Notices

6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2005, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't post here much anymore and I'm not really a newcomer anymore but I never posted anywhere else and I wanted to share that I have 6 months as of Jan 24. I also wanted to thank those of you who responded w/ words of encouragment and support when I needed it.

It's not been easy and I think the hardest part for me has been forgiving myself for the things I've done to my family as a result of my alcoholism. It's amazing to me that most of the people I know knew what was going on even though I thought I hid it so well. I was always a "drink and dial" person so every now and then what I've said while drunk has come back to haunt me.

I look back now and wonder how in the hell I didn't kill myself or my kids by driving drunk, how I took care of them (my husband works 24 hour shifts so I was alone w/ them alot) and I wonder how much they saw or heard. A couple of you may remember one of my posts a few months ago where I said that my son told a family member that now "mommy likes me again" (I would yell a lot and scream at them when drunk). That still breaks my heart.

I love my kids more than anything in the world and it just goes to show how much control this disease can have on us. I guess I just wanted to share this to let those of you who are struggling to quit that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'll never say that I won't drink again but I know I won't today. I've really tried hard not to look at next week or next month. It's much easier to just look at today. One day at a time as they say.

We all deserve forgivness, we all deserve peace, and we are capable of so much more than we think. Thanks again and good luck!

Many blessings,

Kelly
Old 02-06-2005, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kelly,

Congrats to you! Forgivness is very hard,but once we forgive ourselves....the real healing begins!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

6 months!! WOW!!

<marquee>Congratulations Kelly!!! :bravo </marquee>
Old 02-06-2005, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

(((Kelly))) Congratulations on your 6 months!! That is wonderful. May your healing and growth continue!!
Sobriety is a blessing!!
Big Hugs,
Missy
Old 02-06-2005, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months Kelly and thanks for sharing your experience. Stay strong.
Val
Old 02-06-2005, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

6 MONTHS!!!!!,CONGRATS!
I can relate to what you are saying about those ghost stories as I call them, I went to a birthday party for a close friend friday night and heard far too many stories at my expense. But I am looking at them as more of a great reason to stay sober.
I know what you mean about kids and drinking, I think back and cringe at all I have done, what if I had to take one of them to the hospital, I might have lost them to the system or worse.
Once again keep it up!!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
knucklehead

kelly congratulations for your 6 months
Old 02-06-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YAY, KELLY! CONGRATS ON SIX MONTHS!

:band
Old 02-06-2005, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Terrific Kelly!!!!

Congratulations on 6 months!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 02-06-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

congratulations on 6 months! thats awesome!!!!!
My 2 daughters left to go live with their dad bacause they could't take me anymore.
Instead of a lightbulb moment that i was off my rocker I used it as an opportunity to dive into my addiction, well, I was gone for 3 years!!!!
Only by the grace of God am I here today. I ended up in detox , a 28 day treatment and then another treatment program for 3 1/2 months, through that i now have my oldest daughter back living with me and my youngest still lives with her dad. He just calls me a loser every chance he gets, but I know that with time things will work out.
Admitting i had a problem came before accepting and acceptance of the person I was and the things I did could only come before forgiveness.
Forgiveness doesn't happen over night, it's a mind set. The person I most resented was myself. In order to get anywhere close to forgiving myself I first had to accept.
I can not change my past, nor forget, I can, accept in order to start forgiving.
With one foot in the past and one foot in the future I'm only peeing on today!
I pray for you another 6 months!!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Congratulations on 6 months!!! Keep coming back.

na4today
Old 02-06-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Sounds like my story

Kelly,

grats on the 6 months. i've said this often, the not drinking is easy. living with ourselves is hard. i was going to post something on the same lines as you.

we can never undo what's been done. we trust god, don't drink clean house and help others.

forgive yourself for your past. do the next right thing for your family.

stay in touch, this is still the cheapest therapy around.

you made it thru the hardest part. going thru the holidays sober is a good start in your foundation of sobriety.