Notices

Remaining teachable

Old 03-04-2005, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Arrow Remaining teachable

How have you remained teachable in your recovery? In what ways has this been evident in your life?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it was evident I was teachable when I became willing to do what my sponsor said to do. One of the first things he said was to call his sponsor (I think he referred to his sponsor as my great-sponsor). I spoke to my sponsor's sponsor and he said that the most important thing to do was to do what my sponsor said to do (meaning do what his sponsee who is my sponser says to do). After that I had to go to a meeting to get a little serenity.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dixielove
How have you remained teachable in your recovery? In what ways has this been evident in your life?

I am curious why you want to know?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
knucklehead

I became teachable when I finally put the cork into the bottle.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andy F
I am curious why you want to know?
I'm curious about why you're curious. LOL

Remaining teacheable is one of if not the most important thing in recovery in my opinion. I have always made a very big deal about the humility topic and how utterly important it is to your sobriety. The reason is so that one can remain teacheable. I have seen one too many people relapse with the attitude that they thought they knew everything. Myself included!!

I have tried to remain teacheable since my relapse because it was so devastating and the last thing I thought would ever happen to me after 5 years. it showed me how truly powerful this disease is and that it is a force all its own not to be reckoned with. It has been evident in my life because I am able to hear and accept my part in things today as opposed to immediately going into false pride mode. Ego has gotten me into trouble so many times. The b est place for me to be at is to know that I don't have all the answers and to be open to hearing what others have to say. New people especially teach me about my sobriety every day.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stephanie
I'm curious about why you're curious. LOL
And I'm curious why your curious why he is curious. LOL. Just kidding around.I think its important for all of us in recovery and espcially the newcomer to remain teachable,keep an open mind and follow the suggestions of our sponsor and also of the people who we think are succesful in their recovery.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK, 'im curious about why your curious that she would be curious that I'm curious.

Sometimes there is more benefit to be had by listening than helping. And sometimes not.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And Im curious why your curious that Im curious why she is curious why you are curious why she is curious. Confused yet? I am.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Something that really got me in a dither when ever asking HOW, was the answer..........Honestly, Openmindedly and Willingly!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I can only remain reachable when I keep my heart and my mind open, when I remember to listen and really hear what another person is saying without letting my own thoughts jump in, and when I take a step back and explore the possibility that trying something new may help keep my program fresh.

Hugs
Ann