Notices

Help

Old 03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

I have been addicted to oxycodone for about 3 years and it's time for me to stop. A little history, I'm 38 and a stay at home dad with 2 kids. I first started when a friend gave me some as I had some minor back pain. We were at a birthday party and I remember that once I took it I couldn't stop talking which made me feel great as I'm not usually the life of the party.

Well 3 years later, I can't beleive I'm here! I don't use much but think about it the second I wake up. I don't really drink and except for marijuana in college (which I haven't smoked in 15 years) I have never tried any other drugs.

I guess I'm just tired of the up and down cycle and I don't even know what my personality is like anymore. If you looked at us from the outside you would think everything was great, nice house, great kids, 2 cars etc.

I stopped 2 days ago and feel like hell ie: tired, irritable, hot, cold and bugged by everything.

My question is what can I do and how long will this last? Do I need to go to rehab or what?

Thanks in advance, I actually feel better just typing this.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, run don't walk to the nearest Treatment. Why go it alone, and run the risk of doing it again or looking for a substitute. Been there.

Good Luck
Old 03-08-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome mick,

The duration and severety of withdrawal symptoms vary from individual to individual, but are generally related to how much you took, for how long, and on what schedule. The more regular and higher the dose, the more physical dependency/withdrawal you will experience, and v/v.

I was addicted to hydrocodone, which I took daily for about 2 years at a dose of between 10 and 40 mg, usually about 20. Modest by some standards, but plenty enough to wreak havoc on my life, particularly since I combined it with other drugs as well. Anway, Physical withdrawal took about 5 days after my last opiate dose. The symptoms you are describing are classic opiate withdrawal symptoms, and they do suck but they do end. Then comes the hard part: not picking up the next pill.

If you find you cannot do it alone, or are uncomfortable trying to do so, NA/AA do work. Rehab can be very helpful in getting a jump-start on a solid recovery program, but there is nothing magic about it. If you can get through withdrawal, flush any stash you have and do 90 meetings in 90 days or thereabouts, you can accomplish the same thing: laying a foundation for living sober through a recovery program grounded in NA/AA.

Also, you found a great board for quick support throughout the day.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I should have added that self-detox can be dangerous depending on how much you were taking and your underlying physical health. Detox is another thing rehab is good for.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've taken about 10-20 mg a day for about 3 years which to me doesn't seem like alot but it has obviously affected me greatly.

Thanks for the encouragement and I think that I will look for some treatment as I definetly don't want to go backwards.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mickmc,welcome to SoberRecovery.You can find a lot of support here.If you look at the controls and click search(right next to new posts) you will find plenty more threads about Oxycondone.