Notices

Newbie with some questions

Old 02-04-2005, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie with some questions

Hi there, just wondering if anyone out there help me with this. I know I have a drug abuse problem, but am not an alcoholic, yet everywhere I turn they try to classify me as one and focus on alcoholism in treatment. I go to AA meetings also, but I am not sure If I really need to be there. Is there anyone else out there with this problem or who has been in this situation? I am really not sure where to turn. I have started treatment at an addiction center, but it seems all the patients are there because they are on probation or have gotten DWI's. I have never been in any sort of legal trouble. Please help!! I know I will end up in trouble if I don't quit!!
Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi sicosecrets,

Welcome to soberrecovery. This is a wonderful community with a lot of support. I have been in recovery for a little over 9 months. This is the way I have been looking at it. I have more of a problem with drugs than alcohol. However, I have gotten carried away with my drinking when my drugs weren't available. I attend AA meetings. When the word alcohol is said, I just replace it in my own mind with drugs. I have been through the same kind of situations (emotionally and spiritually) as the people I meet in the meetings. I am fortunate that the outpatient I am in deals with drugs, however, I have been to those that deal more with alcohol. It is the same disease. We have an addiction to drugs. AA members have an addiction to alcohol. Basically, a drug is a drug. One is wet, one is dry. They both will get you high. You can recover in AA. Just keep an open mind. Please read some of the other posts and see where you can identify. Don't compare, because we all go through our own situations. One last thing, when you say you haven't been in any legal trouble, that is what we call a yet. The first time I came in I did the same thing. I said "I'm not that bad" "I haven't done that". Well, I went back out, used some more, and did those things I had heard about.

I hope you find what you are looking for. This is a great place to come for additional support. Keep coming back!

Sherry
Old 02-05-2005, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((((((Sicosecrets))))))))

I'm grateful that when I arrived at AA they let me diagnose myself as an alcoholic. I joined because I am one. "A drug is a drug is a drug" is an old treatment center saying I've heard lots about as well. Just wondering if there is a Drugs Anonymous, or Narcotics Anonymous group in your local Community? If so, I would suggest checking into their schedule and seeing if maybe you fit in there better.

It's my understanding that non-alcoholics ought not be led to believe they can become members of AA. However, it is left to each member, themselves, to make the determination as to if whether they are alcoholic or not. Each individual ought to be given the opportunity to diagnose themselves & I am grateful they afforded me that opportunity in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Treatment Centers seem financially dependent upon diagnosing anyone as addicts/alcoholics that come in for evaluations. It might be due to financial motives but I ought not go there in this thread. LOL

Welcome to SR, hope you find what your looking for.

(((((((((((Sicosecrets))))))))))))
Old 02-05-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi sisosecrets, and welcome to SoberRecovery.
Try this link...
http://66.175.31.250/
It should take you to a Narcotics Anonymous page for your area.
In the meantime, keep posting if you need to share some of what you're going through or have anymore questions.
Glad you're here.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all

I want to thank you for your posts. They are all helpful. I am at a point now where it's nice to know I'm not alone and I'm definitely not special! I wanted to comment that I was advised to avoid the NA meetings in my area. I am a bit disappointed and confused but apparently the meetings here are sketchy. They are in places where it is easy to score and people will approach you after meetings to go score. This is what I have heard from several people that attend AA and go to the treatment center. I actually thought about going to NA on the chance I could score but then I figured I had better stay away for now!