Notices

Cant quit

Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant quit

Hi.

Im in a bad spot here. Im drinking about a case of beer a day. Ive quit before on my own when I was drinking less but its to the point now where I really dont have it in me to stop. On the other hand, I dont have it in me to keep drinking, health wise and financially etc.

Are there any drugs available, aside from tranquilizers, that can help get me through the first week? The shakes I can handle, its the dysphoria and the constant thought of drinking a cold beer that I cant handle. If I can tackle that, I can make it.

Tried AA once, it was ok but it doesnt help at 9am when Im at my worst. I have some tranquilizers that do help with the physical side of it, but I cant get my head to cooperate, if you know what I mean.

Dont misunderstand where Im coming from. This is not an issue of ignorance on my part. Its about obstinance.

Any thoughts?

Nor is it about arrogance, I know the score so to speak.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Grkda,

Welcome! I'm Anna, alcoholic, sober about 4 years now and I don't think there are any drugs that can get your mind to stop craving a drink early on in sobriety. It's my experience that the only way to lessen the cravings is to face them head on. Each time you beat a craving you become a bit stronger and the cravings lessen. You can do it and the cravings do get much better. It just takes some time and some hard work on your part.

I hope you keep hanging around here and you'll get lots of support and inspiration.

Love, Anna
Old 02-02-2005, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi anna, thanks for the thoughts. No surprise on the magic medication, but I wondered if there was ANY meds that were available these days. Not surprised with the answer though.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh goodness I hear you. Instead of getting better, I am getting worse week by week. Only thing that can possibly keep me from drinking, even for a day or two, is if I have something to look forward too. Sometimes there just isn't anything.

Talk to friends and family, if you have any, spend time with them. I have none anymore, and I really miss that human interaction. Do not take anyone for granted, reach out, and they will likely help you. Seclusion will kill us.

-D
Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
It's not that you can't, it's just that your not ready. I looked for the magical solution for 20+ years, wanted it done for me, but didn't want to wait that long for it to happen. When your ready, when your done, it will happen. Yes, if you want to quit go to a doc and they can provide some mild tranqs for a couple of days to ease the withdrawals, after that, they won't keep you on it as maintenance medication becomes in inevitable option, and well.. that ain't good either!

Stick around, maybe we'll rub off! *hugs*
Old 02-02-2005, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.You sound the way i was.I went into rehab for 3 weeks and i lasted 3 and a half months and gave up because i liked to feel sorry for myself.So i went back to drinking like you said a case of beer a day and i found that pot made the high even better boy was i stupid i think i was trying to get another addiction going to.Li
ke chy said you have to want to quit first and it well slowly get better.Lay off the other strong meds they well get you addicted to them posibly to.Don,y get me wrong i,m not perfect i,ve only been sober 33 days.So keep on trying you well quit the booze when your really ready hopefully is know.Good luck my friend and keep posting..