What is it like??

Old 03-11-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is it like??

I have finally decided to go and see a counselor. I am sick of feeling like I am sick (well in my mind anyway). My sessions start in two weeks, and I am really nervous about going for the first time. Anyone out there have a comment that might calm the nervous feeling I've got? I have never really been to a counselor except when I was a kid, and my Dad went through rehab, and then relapsed, and we all had to go. I didn't like it then, and hope it goes better this time. I just needed to post....I am not going to tell my parents...or anyone else for that matter. I needed to get it out. Thanks.
Shae
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Shae,

The first counseling session is usually spent taking your history. They will want to know about family history. Mental illness, addiction, and things like that. They will also want to get a general idea of how you're feeling and what you're dealing with and your history.

You have the right to take your time and build trust before you share any of your darkest secrets. You can keep your answers general or choose one issue that you are comfortable talking about at first and focus on that at first.

You are in control of your counseling session. I just went to one counselor that tried to bully me into sharing things I didn't want to share and I will never go back to her. I found another person I trust more.

You have the power and you can choose how you want your sessions to proceed. No need to be nervous as long as there is a door in the office.

Hugs,
MG

Old 03-13-2005, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey, what a question, i really agree with morn glory. ALWAYS go at YOUR own pacce, its about your recovery and however long it takes according to you is important.

i changed around counsellors a bit b4 i settled on a psychiatirst whom i could feel that i could talk to. i would highly recommend alanon or any step program because for me one meeting is like 10 years of any other therapy. go with what works for you, good on you for having the courage to want a better life, yay!!
so with you
welldone
toby
Old 03-14-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm actually trying to find a counselor who has experience dealing with ACOA....can anyone recommend a search online? Or does anyone know of a good counselor in the metro DC area?

Another question....are any of you on anti-depressents because of your issues being an ACOA?

I'm wondering if it's something that could help me...lately I've been feeling like I'm going off the deep end. I'm planning on attending a local Alanon meeting soon, but don't think I can wait that long.

Anyways...any info will help.