Notices

HELP PLEASE-Alcoholism and Adderall bad combo?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy HELP PLEASE-Alcoholism and Adderall bad combo?

Hi all,

So after 7 months of not drinking and working with various doctors, my psychiatrist has evaluated me as having ADHD and wants to put me on Adderall. I'm very hesitant as I know it can be addictive. I'm torn between that possibility and the knowledge that the drug will help me keep my focus and help with all the other stuff that goes along with ADHD.

Does anyone have experience with this drug? I currently take Wellbutrin and Trazodone and have never abused the dosages on these, and am confident that I wouldn't abuse any other prescription drug (this was never my MO.....what I abused was alcohol purely. Ha. "purely". Anyway...) Can prescribed amounts of Adderall be addictive? I've been reading up on it and am very frightened of the possible repercussions.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a tough one. i am a recovering meth addict so clearly for me that drug is a no go. My husband is on it and he only abused depressants, alcohol and pot and the adderall is helping him a great deal. he has no desire to abuse it. However, it is a highly addictive drug but I don't think it crosses his mind because he doesn't look for that kind of high. Actually he says where most people may find it speedy, it just makes him feel how he should normally feel.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Stephanie :-). I appreciate your reply!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi! well, i have never tried adderall before but i WAS addicted to dexedrine, which is also used for adhd. i've been told that if you actually have adhd and need it then it doesn't cause a high. my roommate actually needs it and tells me he doesn't feel happier or get sped up, he's just more focused and organized. i on the other hand get this false sense of happiness/confidence..very much like cocaine. still, i guess it depends on the types of highs you are into. i am an alcoholic (just recently discovered) as well as a speed addict. i do know that the dex was HIGHLY addictive and you have to increase the dosage each week to get the same high. not good. but if you do need it then maybe you won't get the same effects. wouldn't hurt to try at a very low dose, i suppose.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey There

I too take adderall for ADD. It helps me immensely in my every day life. That said, there is a dark side to it.

If you manage to stay on the path you're on now with alcohol, I don't foresee a problem. However, if (god forbid) you do go back to drinking while still on adderall, it can be a bad combo. Basically, when your on adderall, you can drink like a rockstar and not get drunk. I don't use it for that purpose anymore, but there were times in college when I popped a few before partying so I could hang all nite long.

Hope this helps

Andy
Old 03-31-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

There are other alternatives besides Adderall. My daughter took Adderall for almost a year, and I took her off of it because of the side-effects. She had developed some compulsive behaviors that really scared me (picking her finger-nails until they bled, grinding her teeth, etc.) Now she is taking Strattera (non-stimulant) and having good results. You might check with your doctor.