Notices

First Night

Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Night

I quit drinking last night. So it's been 1 night. It was definately the worst night of my life. So far I've managed to push away all my friends and even made my very supportive boyfriend leave. And that's only in one night. I couldn't stop shaking and the headache is so bad. I couldn't sleep and when I finally did I had horrible nightmares. I woke up this morning feeling so sick kinda like the worst hangover in the world. Funny cause I never got hangovers before. I'm not looking forward to tonight and I'm a little scared. I can't stop thinking about alcohol and sometimes I swear I can smell it or taste it. The worst part is I can't control my emotions. I either can't stop crying or can't stop yelling at people. I hope things get better soon this is the hardest thing I've ever done.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well let me say Congrats on having the knowledge to quit and Seek Support . I am Not going to make some simple statement that'll it will get Easier <But it Does > I myself have only just quit <am thinkin 4 days but Ummm memory is shot> But I found this place cause I was going exactly what your going through .. Somethings I found to help was Water lotsa Water Cranberry juice and a Strong Urge to get through this .. I know it is hard and I myself am finally gettin back to "normal" But it does get better Just hang in there an It will Be well worth it in the End I am sure your BF has some understanding as will be there for you .. And if not point him to the board maybe some of the Very Nice folks I have met can help him understand as well
Old 03-07-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Things do get better.
Have you thought about a detox center?
AA meetings?
You will find people there who won't get pushed away.

None of us need do it alone. There are many of us who have gone through the path of getting sober who would be the support you may need.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Melody, how much did you drink? Alcohol detox can be fatal if not medically supervised. I would strongly suggest you see a doctor that knows what he/she is doing regarding alcohol detox.

Hang in there...it does get better, and you will love having your life back. Living beats existing 7 days a week.

BubbaBob
Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit drinking last night. So it's been 1 night.
You won't regret it!

It was definately the worst night of my life.
I'm still happy for you. Day 1 was a nightmare for me too! I was completely out of control for a LONG time before everything settled down. Sometimes I get flashbacks even now. Just stay online and keep venting. And read all of the posts because you're not alone and we all needed help especially at the beginning. It's okay to post whatever you're feeling here or on the other forums.

Congratulations Melodyz on Day 1!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Melodyz

You are doing a brave thing. This site will be a great support for you.

Day 1 is definitely horrible...physically and emotionally. I did it 7 days ago. Find a safe place...bed? Wrap up, drink tons of water..I put big glasses all over the house and drank whenever I passsed one. I also used lots of Milk Thistle, which promotes liver function and basic Tylenol. (Advil is bad for the liver supposedly)

The phsysical recovery is different for everyone of course, but...again, it does get better.

Giving you support and prayers for tonight.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Melodyz

Hi again!

I forgot to mention that there is a very informative thread on the alcoholism board, right in the beginning by Chy that is all about what the detox experience has been for different people. It was really helpful...and time consuming...to read through it those first days.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Melody it's the hardest thing I've ever done either, but I made it and you can too. Hang in there and it will get much better.

Love, Anna
Old 03-07-2005, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well didn't make it the second night. I let everyone down my friends and especially my boyfriend. Is it even worth trying tomorrow? I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it when all I ever do is end up hurting people.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Melodyz,

Don't give up. I went through the same thing you are going through for a long time. Got a day or two, promised myself I wouldn't drink, and then drank. It is a vicious cycle that repeats endlessly. I finally broke it four weeks ago by posting on SR and also going to AA. Try an AA meeting and anounce yourself as a newcomer. You will be welcomed with open arms.

Whatever you do, never give up. Your miracle might right around the corner.

Hang in there and read what others have to say about this. You will get a lot of support here.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Morning Melodyz

I did the same thing many times also. But, each time you go for even one day without a drink you are allowing your body to rid itself of some of the toxins and gaining power over this disease. Don't get down on yourself, because you are here you are doing something about your situation.

Look forward to hearing from you again.