A random read...

Old 02-14-2005, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

A random read...

I am reading (listening) to a book right now and the heroine in a young lady who's father dies in a questionable accident with an unknown lady in the car with him. The unknown lady died too.

The heroine loves her "Daddy". He was charming and fun while her mother was pinched and sour. She was a daddy's girl. I have only gotten as far as her finding out that her daddy's companion in the car was one of a series of mistress's because her mom 'fessed up. All through her childhood her mom was an ogre and her "daddy" was the fun one.

This is a novel but a writer must write based on some sort or truth. This dumb novel is all about me and my childhood. My dad is alive but the rest is the same.

To be continued....
JT
Old 02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Writers do write based on some truth.
Good writers can only write well about what they know.
And they share their truth hoping that it might help you with yours.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

JT,

I am right there with you. I am learning NOW that it was from my mother that I learned to be attracted to the "bad boys". My mom is in her mid 70's and still only knows a tiny bit of her family truth. She really doesnt want to know the rest...

Her sister was talking one day about when their father went to prison. (in the 1930's) She said "Don't you remember when father was gone? He was in PRISION for 18 months for alienation of affection." He had an affair with a married woman whose husband pressed charges. Back then it was SERIOUS stuff.

Amazing. And after that, my grandmother took him back and lived like a queen with him at her every beck and call.... and my mother was such a daddy's girl... . I have no idea if he continued to be a philanderer, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And so the story goes. I am hoping to rewrite MY ending.

Barb