Steel Magnolias

Old 08-22-2002, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Steel Magnolias

I saw the movie "Steel Magnolias" for about the 50th time last week, and it struck me that this board is chuck full of Steel Magnolias.

We have a variety of characters who come together in one place (their's was the hair salon) where we share with one another all the things that are going on in our lives.

We listen to each other, and offer advice...from different angles and with a variety of suggetions. We make each other laugh, and best of all we learn to laugh at ourselves.

We have welcomed the "new kids on the block" and taken them under our wings to make sure they didn't feel like the stranger in town.

We cheer each other on, and rejoice in even the smallest victory.

We share the joy of the birth of new babies, and line up with our presents and best wishes, and no doubt will be full of advice on how these babies are to be brought up.

We have shared death, mourned together and offered our support as best we could in tragic circumstances.

We have shared the journey to jails, psychiatric wards, shelters and rehabs...and survived the journey together.

We have whacked each other with the skillet, when any one of us was needing a reality check, and hugged each other till our stuffing fell out when hugs were exactly what we needed.

And most of all, we have grown together. Wiser, older, stronger and happier.

So to all the Steel Magnolias here, I just want to say thank you for being the best friends this lady could ever have.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

: ) Anns!
How true, that was and is a great movie.....lets see who can we compare ourselves too in the movie...?
Wheezer? Shelby? etc etc.
I think I am Malin/Wheezer.... : )
Love Kitty
Old 08-22-2002, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I'm the one who said hit weezer at the cemetary. I can't remember her name. I just loved that line.

It is like that here. I just love it.

Did any one see the movie The Burbs?

We remind me of that movie sometimes too. I love that movie.

Hugs,

MG

Old 08-22-2002, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

LOL - Kitty you would be a great Weezer. And MG...you can't just HIT her!!!

I think I'll be the lady you never see...the one who runs the local Detox, where most of the husbands should be.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

anns, AMEN!!!!!!!! We women are so strong even when we don't feel strong.... I believe we are the glue that holds the world together and the older I get, and more I go thru, the more I admire the women all around me! I get so much wisdom and support here that I really don't think I could manage my chaotic life without, and I am so grateful... To update, my A is doing quite well, going to meetings (which he has always said helped him stay sober and feel safe ) and we take it one day at a time. I told him I come here for support because he saw an email from the forum, and at first he seemed offended, like I was sharing something here that was nobody's business, but I knowthat once he thought about it, it really is no different here for me than it is at a meeting for him, am I right?? I told him it had nothing to do with him, he hadn't chased me into recovery, that I was here to learn the tools I need to help me deal with how I live my life. Anyhoo, all is well for the time being and I am continuing to do my best each day, and keep planting one foot in front of the other and do the next right thing for me and mine.....
(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))), Jamy
Old 09-21-2002, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello there Jamy!

I just thought of this reading your post, and I'm gonna try it myself.

Next time the substance abuser in your life gets bent out of shape because you're telling "his" would be secrets, pick up something heavy and hand it to him. Really heavy, like an end table, or a car battery, or a 50 pound rock. Say "Hold this. No, NO! You can't rest it on anything, you just have to stand there and hold it..... what do you mean when can you put it down... you can't put it down, you have to hold it forever. What do you mean? What are you weak? Hey, you're sweating."

Even a person with a lot of strength can't hold a heavy object forever. Either they put it down, or they drop it. Coming to the forum is putting down the heavy object.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

awesome, absolutely awsome Smoke....

anns~ I love Steele Magnolias....

You all are outstanding....
Old 09-21-2002, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks Smoke

I know that I "Lighten the load" every time I come here.

And Jamy, coming here is about YOU and YOUR recovery and if he feels threatened by that, well then he's got a little work to do. Good for you for looking after your needs. And welcome back.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Girls,
And, again, a big THANKS for more wisdom. Smoke, I love your analogy of holding the heavy object, it is perfect and exactly how I feel until I come here!I forgot to add another "heavy" that I was holding, my A's daughter is a crack and heroin addict, sooooooo, it gets "curioser and curioser" (to borrow the words from "Alice in Wonderland").. He is a bull about dealing with her addiction and the sh--t it deals everyone around her and is oh-so-strong with the tough love.... But he does not talk to himself the way he talks to her,LOL....go figure....Well, I just thought I would add that tidbit and see if any of you wonderful human beings have any comment!I love these boards and will keep coming back......... (((((((((((HUGS AND LOVE TO ALL WHO SHARE HERE))))))))))))))))), Jamy
Old 09-23-2002, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a great thread! I love the movie Steel Magnolias! I fact I just rented it this weekend and watched it yesterday with my daughter! And I love the line, "Just hit Weesey, really let her have it!" I laughed until I cried. Ah and who would I be? I guess the Dolly Parton character, just keeping on and holding it all together.
Oh and I LOVE the heavy object analogy, Smoke. I will use that one for sure. Now I just have to think of the best heavy object to use...lets see..the refrigerator? Yes I think that is about right, unless I could get him to pick up the minivan? lol
Old 09-23-2002, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

LMAO !!! Rose. The minivan!!!!!

Old 04-09-2003, 09:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sending this one back up for the new "Steel Magnolias" here.

I love you all and still think that I love that movie because of the strength it shows from women who care. Just like all of you.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks, Anns!

It has been forever since I saw that move, maybe I need to watch it again! With all the superwomen here in mind!

live
Old 04-09-2003, 09:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Being a born and bred southern belle (Atlanta, Ga is where my mama birthed me.... , I'd like to invite all ya'll over this weekend to watch Steel Magnolias. Of course, I'll have the television out on the veranda where I'll be serving lemonade (started to say 'mint juleps' but I thought that might not be the best choice. And besides, I don't have a clue as to how to make them...lol. Well hey, I do good to make a mean glass of diet pepsi!... )

And I won't take no for an answer from any of you steel magnolias here. I want all of my fella magnolias to enjoy swatting the mosquitos right along with me while we share our war stories. Oh oh, and make sure you wear your hooped skirt. (It does wonder for hiding those less than petite hips - uh, not that any of you would have less than petite hips. Just speaking for myself there... ) But darn, sitting in those hooped skirts is the worst! You sit and they fly up in the front and reveal your pantaloons to God and everyone else!!!!!...

I think we've proven that no matter where you live, if you come here and survive, you ARE a steel magnolia. Love you, gals!

Hangin' In
Old 04-09-2003, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This northern gal won't be showin' her bloomers !!! But I hope I can bring my sun hat!!!!

Now let's see....I take I-75 south, pick up Smoke, and keep heading due south.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Anns, For bringing this one back up to the top. It is now on my list for this weekend. I think I will buy the movie this time so I can watch it whenever I want. The heavy object analogy is a good one, I forgot about that. It is so true. I have been coming here for over a year now, and I can't imagine my life without you all. Your support has been vital to me at a critical time in my life. I will forever be grateful for your kindness and support and for your listening to the yuchy details of my life. My life is much better this year than last and this forum has played a MAJOR part in that. Bunches of Love to You All!!!!!!!!!!(the "you all" is so funny to me, a Jersey girl, it just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!)
Old 04-10-2003, 05:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh...we're Steel Magnolias

I thought we were Ya-Ya's. Maybe we're Steel Ya-Ya Magnolias. Women form amazing friendships and share great strength. And as The Sweet Potato Queens say "Well behaved women RARELY make history. "
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-11-2003, 05:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great idea!

Anns:

You're going to have to stop and pick me up before you go down & get Smoke! I'm just 20 mins. from I-75, and I can meet you in Lima. Then just 5 hours before we get to Smoke's house! (been to Lexington a zillion times, since my handicapped daughter had to have a couple of surgeries at Shriners Hospital).

I watched Steel Magnolia's many years ago, and hated it! But that's because my sister is diabetic, and was going through some tough stuff with that at the time. I think I'm ready to watch it again and look at it from a different perspective! I almost rented it last weekend, as a matter of fact! I think we should pick up Fried Green Tomatoes too, while were at it, at just watch one right after the other!

Love this thread--glad you brought it back, since I never saw it the first time!

Hugs,
Lyn
Old 04-11-2003, 06:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey y'all, I'll be down heeya sippin my sweet tea under the old Oak Tree out in the back.

Hangin can't wait to see your place! Should I bring a covered dish? Ya know like grits, or turnip greens and corn bread? (I thought we suthern girls drank co-cola!)

Glad everyone is headed down to our neck of the woods, just in time to experience all the pollen and see the beautiful Dogwoods and Daffadills blooming!

Great movie!!! I think I am most like Sally Fields....trying to hold things together and have everyone do it MY way!
Old 04-11-2003, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Co-cola and moonpies

Thanks for reminding me what to bring to the party. And I will wear my cute shoes, so that as I progress further below the Mason/Dixon line, people will be correct when they say "Heeeey, cute shoes!"
Peace,
Gabe