Notices

Hola from Mexico!

Old 03-02-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hola from Mexico!

Hi everyone! Just thought I would log-on and say that I am having a wonderful, SOBER time in Mexico! Things with my in-laws have not been bad at all...they have not made too many comments about me not-drinking. Just a few things to tease me about previous times I've drank on vacation and did stupid things! So that's kind of annoying, but I'm just letting it roll off my back.

Being Sober in Mexico has been a challenge, but it is so worth it. I have been up early every morning, taking walks on the beach instead of sleeping off a hangover. I've also experienced more here than I would have if I had been worried about drinking or going to all the clubs, etc.

Well, I will log on again later! Thank you all for your suggestions and support on my previous thread seeking advice for this trip. It has been very valuable to me here.

Blessings,
Renee
Old 03-02-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hola and gracias for the news Renee!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hola Renee

That is such inspiring news. I have a house in Mexico and just went through a horrible binge period that cost me alot...I just joined this group two days ago to try and recover from it. Will I ever be able to be sober here again? Will I have to give up the house? These questions have been hanging over my head for days.

Your story gives me a litte hope that does not have to be the case.

Blessings,
Lance
Old 03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

hola renee. ¿Cómo es usted? Estoy muy bien. ¿Cómo es México? el tiempo aquÃ* en Detroit es tan esperanza nevosa de i su tener un gran rato. su e inspiración a mÃ*. ¡subsistencia en guardar encendido!

hello renee. How are you? I am fine. How is mexico? weather here in detroit is snowy so i hope your having a great time. your and inspiration to me. keep on keeping on!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Renee. Visited Mexico only once but it was great. Your experience of getting up in the morning and how you feel (as opposed to trying to nurse yourself out of a hangover) is inspiring to me and reminds me of my goal (of how I would like to keep waking up in the morning in peace and sobriety).

ChrisMan
Old 03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so glad that things are going well. I remember your concerns about the trip and how to approach your extended family.

One thing that I have found, is that we accelerate our concerns and fears before such a new adventure and meeting in our sobriety, but when we look back, it just wasn't that hard nor hurtful.

Hopefully, you have gained from this realization and can use it in the future when new meetings and trips are on the horizon.

Do not know what part of Mexico you are vactioning, but I go each year to the East Cape of Baja for a week of relaxation and fishing (mid-way between La Paz and and Cabo). Far more of a family orientated experience than the constant party of Cabo.

Jerry
Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((((((((((Renee))))))))))
Hola.

Myama Brett,ey soi un alcoholico. (SP??)

Cervasa El Carcel

:friday:

Thats about as close as I get for now. Welcome Aboard SR.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Renee

Nice job!! Hope you are enjoying yourself. You are an inspiration as I have a plan to Jamaica coming in 3 weeks. Have fun!!
Old 03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hola, I am so glad your having fun!!! you deserve it. alveterzane, dot oops that German. I am so fluent..he he (((((((renee)))))))))))
Old 03-02-2005, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Have fun and we're glad you checked in!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hola. ? Como le va? Yo estoy en Argentina y mi espanol es muy malo pero es nuevo para me aqua.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Seize the day

Hi Renee,

So glad to hear you are sober in Mexico. Esta bien!

Sober fun is the best. One of the profoundest joys of sobriety has been the realization that, for me, life's true pleasures are to be found in walking along the beach, reading, exercising, listening to music, going to museums, and writing smart-ass vacation travelogues.

When I was drinking, I probably would have dismissed these simple pleasures as part a boring life. Secretly, though, I yearned for them. I knew that what I was doing, while "exciting" in a certain way (cops, sirens, medical emergencies, tense courtroom dramas...), was in fact boring beyond measure. It was the same damned thing every day, day after day, year after year. Booooooooring. It made any mindless office job I've ever held seem thrilling by comparison. The bar, again, The liquor store, again. Passed out on the floor, again. Back to the bar. Hey, let's all hear that hilarious story again about the time we got drunk in this here bar. Tell it again, it's soooo funny and interesting.

A long time ago, on a clear summer night, I left a loud, crowded, smoky bar and joined my one and only non-alcoholic friend on a bench by the ocean's edge. We talked about life, movies, politics, art, music, and all sorts of things. He always was one for learning, for exploring the rich depths life has to offer those who seek. He was also a sociable guy who liked to have a beer or two. But he never understood the death-grip that alcohol had on me.

From time to time we would look back across the dunes toward the bar, its oozing neon and pulsing woofer leaching out into the environment each time the door opened and discharged another belching drunk.

"Kev," he said at one point, sweeping his arm across the beach, the ocean, the universe itself. "THIS is what it's all about."

So Renee, pick up a handful of sand for us. Let it run through your fingers and fall back lightly to the earth. We are prisoners no more.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm home

Hi everyone!
Thank you all for your responses while I was gone. Ready this board gave me the extra umph of encouragement that I needed to make it through the week....wait for it.....SOBER!

Yep, that's right friends, I'm still sober. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I could spend a week in Mexico and not have a shot of tequila, a Margarita, a Corona....nothing. It really is an amazing accomplishment and I am proud of myself.

My sisters-in-law continued to make comments all week. One went as far to say that her husband (who was not in mexico) will be disappointed to find out there are no stories of me in a drunken stupor for her to tell him about. What an eye-opener!

Jerry- coincidentally, I was in Cabo! Yeah, the Giggling Marlin, Cabo Wabo Cantina, etc....they were calling my name...but I refrained

Thank you all!! We are living a wonderful, sober lifestyle...what could be better?
Renee