So what does one have to do??

Old 02-13-2005, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry So what does one have to do??

AH has been actively drinking for couple years now. Today, finally, after couple years, I decided to actually go to an Al Anon meeting. I have the list of local meetings from their website. So I go to the church at the right time but no one's there. They're not even listed on the room schedule. There's no phone numbers listed on the website for someone to call in this area about meetings, and the website was just recently updated last month, so what gives?? how am I supposed to find a meeting if they're not where they're supposed to be? Does this happen a lot? I mean, some of the meetings listed are a good half hour drive away, I sure wouldn't want to drive an hour for nothing.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How frustrating. Did you try calling the main Al-Anon number? Maybe they have some contact numbers?

Try this site, it looks like all the numbers are listed here....
http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/meetings/meeting.html
Old 02-13-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Perhaps you ought to look up Alanon in the white business pages of your telephone directory and speak with someone and tell them what happened....By all means do not give up.
Most cities do have an office that opperates during regular business hours that is ran by volunteers some cities even have a hot line....
Old 02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mushroom, do not give up. Al anon is so worth it. When I finally got up the courage to go to my first meeting, there was only one other person there. What if she had had a dentist appointment that day? I can only hope that I would have had the courage to try again, but I fear I would have felt so let down, I might never have gone back. I really hope you don't let this happen to you. I can only tell you that my short journey in al anon (less than a year) has already led me to a path where I can see peace as a real possibility in my life. And give yourself time. I went to al anon expecting answers, or maybe a list of tips for fixing my alcoholic! I didn't get that. I came back for the 6 meetings that they suggested, and stayed for myself, not for him. Good luck to you.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you do stick with it, because I know how you feel, but it is really worth it.

I went to my first and at no one was there. I didn't even know exactly where to go once I got to the building! And I was already emotional with everything I was going through, that's why I was seeking the group in the first place. Now I was supposed to not be shy and somehow find this meeting? That just ain't me.

When I looked lost someone asked if they could help me and I said AL Anon and they pointed down to another building down the parking lot.

I walked down there and the only door was locked. It was dark and raining and I was so ready to leave. Just then two other women walked up and said how so and so was running late again and can we get in and start setting up? We couldn't and sat outside and slowly other people came, one at a time, and then they opened the room.

I immediately sensed that several of the people knew each other well and were just happy to be there. And yet a few others were like me, there for the first time. It was a beginners meeting.

It didn't take long to realize I could speak as much or as little as I wanted to. I could just listen and not speak at all. I was welcome, and I was surrounded by people who knew what I was going through. People who knew what it was like, how it felt, and weren't necessarily handling it any better than I was. It was the frist time I felt I wasn't alone, and that I wanted to listen and learn more.

It is so worth it.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If nothing else, call all the churches. Sometimes Al-Anon meets in churches. or they know where to find. They should know, but try them all.