using a drug of choice, but actively helping others, doing readings, going to meetings, and doing some healthy recreational things, too, all as part of sobriety. Negative sobriety got me nowhere.

I have found so much support here. This is an awesome place and I hope you find it to be such.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Bard, and welcome to SoberRecovery.

I managed to stop drinking when the cost finally outweighed the profit, so to speak.
Until then though, I played cat and mouse with myself. The resolve and determination of those mornings when I wanted to change my skin usually disolved a few days later, and the I'll keep a lid on it this time voice would start again.

It's a good Sunday to be sober.
I don't feel like peeling my skin off.
I hope it's the same for you.
Glad you're here.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doug

Welcome to SR Bard.

I'm glad you made the decision, and I'm glad you joined us.
Wander around the forums, make some friends, and make your self at home.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!!

If you want to find a wonderful sober way of living..

I found AA was the key for me.

Do stick around SR and ask questions...we are here to help.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Bard,welcome to SoberRecovery.Stick around,this is a great place with plenty of support.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome Bard, i never knew i could live sober and clean, but i'm doing it, one day at a time, like so many here at SR. I have never been happier, i' don't wake up sick, i remember what i did yesterday, i don't hurt myself and the ones i love, and i can look at myself in the mirror, and smile. i'm 9 months in recovery. I never thought i'd QUIT.
But today i choose not to pick up that 1st, i go to AA, it has saved my life, in more ways than one. I had to accept my alcoholism, i will always be one. Once i did that, i've been sticking with the winners and living in the solution, rather than the problem.
And SR has been a lifeline too, again welcome, hope you stick around!!!