methadone and detox

Old 03-19-2005, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

methadone and detox

I have been on oxycontin for about 6 months (20-60mg a day) and I started heroin about a month ago and I am ready to be done with all of this stuff in my life. I have been to Sierra Tuscon for Alcoholism and Benzos. I have been off Alcohol and Benzos for over three years, but it is pretty easy to do when you are doing other things. I know AA,but I think NA would be a good place for me and also a therapist. My problem is the withdraws I have to go through because I don't think I can do it again. I am very afraid of methadone because of the stories I have been told about people coming off of it, but these are people who have been on it for years and high doses. I really don't have a choice about it but I must do something to make the withdraws bareable because I cannot afford the down time. I plan to take 15mg of methadone on day 1, 10 mg on day 2, 5 mg on day 3, and 2.5mg on day 4. That is it. I will not have anymore to take and if I still feel bad then I will just have to suck it up. It's just like having the flu right? Atleast that's what I am going to tell myself over and over again. At that point in time I am going to start my outside treatment for NA and look for a therapist. What do you think?
Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 03-19-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi jimmy! have you spoken to a doctor or a methadone clinic about yr plan? im not a dr., but i think there are some things you need to take into account. first, depending on how mich yr using, 15 mgs of methadone probably won't do anything except prolong yr wds, because it stays in yr system so long. second, im from MI, so maybe it is different in AZ, but it is difficult to find a clinic which will detox you like that here. as i said, using methadone like that may only prolong your withdrawals, it may be easier just to kick cold turkey, did you look into another treatment program? or maybe ask your dr. about catapress, it helps with the worst of the wd's. AA and NA have both been really helpful to me, and i just actually found this site and think you can get a lot of support here, too. Good Luck, Jimmy, i hope everything works out for you!!

xoxo shawn