I need some answers

Old 08-17-2002, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some answers

Well here I sit after a tough week with school starting and keeping incredible hours without much sleep looking for answers. It seems the more I work towards detaching the more questions I have. Does detachment cause the A to begin to behave differently or am I just seeing things different? He really seems to always look at the down side of things. I don't remember him being that way when we got married. It is always doom and gloom just around the corner with him. It also seems that everything I do now is stupid or a waste of time or unimportant. There just seems to be a lot of "friction and tention" in the air where I am concerned.I am seeing things I never saw before. My sister noticed a change in his appearance. He gives the impression of being on the verge of an explosion all the time he even looks like he is loaded when he isn't. (or at least I don't think so, he does take Xanax, maybe he's loading up on it instead of drinking) But ya know I don't have the knot in my stomach worrying about it. That is a big improvement for me.
Please tell me, am I losing it or is he behaving differently, I would like to know if anyone has experienced similar things.

Constant
Old 08-17-2002, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Constant

When we change they do not always welcome it. Before we were predictable and they know what buttons to push, and now we are calmer and do not participate when they push our buttons. It takes a while for eveyone to get used to us, but that is now their problem.

I have no idea about Xanax, maybe Morning Glory will drop by...she knows a lot about this stuff.

You sound like you are making some positive progress. Good for you. It just gets better and better.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Constant,

I know that Xanax is very addictive. It is quite possible that your A is addicted to it. Is it prescibed? You can also buy it on the street. I hear it has some bad withdrawals. Look it up on the internet. I'll try to find it for you.

When I started to change my reactions I noticed my son's negative outlook much more than before. I think before my focus was on my guilt and fixing him. Now I really notice when he is being negative and I don't take responsibility for it anymore.

I think you are there and he could also be showing signs of xanax addiction.

Hugs and keep up the good work.

MG

Last edited by Morning Glory; 08-17-2002 at 09:18 PM.

Old 08-17-2002, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Q) What is Xanax?

A) Xanax is prescription tranquilizer which depresses the nervous system in a way similar to alcohol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q) How is Xanax used?

A) Xanax when abused is taken orally, chewed, crushed (then snorted like cocaine), or crushed (then dissolved in water and injected like heroin).

Q) What are the effects of Xanax addiction?

A) Xanax has depressant effects on brain areas that regulate wakefulness and alertness, very similar in effect to alcohol and sedative barbiturates. They enhance the action of receptors that inhibit central nervous system stimulation, and conversely, inhibit the action of receptors that stimulate the nervous system. In other words, if the nervous system were a car, these drugs help press down the brakes but make it harder to press down on the gas.

difficulty concentrating
"floating" or disconnected sensation
depressed heartbeat
depressed breathing
excessive sleep and sleepiness
mental confusion and memory loss
addiction

Q) What are the symptoms of withdrawal?

A) Essentially, withdrawal symptoms for the tranquilizers feel like the opposite of the therapeutic effects. The short-acting benzodiazapines (Xanax, Halcion, Restoril, Ativan, and Serax) can produce especially severe withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms, that are similar to those in alcohol withdrawal, include jittery, shaky feelings and any of the following:

rapid heartbeat
shaky hands
insomnia or disturbed sleep
sweating
irritability
anxiety and agitation

Q) What is Xanax addiction?

A) The tranquilizer, which was introduced in 1973, can become psychologically and physically addictive if taken in high doses for longer than eight weeks. Therefore, it should be - and usually is - prescribed as a temporary solution for people with stress and anxiety disorders, doctors say.

But while addiction is Xanax's primary risk, there's another breed of abuser out there. Like other pharmaceuticals such as OxyContin and Ritalin, Xanax has found its way from pharmacies to drug dealers, and is being abused by young, healthy people who want to get high. These club-hopping, twentysomething, casual ``Xannie poppers'' are using the drug in combination with other stimulants, from booze to cocaine.

Q) How offten is Xanax abused?

A) It is estimated that in 1999, 4 million people were currently using prescription drugs non-medically. Nearly 5 million people have at one point taken Xanax or a similar anti-anxiety medication for nonmedicinal reasons, according to a 2000 survey conducted by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Possession of a prescription drug without proof of a prescription is a felony.

More than 22,000 Xanax-related emergency-room visits were reported in the United States in 2000, up from 16,000 seven years before, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Old 08-18-2002, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Constant,

When we take steps or when our focus changes our perception changes with it. You may be seeing something that was always there for the first time. They say that nothing changes if nothing changes...well it is also true that as YOU change it creates change around you. So he may be reacting to the change in you.

Interesting isn't it that HE may be the one reacting instead of you?

See how even a small thing can set things in motion?

Hugs,

JT
Old 08-18-2002, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Morning Glory,

I've done some reading on Xanax recently to see what kind of effects it has. I am quite sure that he is addicted to those as well as alcohol. I believe that he uses alcohol to enhance the Xanax or subustitute for them. I see where most doctors put people on them for 8 weeks as long term use, well my husband has been taking them for 14 years. Yes they are prescribed!!! The doctor claims that since he has taken a small dose for all those years that he couldn't be addicted. He was prescribed up to 1and a half mg a day and now it appears that it is up to 3 mg per day. From what I have read, if he is taking 3mg that he is taking a lot.

I am going to keep going forward, but somedays I feel like I am in a fantasy world. Guess I'll just have those for a while.

Thank you all for responding. It is nice to know that I'm not losing my mind and I am not alone in this process.

Hugs to all,

Constant
Old 08-18-2002, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

You're not alone and you're doing great.

We are all here for you.

Hugs,

MG

Old 08-18-2002, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi guys....
I know about Xanax! I have panc disorder and I take Klonopion the next stepup from Xanax...but it (Klono) in your bloodstream 24/7 I wish I did not have to take it..I hate any drugs but I have no real choice. Xanax...............may be a safer drug, this i am told by my doctor, but................it only lasts for a short time and when it goes away you feel worse than ever. Mixed with Alcohol it is bad news. It is a real depressant. I can only have a drink or two with my drug and since I am not a drinker it is not a concern. MY A and x to be ....also took celexa...mixed with alcohol is a KILLER...I know of someone who died from this combo.
Xanax is handed out like candy today...bet you can ask 20 people and at least three have it in their purse.
It really doestake that edge off in 20 minutes...very popular. But once you start it is a hard havit to break

Love Kitty
Old 09-10-2002, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I don't know how "on target" my response will sound, but, here goes: I go through the same thing with my "A". The more I detach and refuse to participate, the more addled his brain gets.... I think he is so used to chaos and so used to his addiction being the center of the universe that he is truly confused! He knows how bad things can get when he drinks, but NOW they are only bad for him b/c I do not respond,react or participate. If he asks me a direct ? about his behavior I will answer it and if he wants to talk about his actions I will listen,but I think he is learning that his consequences are his own and I will love him but I will not "save" him from himself, that is his job! I learned not to set myself up fordisappointment by always watching him and waiting for the other shoe to fall.... Now I just keep on keepin on and we have a really great relationship despite the periodic binges so I guess we are lucky...Detaching has allowed me to get my sanity back! Just keep doing the next right thing to take care of yourself. ((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) Jamy